The Official Work Pictures Thread

I cut a wasp's nest in half with the hedge trimmer today.
They didn't much like that.
happily I keep some antihistamines in the truck.

I didn't see the nest before I hit it.
Then it was too late to do anything but run away.

But of course. I could never offer a way to change the past.

That would be cool, though!

Soapy water kills them instantly and won't harm the hedge.

I tried soapy water once on a underground hornet's nest under a tree I had to remove. I filled up my pump up sprayer and adjusted the nozzle to high. I got it pumped up and as soon as I hit the entrance of the nest those bastards came at me with a vengeance! I got nailed a half dozen times before I made it back into the cab of my truck. I will never waste my time with soapy water again. Might as well have stood there and asked them nicely not to sting me, would have been just as effective.

I haven't posted much here lately.
Simply haven't had many interesting jobs.

Last week we dropped and chipped a multistem Ash.
Tied it all together and wiched it down.
Used the 661 on the small stem and hit a nail.
Switched to the 441 for the big stem, which is why it has the center bored out.
Hit a major nail on that one as well and eventually finished the felling cut with a 260.

Hit 3 more nails while turning it into firewood.

P1060216.JPG P1060218.JPG P1060219.JPG

Had to clear about 4 acres of woodland to give a bunch of people a better view.

Mostly wild cherry, Holly and hawthorn with some big multi-multi stemmed prunus ceracifera in the mix.
Those are nasty, because they will be intwined in each other and eventually you get to the last stem, cut it, and the whole thing crashes down on top of you.
Add some nasty thorns to that and it really isn't fun.
Add a temperature of 100 degrees, which for us is HOT and it was no fun.

Mathias our former apprentice got stuck badly by a P. ceracifera and ended up in hospital 2 days later with a hand that looked like he'd done 13 rounds with Mike Tyson and forgot his glove at home.
Intravenous antibiotics and the whole works. That thing just turned septic!

We'll leave everything for the rest of the summer, so it can dry out.
Then have it forwarded and chipped for biomass.

P1060221.JPG P1060220.JPG P1060222.JPG

Soapy water doesn't work on underground nests.

Don't use soapy water on underground nests.

Did some chainsaw training for the national trust on the weekend...started off out in the shade under the palms and cedars...

Attachments

• IMG_20180707_092626.jpg
    IMG_20180707_092626.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 22
Rescued this TPO tree from strangler fig last weekend, bitch of a job, raining, passing thunderstorm, busy road, had to block one lane, using my buddy's truck mounted high lift...sticky icky ficus sap and wet.

Attachments

• IMG_20180708_160606.jpg
    IMG_20180708_160606.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180708_160422.jpg
    IMG_20180708_160422.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 39
I did a little job this weekend,felling dwarf mistletoe killed spruce on another island.Didn't get any pictures of the actual work, but the view was pretty nice.
89efecfcc8cfa072fcb19b56a073dd2d.jpg
84d79e3032c7ddeb9a4819a3e16c6b09.jpg

OK.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VkM-X7iCGtI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As a kid at SeaWorld...

You shoulda seen the water Shamu displaced when he leaped! Everybody in the first 1/2 dozen rows got drenched! Me and my bro were up against the plexiglass wall and most of it shot right over us. Fun times!

Huge root flare on a sugar maple that was over 4ft wide, 461 with a 30" bar. All I could hear was Mick telling me I need to buy a bigger grinder, over and over and over for a few hours.....

20180710_131234.jpg

Your machine is paid for so it’s almost all profit Peter. It would be nice to have many things but one can make do and make money with what they have

Back