The Official Work Pictures Thread

This is an older photo, but I guess it qualifies for this topic.

Here's a picture of one of the loads of firewood that we brought home last Fall. We use two different trailers, with this one being the larger of the two. The firewood is piled nearly 24 feet long, Each log is 8 feet long. It's piled about 4 feet high. After cutting to length, splitting, then neatly stacking......we ended up with just over 4 cords of firewood from this load.

408619_2382946061918_417521187_n.jpg

I don't know if the picture will turn out.

Joel

I was surprised when you said only 4 cords but I took a closer look and there was plenty of air space in there form the wavy logs. A nice haul any way you look at it. Nice trailer too.

Tucker943,

We learned early on that there's a lot less firewood on one of these trailers than we first thought. The house requires about four loads of firewood, on that trailer, to last us through the entire winter. This year we ran out about a month early........or winter lasted a whole month+ longer......depending on how a guy looks at it. LOL

The firewood is loaded using my little Kubota B2900 equipped with a set of bucket forks. I'm able to load about 7 logs per trip.....or a total weight of about 800 pounds per load. That trailer load was harvested, cut to 8' lengths, then loaded and hauled home in a single afternoon. It took us another two days to get it cut to firewood length, split, and then neatly stacked in the firewood bins.

Joel

I tip my hat to your hard work. I only use 7-8 cords a year and that's enough work to keep it stacked and all that.

I'd like to set it in an isolated spot with a video camera on it, catch firewood thieves, of which there is a growing number.

Tucker943,

When I first started harvesting firewood, I thought I would be able to save a lot of money. After all, propane isn't cheap.....and our winters are LONG. I saved enough money in the first winter to completely pay for the wood burning central furnace. Harvesting firewood is a lot of work, but we've developed a pretty efficient system to help us save a bunch of time and energy. I'll be hitting the woods again real soon. I'll be sure to post a few pictures of our firewood operation. We still have room for improvement, but our current system works pretty well.

Like you, I have a great amount of appreciation for anyone who is willing to work this hard just to keep the wifey warm.

Joel

Yeah.. Second day here at this SOB... One more partial day of clean up..
First tree felled and mostly yarded out first day... Second tree and first trunk all yarded out today. Now down to the clean up details. Material stayed on site but had to be moved to two different staging areas. Two rattle snakes up there where I was felling, limbing, bucking and setting chokers. Rob took care of moving material, tensioning ropes and the landing site. The people taking the wood were rather amazed... Meh.. I just want this fugger done.

Attachments

• IMG_20130518_141353.jpg
    IMG_20130518_141353.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20130227_151833.jpg
    IMG_20130227_151833.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 67
Woodworkingboy,

We don't need to keep our firewood in an isolated place, away from thieves. There are only about 3000 people living in my entire county, and very few of them have any use for firewood. In addition to that, EVERY PLACE is isolated where I live. LOL. No kidding. My nearest neighbor to the east is just over 1/4 mile from me. After that, it's 11 miles to the next occupied house. Between here and Starkweather, ND......about 17 miles east of Cando......just three occupied homes along the entire trip.

Joel

Joel, sounds good to me! I can't believe how some people will trespass to steal firewood. One gate and the only other exit is through a swamp :X

Joel, that is about the same amount that I use to heat my house, here.

With fuel oil prices at $9/gal that saves me somewhere around $7500/year.

And I don't even have to pay taxes on those saved bucks:D

I took a picture of my new Kubota B2920 sitting on the trailer, right after bringing it home in September of 2011. I had previously sold my little Kubota B2100 and was without a tractor for a few weeks. I decided to give the Bobcat CT235 a workout, and Bobcat of Devils Lake was kind enough to lend me a tractor for a few days while I worked it through its paces.

The Bobcat CT235 is made by Doosan Industries of South Korea. It was previously sold as the Kioti line, until Bobcat was recently purchased by Doosan. It didn't meet my expectations at all. Bobcat has a long way to go with the Doosan tractors before the American public will ever buy it in large numbers. My main complaint with the Kioti/Bobcat CT235......it wouldn't start on its own when it was 20 degrees above zero. This means that I would have to use the block heater for more than 7 months out of the year, just to have a tractor I could use.

The lumber on the trailer was purchased at a lumber yard in Devils Lake, on the way home with the tractor. The lumber was used in the construction of my firewood bins.

304154_1984114731384_1829816633_n.jpg

I just purchased a 2000 F450 4x4 dump truck. I've been wanting one for a very long time. For the price of this truck, I couldn't pass it up. It was cheaper than a dump trailer. I'll be bringing it home tomorrow. This will be great for moving dirt, landscaping materials, manure for the gardens, etc. I will also be able to pull my firewood trailer behind it.

2000 F450 Dump 4x.JPG

Joel

Back