The Official Work Pictures Thread

Since you have a large chipper, you are able to process huge limbs. Cool, take the handle off and move whole limbs to the chipper.
Therein lies the rub. With our larger chipper, we are reluctant to chop stuff down small enough to make efficient use of an arbor trolley. Unless it's Osage like today, the chipper can usually crush stuff down smaller so we keep the feeding material pretty big. I could see some application for it on a light pruning job with lots of small tip cuts. But generally, we don't take the saw time to cut up stuff any smaller than the ground crew can manage efficiently. And it's usually 3 on the ground, one in the tree; sometimes 2:2 ratio if 2 climbers are needed -- so we're keeping the chipper busy. Or winching in huge limbs from a drop, with minimal handling.

But take yesterday as an example; we had no application for the AT -- Job 1). 4 limbs in the backyard, no fence, level ground. We chopped each limb in half, so it was only 8 pieces, all far too large for an AT. Job 2). The tree was in the front yard, right by the street. Chipper was 20' away. Job 3). Chipper was at the end of their driveway, just past the drop zone -- so only 30' away at most. We hauled over rounds with the hand truck, winched other limbs in directly and part of the trunk that was small enough diameter to directly chip without processing (apart from limbing).

And Raj, we don't typically roll out all our gear at once (to avoid damage, theft, loss), nor put it up all at once. We keep things in the boxes in the truck until needed, or during initial rigging setup. But everything is usually pretty close at hand in the truck and one of the ground crew fetches it as needed. Things get put away when we are done with them, not kept out until rollup time.

Nice trimming, get some sunshine on that lawn.
Uhh, "lawn" would be putting it kindly. It was a dried mudslide, hardly a blade of grass anywhere. I don't know if it is the kids playing killing the "grass" or if it was the horse/dog (couldn't quite tell which -- given the piles-o-poo). At least we gave them a fighting chance to plant some grass or bring in some topsoil and throw down some sod.

You know a lot of things don't make sense until you try them. But dragging brush by hand is as hard, slow and inefficient as it gets ime.

Many of our tools are kinda like that. Maybe not used all that much, but damn nice to have them in our bag of tricks!

A mini is not a consideration it is a must. If you are on the fence, well, fall off and go buy a mini.
All that to say, we're not likely to get an arbor trolley any time soon, but we are going to get a mini!

Many of our tools are kinda like that. Maybe not used all that much, but damn nice to have them in our bag of tricks!
That's probably where we differ from the norm. We have refined down to a peak level of efficiency -- something akin to production level tree work (but still of high quality, not hack work). But we don't have many trinkets or toys or little used tools. Apart from the rigging stuff, we're using everything every day on every job. Whatever is on board the truck is generally going to be used in a day's work.

Mini is great. I’ve got one and use it a lot. Heck my 8 year old daughter uses it to plow the drive in the winter and haul firewood up

The thing i don't get GP, is if they are too big for the Arbor trolley, how are you moving them without iron? I understand the gravy front yard trees where the winch just pulls it to the chipper, but you could have probably done the whole job in 1 or two trips. If they are too far to winch without digging in, you can place the butt end of a 40 ' maple leader on the trolley and winch it in, without plowing up the yard. It's your business, and you seem to be doing very well, i just really think a tool that is less than the mornings profit for you would pay for itself in less than a week.

I had a mini long before I'd ever heard of the Arb trolley but still almost pulled the trigger on one just for the occasional job that the mini couldn't fit.

I was wondering the same thing Kyle. Too big for the trolley? How were they handled?

I'd be curious to hear from others. How many here are using everything on their truck everyday? For me the truck was the toolbox, you took the tools out needed for that particular day. But just like the toolbox in my shop I had many tools that might not get used for days or weeks, but were always there when I needed them.

but still of high quality, not hack work.

That's a matter of opinion... Scalping those hardwoods to 30' without a green leaf and leaving many 4"+ cuts on the trunk would not be considered high quality around here... Just the opposite.. Makes me cringe when I drive by a tree looking like that. We also don't prune American Elms anytime the bug could be on the move

PS... I know I should just keep my mouth shut... but I can't help myself... Maybe I need another time out Butch!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would say it's pretty hard to make informed judgments from a couple ground level photos. I'd invite you over to take a look personally and see what you think as far as our pruning cut choices and the technical quality of the pruning cuts. We took the max 30% off the trees and met the customer's objectives. The tenants were very pleased to see daylight in their yard instead of heavy shade, and the property manager was very happy because it was a lease dependent condition to keep the tenant. And honestly, I've seen what the local affordable tree service does (hack work) and even others with better reputations (better, but not what is in the best interest of the trees nor will keep them from failing in a storm). But I'm not wanting to throw anyone under the bus. We strive to educate our customers as to what's best for the trees, but ultimately it's up to them what they want and we try to satisfy their objectives through the lens of optimal tree care.

A lot of what we do is not for trees, its for houses, cars, people, views, etc. Some of what we do is for trees, like early structural pruning.

The customer's choice was either remove 2-3 limbs per American Elm or remove them entirely. They opted for the former option, and the trees still have a fighting chance yet the tenants have their desired sunlight.

We inquired with conservation years ago and the only time we could trim Elms out of season was a broken dangerous hanger or larger hazardous deadwood cut outside of the BBR (leave a dead stub.)

Back