The Official Work Pictures Thread

Southeast PA is the epicenter of monster poplars. Im talking BIG. Im not talking cottonwoods though. Tulip poplars. The kind Murphy brings in subcontractors to climb.

This picture was taken in March 2007. We have a saying: "The main thing - a positive result ..." In fact, I did it for self-promotion. This picture makes the potential clients a lasting impression. Suffice it once to see this picture, and me will be remembered all my life. On you is also impressed, but with the opposite effect ... But you will not feed my family ... :)

Cool! I imagine that block is under pressure? how did you fall it?

There are some big poplars in Ohio.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/30259

Cool!

When I was in Southern IL in college, the native Yellow poplars were extremely brittle it seemed to climb. However, in my hometown, 250 miles north of there, we had some with 5' diameter bases, about 110' high that I never have seen lose a limb in the past 50 years. Have no idea what the difference is between the two.

Lirodendron tulipifera is in the Magnoliaceae family rather than the Populous genus of the Salicaceae family. A much stronger wood and better compartmentalizer in my experience. So much for common names, right??

Avon, IL Tulip Poplars, Yellow Poplars, Lirodendron tulipifera Planted about 1900 Photo taken 2001.

Lirtup Avon 1.jpg

So much for common names, right??

Don't get me started on common names in the US.

Your robin is a thrush, your meadowlark isn't in the lark family and so on.

Seems like folks back in the old days just named stuff after something from the old contry that looked a bit alike.

Tulip poplars are awesome to work in. You can put some BIG stuff on the ropes. You can rig and rope them down in pieces that you wouldn't dare try on a heavier species. The same applies for pulling them over. A little back lean doesn't require the same strength it would on heavier species. The wood is light. Its not a hard wood now a soft wood. Its considered a semi-hard wood. Even the lousiest chippers will gobble up tulip poplar. Plus, there is a value for it at sawmills in PA. Its not huge money. But on a huge removal, you can prep it up for saw logs and call a mill to come pick up your job. Most of the time the trucking fee negates the log profits but who cares? The wood is off the job and you didn't have to deal with it.

This big Northwest poplar I felled by my lonesome self last spring here in northern Manitoba is only 40 years old, but still not a baby. 90 feet tall and a ground level stump of 8 feet in diameter.
Not a climb job with 3 phase primaries on 2 sides, one side with heavy back lean. I was much more comfortable with my felling experience. Used a 90 degree to lay guy line, 3/4" stable braid, 395XP and a Dodge Ram pickup......... and a good looking traffic control flagwomen.

Attachments

• SDC12220.jpg
    SDC12220.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 63
  • SDC12221.jpg
    SDC12221.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC11958.jpg
    SDC11958.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 67
  • SDC11963.jpg
    SDC11963.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 68
  • SDC11962.jpg
    SDC11962.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 64
  • SDC11965.jpg
    SDC11965.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 62
  • SDC11966.jpg
    SDC11966.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 66
  • SDC11969.jpg
    SDC11969.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC11970.jpg
    SDC11970.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 64
  • SDC11976.jpg
    SDC11976.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC11960-001.jpg
    SDC11960-001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 74
Nice help indeed.

Here's the first video from the airport job. Using the AL540 to extract trees from the woods and pile them on the approach.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bmnoo59yb4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, I don't think I'd have done that job quite like that...

It looks like a lotta time wasted just driving around.

What was the job, taking out the excessively tall trees?

Basically... They're installing a lighting system (PAPI) and we're removing the trees in the way. 78 trees in all. One nice tidbit is all the material stays on site. One downside is they put the job off until now... it was supposed to start by the end of September. Now the airport is one ridiculously wet mess, which will complicate the job. Might be getting a gaggle of AlturnaMats in the near future.

Copied from Facebook:
"A video of the AL540 on the job at the County Airport this Friday! We are removing trees along the approach to gain clearance for the PAPI Lighting System."

"The trails are just to get the trees out and piled on the approach. The whole job is removing 72 trees, 44 stumps with full cleanup, flop 6 trees, and remove one limb from another tree. 37 of the trees are in a business's front yard, 28 are along the approach, 3 are behind the same business that has the 37, and another 4 behind a business on the opposite end of the runway."

This is what 2 guys a Conehead and a wheel loader can do in 1 day.......

1.jpg

Hard to tell but that pile is 30' wide and probably 60' long:O

Back