The Official Work Pictures Thread

Lordy, that's one ALAPed stump, Dylan!

Imagine ALAP'ing these:

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

Imagine grinding it Nick... Lawwwd!

Good lesson for him Stig.. They can really fly under the right hit....

There is the job that even my chipper would be too big for Dylan! LOL Nice going...! That lombardy looks like a PITA. I have a personal hatred of them but mostly get to fell them...... :D

Imagine ALAP'ing these:
Actually, they have a wide spread but not so much wood in their buttress roots. They are very flat and the chainsaw goes very quickly throw them.
Moreover, in some cases like the second pic, you can hardly find some wood from the trunk at the ground level.
It isn't really a butt swell like our trees, but in fact more a butt shrink !
Strange and funny trees.

Do you know what they are called? I have a bunch of photos of them...

A few I climbed to 20 or so feet, just manhandling the buttress roots, and was surprised to find that they were in fact hollow!

They're probably Kapok trees, Ceiba pentandra. Although there are other species that have similar buttress roots.

NIck, are you on the right or left? I can't tell, quite. ;)

I like cutting stumps AHAP, as high as possible. The one I"ll cut today will be above 8-10' up, just above the top of the cracked inclusion in the 4' dbh maple. We leave them at least waist high so that people, especially while bending an elbow while camping, can't trip over them in the dark. They just bump into them.

That, plus root-diseased trees have better wood higher up. I was able to cut a 4-5' doug-fir with a 346xp- 20" bar because of the root rot had eaten out the center of the tree. That was head high on the front, and I realized after putting in the face, and going around for the back-cut, that the ground was lower, making the backcut an overhead cut.

I like seeing old decayed stumps around forests. We usually make the tops jagged for a more natural look over time, and leave bucketed-down spars as tall as possible in relation to targets for wildlife habitat. I might try mashing the jagged top a bit with the back side of the ax to accelerate the process.

I think that it will be cool to see them decay over time. I just missed smashing a high, aerial rooted hemlock stump with the top of the maple yesterday. I'll try to get some pictures today on my camera. My cell phone just doesn't do the job.

What is unfortunate is when the powers that be leave a nice tree out on the edge of the campground forever, turning into a great wildlife tree, then get nervous when its all rotten, and full of holes, then want to stand away as a safe distance, doing nothing (well, controlling the very minimal traffic during the winter, and talking to the few campers around, possibly) and send us in to cut that rotten puppy down. This happened last week. A 40+" x 150'ish doug-fir that was left for possibly decades after it died.

We got refillable air horns for warning each other. Whistles don't do anything when you've got on hearing protection and a running saw. Just can't hear 'em. Getting grazed by a 4"x 20' branch and side stepping another, both coming from about a 100' up, prompted the air horns.
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-Blast-Rechargeable/dp/B000MTXZME Like this, but we got them on close-out for under 10 buck a pop.

It is pretty much business as usual, here.
Knocking trees down left and right trying to keep ahead of the mill's demands.

Nice sunset today, so I snapped a few of Martin killing a mature beech.

P1020473.JPG P1020474.JPG P1020475.JPG P1020478.JPG

Attachments

• P1020452.JPG
    P1020452.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 38
  • P1020455.JPG
    P1020455.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 42
I don't know why those two from yesterday showed up again???

We'll as you can see we work from dawn till dusk.

In the winter up here, that would only be about 7 hours MB. How about where you are in The Pas Willard?

PS. However in Summer it would be about 4:30 am to 10:30 pm.

7 hours of work is dandy. 7 hours on my gaffs is tough. But that's mighty rare. I can kick most everything I get into in less then a few hours.

Nice pictures indeed, Stig.

We work 10 hour days give or take when their is doing to be done. Today was 8-6. An hour for lunch and likely an hour spent chatting amongst the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
10 hours is too long to do treework, unless it's only once in a while and not hot.

Life is too short.

In the winter up here, that would only be about 7 hours MB. How about where you are in The Pas Willard?

PS. However in Summer it would be about 4:30 am to 10:30 pm.
About the same here too Bob, days are getting longer here now. Here in The Pas in early summer we only get about 3 or 4 hrs of darkness at nite. People out working in their gardens at midnite.ha ha.

In this weather, 10 hours is easy.

I've worked 6 days this year doing tree work. (Also a 15 minute stump job an hauling those logs). I've worked 50 hours over those 6 days, 47 hours over the highest 5.

Back