The Official Work Pictures Thread

Thanks guys.

Peter I have an alaskan mill but it wouldn’t have been big enough for this piece. Not mention I can’t do stuff like that since I live in a subdivision. I built a woodshed at another place I lived. It was a lot of fun but it took awhile to cut all the material. It would be fun to slab some of the bigger wood to build table tops out of.

h
fm 5-125 will probably never use stuff from it, but then again you will always be using stuff from it as raw principles (like ABoK)

This book was mentioned in another thread, and if you have large wood like that to move, it really can turn a terrible job into something that's not too bad. Before there were cranes, which use a counter weight to resist overturning, there were derricks, which use guylines and beams in compression to resist overturning. By using concepts in this book, and maybe even building something to fit on the trailer itself, you can load wood weighing hundreds to thousands of pounds in one motion by hand, same as equipment but slower. Using powered winches you can do it as fast as a crane could.

Here's a job I did not too long ago, simple drop and clean up. I did it alone, and used a tree by the road to build a simple column derrick, which I then loaded entire arbor trolley brush loads and the trunk in 6-8 foot sections. The spar is just a straight limb from a Bradford pear that was part of the job, hacked off at about 15' long. I ran an extension cord to run my right angle drill on my homemade grcs, then released a swing guyline to allow it to swing over the truck, then simply lowered it down. Whole thing took maybe 20 min to rig up, over half of that was me trying to hook up the grcs to the trunk by myself. The spar was held up by a rope in a higher crotch, simply pulled up by hand and then tied off. When I was done, I lowered the boom, cut it up, tossed it in, and down the road I go.
92050.jpg
While not as fast or cool as a loader, it worked on this job, and the equipment was what I had with me, and transported in the passenger seat. I've done similar setups in the construction world too, usually with a couple of chain falls. While they seem ridiculously outdated, and they are, they still work way better than grunting it up there by hand, and are used when other methods just don't work. Bridge construction and tearing down tower cranes are still done with stiffleg derricks, guy derricks are used for super heavy lifts, and Chicago derricks are still handy in a pinch. You can use wood to make the spars, and even add a small one on the trailer so it's ready to go when you need it.

Cool post, kyle. How'd you anchor the base of the spar so it was planted enough yet still able to swing?

Running bowline around trunk, long tail, then you lift up the butt of the spar, round turn and half hitches. Everything on the top is tied in roughly the same place, and that makes the only load on the spar are compression loads.

Here's a similar setup, lowering a water softener in my basement mechanical room. Used an extension ladder as a gin pole, chain fall for hosting and lowering, 3 guylines with the back one going to a porta wrap (so I could boom down), and a couple grade stakes behind the ladder so it couldn't kick out. Lacking equipment sucks, but you can load easier by rigging up a quick derrick.

92232.jpg

Thanks guys.

Peter I have an alaskan mill but it wouldn’t have been big enough for this piece. Not mention I can’t do stuff like that since I live in a subdivision. I built a woodshed at another place I lived. It was a lot of fun but it took awhile to cut all the material. It would be fun to slab some of the bigger wood to build table tops out of.

They have sub divisions in Idaho? Thought it was all grizzly bears and trout streams

Thanks guys.

Peter I have an alaskan mill but it wouldn?t have been big enough for this piece. Not mention I can?t do stuff like that since I live in a subdivision. I built a woodshed at another place I lived. It was a lot of fun but it took awhile to cut all the material. It would be fun to slab some of the bigger wood to build table tops out of.

Ripping in half can leave you one live edge. Ripping into quarters, then milling, could make awesome corner shelves.

I'm starting to get into the idea of making a lot more noise at job sites.

Gives more opportunity for neighbors to see you, and ask for a bid.

This could have all been firewood.

I though silver maple was just junk.
This guy, Matt Cremona https://youtu.be/96WBA1jQrfs
Had caught my attention.
He uses a trailer Arch to move this massive trunk.

IMG_20180103_093359060_HDR.jpg IMG_20171224_093247190.jpg IMG_20171224_093254572.jpg

What do you do with all of your wood.
I'm looking to rent some vacant land for storage and milling. Maybe there is some place near you that would be cost effective, or 'free' in trade for firewood.

Nice post Kyle! Love the application of 'old techniques'
I showed Bob and that started a conversation, how a Mr Spurling in Bermuda back in the day (prob 1940's) had a reputation for being able to move anything. Bob's dad built a houseboat in Cavendish Heights (probably about as far from the water as you can get in Bermuda...) and Mr Spurling moved it with a horse and cart and launched it...no machinery.

Got a call yesterday about 3, this big branch had fallen off a tree down the road. We've had high winds here for about three days, combine the old bad pruning with some weight and the constant wind =failure. Luckily it fell away from the road. Another branch is sus so I put a rope in it to hold it for now until I can get up into it and do a reduction...or maybe it's time to call it quits on this tree and plant a new one?

Attachments

• DSC02046.jpg
    DSC02046.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC02051.JPG
    DSC02051.JPG
    641.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02055.JPG
    DSC02055.JPG
    584.1 KB · Views: 46
I reckon there would be equal numbers of people who would donate gas to do it vs people who would chain themselves to it.

Smart work, Kyle.

I'm writing that down!

Can you clarify on the round turn and half hitches on the bottom of the spar, which I take to be the boom log?

Ha, it's warm...at the moment :lol:
Love Tassie weather, today it will get to 28c...and tomorrow the high could easily be only 18.
We had a run of 30* weather in early Dec...then a weather front came through, the wind switched to the south and it snowed in the highlands!

Sure. You can do it with many different kinds of knots, or even just a sling. Here's a picture for reference.
220px-Guy_derrick_with_nonrotatable_mast.gif
They have rope tied to the upright post (the mast), and it's just tied on the end of of the other spar (the boom). A pile hitch, several wraps and a shackle, round turn and two half hitches, running bowline, just about any hitch can be used. In the picture they took the time to add planks on either side of the mast, which keeps everything in line and keeps it from rotating by gravity. I usually don't do that, instead I let it just hang there and swing on its own. Where the knot is located and everything makes the boom swing to a spot where everything is in equilibrium. That's where I park what I'm loading into. Then I use a guyline to swing the boom where I'm gonna pick it up from, and belay the line. Then when the load is hoisted, you ease off the swing guy, and it just swings right over the trailer or whatever. Then you ease off the load line to lower. I used a grcs in this case, but you can literally use anything; a truck pulling, a chain fall, an electric hoist, a winch, pulley blocks, etc.

If you don't have a tree where you need it, you can rig up a mast, use guylines to hold out more or less level, and then use a slightly shorter boom so you can swing under the guys. With two forms of pulling you can set it up where you can luff the boom as well (raise boom up and down under load), and pretty soon you are reaching the capabilities of a small crane. As long as you anticipate the forces, understand the line angles and resultant forces, you can rig safely under the load limits of your gear. These principles and techniques can be applied in almost infinite different ways, allowing you to adapt to just about any rigging situation. Here's a common setup used on ships during ww2. They since have switched to crane type setups, but this is still a viable form of rigging. The larger the loads, the more common derricks become. This particular rigging uses two booms, which then have the load lines tied together. That way the can position one boom over the side for unloading, and one directly over the hatch. Then the only lines they need to move are the load lines, and they can drift the load between them with ease by just winching in or out. Since derricks are anchored rather than ballasted (using weight to resist overturning load), they can be used for side pulls as well, which opens up even more rigging possibilities (such as a swing yarder).
transport-23-3.jpg

No problem. Rigging completely fascinates me, and I've noticed the different trades use different types, but they all overlap. From sailing ships to modern cranes to skyline logging, they all use the same basic ideas.

Ripping in half can leave you one live edge. Ripping into quarters, then milling, could make awesome corner shelves.

I'm starting to get into the idea of making a lot more noise at job sites.

Gives more opportunity for neighbors to see you, and ask for a bid.

:thumbup:

No problem. Rigging completely fascinates me, and I've noticed the different trades use different types, but they all overlap. From sailing ships to modern cranes to skyline logging, they all use the same basic ideas.

Seems that physics is the root/base science of everything...from atoms to galaxies. It defines what hold atoms and molecules together which makes chemistry work which leads to the biology that is life.

If there is anything more elemental than physics someone help me understand what it is.

Great diagram, Kyle...lots there.

Back