The Official Work Pictures Thread

I've seen bad things happen during slip bark. More so when I was logging. I have known of crane picks of tulip poplar logs have slipped right out of their bark and straight down to the ground.

I had a close call with a crane pick up in a tree when the bark slipped. Fortunately it was a little off to one side then. Try to always wrap under a limb where possible, or go around once and flip the cable or sling over itself and then fasten at a lower point. At least you have two points where the bark needs to slip. Scary...

Don't recall. But that doesn't matter. Ive watched them slip out of choked chains, and Prentice log loaders as well when logging.

Ive skidded logs to a downhill landing during slip bark and unhitched my skid. Pushed the tree length wood up onto the pile with the skidder blade for the sawbuck operator to sort through, only to watch logs shoot down at the log loader cab like flying arrows. With an operator in the cab. Quick work with the boom on the loader operators behalf saved his life more then once on that landing. There wasn't much we could do the way the landing was laid out by the forester. Like any kind of downhill logging, we just had to be on our toes and quick to think and respond. Slip bark is a nightmare to cable skid downhill also. Grapple skidding not so bad.

Little prune and cable today....
Sorry no real before's :(
A lot of cut and pitch on this one. Tons of dead in the beginning.

Attachments

• IMG_20130531_110055.jpg
    IMG_20130531_110055.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20130531_110158.jpg
    IMG_20130531_110158.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20130531_153630.jpg
    IMG_20130531_153630.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 57
Back