The Official Work Pictures Thread

Treemoval

Bigger removal job today. On the slate: 3 Siberian Elms, American Elm, Box Elder, Ailanthus. Really can't figure out the motivation for investing big $$$$ in all the tree work, when there are at least 4 other additional removals that should be done, plus trimming, and the house needs some serious renovations. At least they won't have anything growing over their home anymore, might give them a chance at a bigger back deck & usable back yard space. We brought out the chip truck and log grapple truck, also an additional ground support/CDL driver so we could be 100% effective, even dumping a load of chips and a load of logs mid-day (no wood worth keeping).

Removals went well, first Siberian was a clear drop. 2nd Siberian had to fit between 2 fence posts (fence itself removed by owner). Nailed it in the slot. American elm was next. A beauty, but probably at the end of its useful life anyway. Slow drop right in the slot between the fence posts and between 2 trees. Poison ivy vines everywhere at the base of all the last trees made it difficult to function at full speed. Meanwhile, I wrecked down the box elder out front (just a 4' trunk with big shoots coming off, one folded former leader. I chunked it up with the 395, then stump ground it. We'll be back in the morning for the Ailanthus, should take us the morning for dropping & grinding it.
P1330344.jpg P1330359.jpg P1330364.jpg P1330386.jpg P1330407.jpg P1330441.jpg P1330424.jpg P1330427.jpg

TCB!

Seems to me that huge chippers must eat some metal time to time that can really put a hurt on stuff, especially rip and chip of crap wood.

Tree of Hell

Not much to say -- wrecked down the Ailanthus today. No rigging, wouldn't trust it anyway with this fickle "wood." Pieced it out, dropped it, stump ground it. Done by 2 pm. One and a half loads of chips (45 cubic yards). In hindsight, we could've saved almost 2 hours if we had brought back out the log truck today, for a $90 dump ticket. Underneath the Tree of Hell, we found the doorway to hell, rotten downward. And I thought it was in Stull, KS!
P1330464.jpg
P1330469.jpg
P1330479.jpg
P1330488.jpg
P1330502.jpg
P1330504.jpg
P1330506.jpg
P1330516.jpg
P1330524.jpg
P1330533.jpg
P1330550.jpg
P1330555.JPG
P1330557.jpg
P1330566.jpg
P1330577.jpg
Afterward, just a couple of light storm cleanup jobs -- one locust limb, one Bradford pear leader.

Untrustworthy

Why did you think the tree couldn't handle rigging? :?
The nature of the beast. We would only trust the main spar coming off the trunk, but that point was too low for rigging. Climber was afraid for his tie-in point, but it held for the duration. We did use a tag line for the one limb that went over the house, and that hinge & pull did work without breaking. Everything else was far enough away from the porch and power lines to just drop. We did brush the communications cable in the front a couple of times, but that's why you call it "brush," right? The "lawn" was irrelevant -- scrubby grass/weeds in loamy river bottom soil. So we just wrecked it down and the climber kissed the sky (not too high up by that point).

And our post mortem examination showed the rotting out stump, several rotting roots that I didn't have to chase with the stump grinder, just a swift kick of the boot. The main trunk had that obvious split right in the middle, at least making it easy to split the cookies into quarters. Also, in chipping some of the leaders, they completely split apart in the feed wheels. Stump cut and roots were showing bluing, a fungus setting it. Not quite a "bad tree" in Gerry's parlance, but nearly so. Certainly untrustworthy.

Oh, and Stig -- the last picture before the climber came down, he's one handing the Jonsered rear handle, 20" bar. I guess it just comes automatic for him to operate one handed and manipulate the wood with the other hand.

Finishing up a three day removal of some big fallen river side ash.

Put a punishing price on it as everything had to come up a steep slope, then through a 100 meters of garden, and through a small gate.

Insurance company wriggled and squealed but finally oked it.

This is why you write out checks for iron...

Attachments

• DCB05B89-1027-41FD-99A5-F4951F592CCF.jpg
    DCB05B89-1027-41FD-99A5-F4951F592CCF.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 159F38A6-7BD0-4258-B5B0-36C8146B901A.jpg
    159F38A6-7BD0-4258-B5B0-36C8146B901A.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 27
Oh, and Stig -- the last picture before the climber came down, he's one handing the Jonsered rear handle, 20" bar. I guess it just comes automatic for him to operate one handed and manipulate the wood with the other hand.

You do realize i was jerking your chain with that one-hand comment, I hope.

I one-hand saws as much as anyone.

I'm happy that Ailanthus doesn't grow to that size around here.

"Suppose bamboo is useful sometimes though."?? Can't find the picture with the tent on the platform. Kids used to camp out there...kept the Tigers away.:D

Attachments

• garyone.jpg
    garyone.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 28
  • garytwo.jpg
    garytwo.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 24
This is why you write out checks for iron...

From someone in France even! Checks are what you do to iron. Cheques are what you write for iron. :D

Regardless, good to see the iron earning its keep.

Cool pics on the Alianthus. Hate those trees with a passion, always enjoyable to see one bite the dust.

Nice pics, Mick.

What brand is your grapple, thanks.

If I recall correctly Cory I believe he had it custom built.

If I'm not correct I'm sure Mick will let me know. :D

Yes it is.

I used Ch?ques first off then changed it to checks because I get tired of looking at gobbledygook caused by the software on here.

Weird it doesn't do that for me?

That's a hell of a machine/grapple setup. Always enjoy seeing pics of it making money!

You do realize i was jerking your chain with that one-hand comment, I hope. I one-hand saws as much as anyone.
Oh, I fully realize it -- and now I'm "set free" enough to respond in kind. Note my playful responses re: working in forests and one-handing stuff. It's only going to get better from here on out. :D

Cool pics on the Alianthus. Hate those trees with a passion, always enjoyable to see one bite the dust.
Unfortunately, "it" didn't bite the dust, I did! Got my full share while stump grinding that powdery, dry wood, far and away more than the fellas chipping the logs.

What brand is your grapple, thanks.
His loader is a Multione. Grapple is custom built; I think he had some second thoughts about a few details of the design, but it seems to function well and get the job done! We're still mulling over the articulating loader vs. mini skidsteer pros/cons before we pull the trigger. If we go mini skid, we'd have to bring a multitude of sheets o' plywood (like August does) or invest in turf protecting access mats.

Skid steers are fine for not getting stuck in sand on construction sites, but are essentially worthless in residential tree work. Articulating wheeled loader is the way to go. Whatever extra it costs in initial outlay it will save you in turf damage and/or time and materials to prevent turf damage.

We will agree to disagree on that. During this time of year I can run my 650 wide track bobcat across most lawns with no noticeable damage after final clean up. I can run my mini skid most of the year with out any damage. I will say that most damage done is operator error. Any machine will tear up the turf if the operator doesn’t care. And matting is also necessary for any machine under given circumstances. A man just needs to know his machines limitations

+1.

A skid steer is a million times better than no loader, and an artic is many times better than a skid steer

Didn't someone here have a huge roll of used conveyor belt for ground protection? Thought i saw that here....

Back