What a treat....buncha fun.

980047b9996c1fbcf6677e901d373a19.jpg

473d9b199966a6a74a03b4ad43b1f15f.jpg

dbca14634fc7b6137a5dbd474d10877b.jpg

87dc2a4ca8ff2552ef0fe6161e88419e.jpg

My new cut....

33c7b6b3b691a107a5b4e6ba03346393.jpg

ca5c26b1acc5fb77015d75514fb09a6c.jpg

Coos bay up in the tree? Ya'll are braver than me!

Did a consult Friday, "how much more can we cut on these 2 ash trees? This brick wall has to go and the footing below it. Oh, and that big root can't be under the new wall. Oh yeah, and we have to dig these gas meters out abdicate replace them".... "cut them down? No, we'll just take the risk" .....

Crazy they are trying to save that tree...it's a goner for sure.

"Coos bay in the tree? "" I am pretty sure I read here awhile back that folks used that for hard leaning tops/limbs. How do you do it? Edu-ma-cate me.

Willie, who made the call, the property owner or the contractor?
Contractor, they're the ones that called me. The Shakespere will probably call us to remove those eventually. Doubt there is any blowback on the contractor.
Crazy they are trying to save that tree...it's a goner for sure.

"Coos bay in the tree? "" I am pretty sure I read here awhile back that folks used that for hard leaning tops/limbs. How do you do it? Edu-ma-cate me.

I think generally I would strip more weight or simply go smaller, if I was afraid to conventionally face and back it. Not that I wouldn't Coos bay something but it would likely be last resort.

I did one on the ground the other day and I don't like it there any better down where I can run. But I have been known to bock before

Good answer...I wanted to trim the limb down but no access...no good TIP. And it was about 30* with a 20 mph wind...I could feel the cold through 3 layers. It was dump those 2 leads and get on the ground.

Gary, I might be off-track here, but want to say something as Herb is in the safe position (provided you have enough rope length). You were the one in the dangerous situation.
Is Herb an equipment operator working on the jobsite? Too often equipment operators want to 'do something' and 'help' being used to having power. "I wanted to help you pull the tree over"... while you were cutting, and I split it and killed you.

Yes, pull trees require power, but more than power, understanding the whole situation and judiciously applying power. Does he understand wood fiber? Hinges?

Sean....all good thoughts and I appreciate you pointing those out.

Herb is a good thinker...he understands how barberchairs work and knows to be as gentle as possible with all the power of the bobcat.

He is also our Dive Team Commander and used to thinking through the potentially bad stuff before jumping in all the way. So far we have been a good team together, look out for each other.

The tree was leaning the wrong way. I wanted to be thinning the hinge as we got it moving from a negative lean to upright and then into a positive direction.

Maybe it is better to set a ?% hinge and then get out and let the bobcat do the pull? I don't know what % thickness the hinge should be to abandon the cut to pure pull power without risking a barber chair. Maybe just chain above and below the cut, set a hinge that is 25% the diameter of the tree and get the hell out of dodge? Tell the puller to go for it.

By thinning the hinge as the tree starts to move I figured to chase the cut as the tree got committed to the lay.

If there is a better way to do it I am all ears.

Deva...good stuff. That is a serious gin pole! Were you gin poling the top in that 2nd picture?
473d9b199966a6a74a03b4ad43b1f15f.jpg

That top was already poled... LOL... They were getting ready to lower it. Jason, in the first picture distant in yellow, got to throw his tops and make gin poles for log extraction.
Deva is always a blast to work with. Pro all the way. I'll try to get some of him tomorrow. I had no place to stow my phone today, so I'll bring my other camera tomorrow.. Besides, I have an idea for the raffle.

Did a consult Friday, "how much more can we cut on these 2 ash trees? This brick wall has to go and the footing below it. Oh, and that big root can't be under the new wall. Oh yeah, and we have to dig these gas meters out abdicate replace them".... "cut them down? No, we'll just take the risk" .....

Holy crap what a mess. Damn Willie. You must have been rollin your eyes looking at them...

Gary, you don't beat the snot out of wedges when the tree is cut up 50% of the back cut, your fighting the tree too much, and you don't have a 'hinge' yet you've got a huge block. It won't hinge on that much wood. When you have the hinge right, the wedges tip the tree. Wood is crazy strong, that's how trees stay up.

Same thing with a rope, you don't pull hard when your 50% through your back cut.

Before I start pulling I have a mental picture of what the hinge should look like, maybe 10% thickness.

I'll put a minor tension on the pull line,
then cut the back cut a good portion, and set (not drive) wedges.
Set wedges before it can sit back though.

As I get closer to my final hinge thickness, I'll be able to tell if the tree is sitting back, neutral, or pulling forward.

Sometimes, you might find it worth marking the end of the back cut/ beginning of the hinge with the bar tip in advance (vertical kerf), taking the full judgment of how much is the 'right amount of hinge' away from active cutting and pulling action. This serves as a good reference mark for a spotter, helping everyone not to misjudge how much hinge is present when using a stump shot. Often an uneducated spotter will tell you how far to the face cut, not the front edge of the hinge fibers, leading to a thin or cut-off far-side of the hinge.

If it's sitting back, apply a bit more tension, without lifting the tree much, and/or snug the wedges.
If it starts to open up a bit as you cut, snug the wedges.

When I'm in the right hinge thickness ball park, I'll often bang the wedges a couple times. It they drive a bit, with more of a low pitch thunk, your definitely winning. It should tip right over on the hinge with a pull.

If they don't drive in well, but rather have a lot of rebound with a higher pitch, you're going to need a harder pull. Driving wedges and pulling helps tip the tree from two efforts. This can be helpful if you are afraid of breaking a defective tree, losing traction, or over-loading your rope/ puller.

Wedges kept snugged up tight with a pull protect in case the rigging breaks or traction breaks.

If you're fighting side lean, you need more hinge. If you are pulling against the lean, directly, you don't need as much (you could get by with an overly thin hinge, it you really pushed it).

Bending wood is hard work. A thick hinge takes a lot of force to bend, independent of the weight of the back leaner. Say the weight of the log take 100 units of force to tip on a friction free, literal metal hinge. In real life, you have to add the force to bend the wood hinge. Arbitrarily, let's say a 10% hinge takes 30 units of force to bend, and a 25% thickness hinge takes 100+ units of force to bend. You are needing to generate and use rigging to support 130 vs. 200+ units of force to accomplish the same goal. A 10% hinge is pretty much not going to be crushed to failure no matter what . Side lean would have to be substantial to rip a hinge off at 10% thickness.

We had a bunch of really nasty cottonwoods to fell at Parks. 6' dbh, 4-6" solid green wood shell, hollow as a drum. As my partner cut up the pretensioned tree, chasing the back cut around, basically with the saw plunged in perpendicular, I slapped in every wedge i could to support the tree, and not build all the weight only on the little bit of hinge wood on the two corners, potentially crushing the stump under the weight of what was left in the crown after getting everything (big laterals)possible with the 60' bucket on a 130' tree, aka Sh*!-ton of weight getting concentrate on the hinge. The winch pulled it over without the stump or log buckling. My partner climbed in that stump.

Holy crap what a mess. Damn Willie. You must have been rollin your eyes looking at them...
I'm paid to tell them what i see and think, what they do with it is their business. I feel most contractors want to do things right, make a good product for their clients. Some just need to turn the plans into reality as quickly as possible.

...but that 'pragmatic clod' crack....ya know, that just might fit.:|::lol:

Of course you know that I was just "taking the piss," mate, truth is... I'm a shade burnt on posting so many stupid pics. Might try to figure the vid stuff out after a bit.

Willie: Now THAT'S a real arb-job!!

Gary: I appreciated your pics a great deal. It's good to see you up in here.

Deva: Dude you guys should just partener up. It's inevitable... Team Golden Exterminator :rockon:

Got some of Deva today... He is on his way home now, or already there. He'll be back next Monday & Tuesday. He is a big help !
I'm fighting off a cold and have less energy than normal.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 56
Nice pictures.

Good fun!

Gary I eyeball just about everything.

Today I was climbing srt...so the tail was about 10 feet long, I used that to measure a few logs on my way down.

Golden Exterminators...I need to take advantage of that Wraptor more.

Back