The Official Work Pictures Thread

You don't pay sales tax on a grinder here in Wisco it's considered a green waste recycling device or something like that.

We did a bit of urban logging the last two days.
Had some 100 trees to take out at a college campus, so they could add a wing to one of the buildings.

We were using our favourite clean-up tool.......a forwarder.
Unfortunately the message that we needed a full day to get ahead of him was lost somehow, he arrived 1 hoiur after we started.
With only two guys falling and bucking, since Mathias is still laid up with a septic hand, we were very hard pressed to hold him.
Working right next to a forwarder is a dangerous thing, especially since the kid in this one runs it like it is an F-14 in a dogfight.
He managed to knock me ass over teakettle yesterday and got yelled at good.

I had priced the job for 3 fallers in two days.
Richard and I finished at 10 AM today, talk about hauling ass and killing trees.

I simply didn't have time for fotos with that forwarder breathing down my neck, so a couple of after shots is all.
P1060229.JPG P1060228.JPG P1060230.JPG P1060232.JPG P1060243.JPG

The company that bid the whole job did it for free, figuring the chips would pay for it.
No way is that going to cover it, they overestimated the amount badly.

Second time in a week they have pulled that one.
The Land clearing job we did last week was for them as well.
They had figured on 4-500 cubic meters on that job, I think 150 is more like it.
The owner got kind of quiet for a moment when he asked how much I estimated and I told him.:lol:

Their problem is that they are not based on the island. I think they need someone reliable to look at stuff for them.
They handle a LOT of big logging operations all over the country, why they would involve themselves in a small urban job like this, I don't know.

Seems like we'll be doing a lot of their hand felling on the Island in the future, so maybe I can help them out assessing wood mass.

Sounds like you got off easy getting rustled up by a machine. Surprising somewhat to me that that proximity would be allowed or that you'd be ok working like that?

Glad it all went well.

We had pulled a tree and the rope was stuck under it.
So we cut the top free and asked him to lift it off.
Unfortunately there was some branches tagled into those from the log so the log came along and hit me.
Normally lifting a top with somebody standing next to it, you'd go slow, but that young guy just yanked it up.

After I yelled at him, he got more careful, but we still kept an eye on him constantly.
Far from an ideal situation, but sometimes you just got to cowboy down and git her done.

Question...

Should this work pics thread be in this forum? Is there a more suitable forum it should be in instead?

I always have to look for it.
But then, I'm more of a logger than a climber.

That's why I asked. When I look in the forums I think it might be in, I can never find it.

Perhaps Odds and Ends? MBTV?

???

Thanks for the welcome messages. There was some climbing to install the pull line high enough the tree to create some decent leverage.

Back