The Official Work Pictures Thread

How much fuel did the chipper drink that day?

37 gallons of fuel to chip, less than 5 for the wheel loader to drag all the trees and feed it.....

This job was for a friend so I didnt make out like a bandit, $1000 for the day. He was very happy with the progress, view clearance.

Your friends give you money for your time and work? Damn, I need to have them talk to my friends...... Mine assume I do it for fun and don't have any bills to pay.

Well this friend is very wealthy. I considered doing it for free but decided it was going to be a lot of wear and tear on the gear....... Also it seems whenever I do stuff for free something bad happens during the job so ends up costing me money. Anyone else notice this????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know - I can't remember the last time I did anything for free. There's at least a meal involved!

Every single time. If the job is a favor I will experience one of these issues based on experience.....
1. Personal injury
2. Ruining a rope(most likely an expensive rigging line)
3. Crushing a saw
4. Anvil will come loose in the chipper
5. Truck(s) will become stuck in a difficult location
6. Friend will not return favor

I feel a certainly responsibility to look after old timers and kids. With the old timers it is sometimes maintaining their saws, and the kids it might be helping out some lost PTA person that has rigged up a handsaw on a stick and is try to cut a limb well above their head and over the path where the children walk to school. I think both could be considered jobs for free, but I haven't noticed many negative consequences. I also used to drive an elderly neighbor to the doctor twice a month, but they would buy me lunch. The negative part of that was waiting while they had their prescription filled, too boring.

Yeah, same scenario here. Something always goes wrong. As I see it, my friends get the" I'll be there tomorrow" and that is as far as it goes. Equipment breaks people need to get paid and those friends that ask for favors are like Farts in the wind.

My problem is my heart is too big. I absolutely love helping people. I often look for ways to help out those around me. Even though I sound like an asswipe when I talk on this forum, Im actually very good natured. It bites me in the ass constantly. But, I have no intentions of changing how I am. I'll keep helping as often as I can. I came into this world with nothing and will most likely leave it the same way. If along the way I can be noted as a generous person, that's fine by me.

Good comments.

Paul, what were the trees like you were chipping to make all those chips, hardwood or soft, large diameter or more large quantity of medium sized stuff?

How many hours on your cone head, what kind of engine?

Well damn Paul, that thing is just a beast man! I'd love to get a disccone or something in that size range. Our model 17 is awesome, but sometimes I find myself wishing for something bigger or more aggressive now that we've started chipping bigger tops and trees since I can feed with the Gehl. What model and capacity is yours again?

And agreed on the friend thing, thats how it usually works out for us. A few friends are good to us, but most think we work for free with no overhead or bills to pay. Unless its one of a select few, I don't care too much for doing work for friends.

Help a friend out when you can though. Its one of the things that defines a quality person. I often don't get paid but knowing the people I love are in a better position because I could lend my skills is payment enough sometimes. It will come back to a person someday, somewhere. I know my friends on here have helped me out with no repayment in mind.

Now pruning or tree work for looks is a different issue. They can lick my balls. But a bad leader over their house when they are tight for money is something I don't hesitate to help with.

Yep, we help out where we can when needed or cut our prices big time to help a friend out when money is tight and its something hazardous.

I completely agree Chris. I do not mean to sound unsympathetic. Like you, I am usually on the short end of the stick. It is all about priority. If a true friend, like my buddy who dove in 35 degree water to save my new snowmobile needs help, I am right there with no expectation of pay. Long term payback is the way I was brought up. My wife hates it, but it will always comeback around.

Good comments.

Paul, what were the trees like you were chipping to make all those chips, hardwood or soft, large diameter or more large quantity of medium sized stuff?

How many hours on your cone head, what kind of engine?

Mostly poplar and ailanthus, area was logged 25 years ago so nothing huge, mostly 14-18".

2005 conehead 510 with about 2200 hours, 140 hp cat. I lucked out and paid $20K

Nice.

Do you think a conehead chips better than a "regular" drum chipper (hydraulic with 90* drum instead of angled drum)?

Yes I do believe it does. When you put a big piece in there you can kind of hear it slice wood in a swishing noise as opposed to a chop/bang of a normal drum. It is a lot smoother action. I drug all those trees to the chipper through the dirt and it is still chipping great with good chip quality, they claim longer knife life and I believe that claim too. Im not too excited to be dragging around a 9000lbs chipper but man it makes the job so much quicker. If you can find a deal on one grab it IMO.

Good info.

I like the 140 - enough hp's to do the job but still good on fuel.

Some folks showed interest in seeing the BMG pull trees out whole. Not shown was grabbing down into the dirt to get at and break some oak roots before pushing the tree over.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HnBsdYDlkw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This next video is just for fun:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wKI5lOELeb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haha the 540 would be roughly tied with 3 140's assuming equal traction.

Here is the pile we made yesterday. Group shot taken with a GoPro. 8 trees, roughly what you see by 20-25' long.

Airport Group Shot (1).jpg

Heres a new to me system for helping with clean up. Big, strong 12x12 tarp with lifting loops on the corners, we load that sucker up and wheel loader it to the truck.......:) 1.jpg

Back