The Official Work Pictures Thread

Dude I would NEVER put a 36 inch bar on that pig. I am super underwhelmed by the 500. 79cc’s wasted on massive (and impressive, if I’m honest) throttle response, but noticeably lacking in torque. It does however perform very well in fluffy redwood.😂

Yeah... Gordy from West Coast Saw told me that the reason that Sean Alleger (the Madsen’s guy) can get away with charging as little as he does for a woods port is that he doesn’t cut very much off the base of the jug at all, and so therefore does not have to re-shape the ports overly much. Man, I’d give my right arm to see what you wizards are up to in your clandestine shops. Say... what do you think about Tinnman’s stuff?

Sean: The more I see of Maine, the more I like itNice work.

With a Hotwoods Port job and tuned intake (k/n filter and outerwears) and tuned tube exhaust that saw should tickle 8hp or better (6.8 stock) with boatloads of torque - enuff to pull a 36” b/c thru 450 Janka hardness scale sequoia all day provided the Oiler can keep up. I know Madsens made some badass saws back in the day , not sure what they are doing to them nowadays. I’m Curious what Madsens are charging for a woods port here in 2021 . There’s a lot of different recipes and they all work to some degree. Personally I’m not a huge fan of ultra high compression. Every saw I’ve built with the exception of the 261c uses stock compression , stock squish. Sure I can tighten them up and p/u .6-1.0hp more but ya gotta consider the bottom end is whipping around millions of times and it’s gonna take a beating by going from 155-165psi up to 220+ psi, simple physics - they WILL run snappier and make more power but also won’t wind out as much in the top end. The 572xp torque monster is at .038 squish , I’ve dropped it to .020 and believe you me it’s snappier and will p/u a few sec through the log no doubt. Trouble is if you set it at .020 unless you have a fuel that doesn’t produce carbon that measurement will steadily decrease with the buildup of carbon on the piston crown and combustion chamber. I would build that for someone if they understand that they’ll be needing to tear down and clean it at regular intervals - if you get .005-.010 buildup now your squish is at .010-.015 which is not good 😂. The other reason is longevity , If I build ya a saw with a reasonable squish it’s most likely gonna last as long as a stocker and cut 25%+ quicker( let’s say 1 year). Modded to the razors edge you might only get 6-9months out of it and you’ll be throwing limbs at me. I’ve checked out Tinman and he’s got some good videos as does Ironhorse on diy porting.

Reactions: Jed
[ATTACH type="full" alt="20210226_091846.jpg" said:
108446[/ATTACH]
[/ 1614449305018.jpeg
Hey Murphy, here’s a clean undercut with a 24” bar at 7’. No excuses for a sloppy one at 5’...

Last edited:
Nice pic, Sean.

What is the brush on the mini for?
Dude. Do you miss. ANYTHING! (To Cory)

Frankie: Thanks for that. I really appreciate your response, and currently feel myself to be at a bit of a crossroads for how to think about saw mods, and how much money one should ever appropriate to the given options. Not just a personal problem methinks.

It is like trying to decide whether the time appropriated to chop off mud impregnated bark (when bucking) is worth it, or whether it is better to just hog through it, and sharpen the chain at the end. Are we all just splitting hairs down here, on this tiny little planet?

Jed ... One trick I learned is to cut thru the log , roll it over and then up cut , keeps the chain in the clean wood as long as possible. As far as ported saws go... I’d say that for a guy/gal that’s using the saw to earn their living or part of their living it’s a no-brainer. Whether it’s a DIY project or built by a knowledgeable individual it’s well worth it ! Fun factor and even at insane/psyko prices the mods will quickly be paid off and it’s all gravy from there 😎

Reactions: Jed
That's always fun. And nerve wracking

Your TCM must leave virtually zero trace on lawns with those tires.

That pic looks a lot like CT, except for the drainage trough, we don't have those.

That bushy deciduous tree to the left, would that be a Norway Maple, do those exist down there?

Yes it’s a Norway. I feel like driving by there this evening and paying the mini a visit
Totally didn’t understand why someone would put there new car at risk and piss people off that she has never met ....

Oh, no problem we'll move that for ya! Put the forks on the loader and skewer the thing. At least that's the knee jerk thought I had

Yes it’s a Norway. I feel like driving by there this evening and paying the mini a visit
Totally didn’t understand why someone would put there new car at risk and piss people off that she has never met ....
They are f’d over there 👉

I totally hear ya. I would feel the EXACT same way. But i"ve been listening to this book, it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it can help you deal with those feelings. And we can probably all agree that actually giving in to those feelings would be counterproductive on many levels.

They do it justice Sean, that place is wonderful.

Got to cut down some beautiful pipes today.

View attachment 108313View attachment 108314View attachment 108315
I hate chip trucks with limited storage such that you have to put stuff in the back on the chips, and move it out, and put it back again. It gets old fast. I worked at a place that had one like it, only one useable side box. Everything stayed locked up elsewhere and needed loading and unloading at the start of each day, and to dump.

So check out the rings on old Sempervirens Redpig today Corey. I had my buddy put his hand in the shot for perspective. This five and a half foot triceratops pig made 15 yards of chips. They’re retaining the stump.View attachment 108403View attachment 108404View attachment 108405
How do you like the big blower? I used the Shindaiwa model, or some big one that I thought was that Echo's equivalent, and I was not impressed in the slightest. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Yesterday, at 830 I mobilized and set up at a job a mile from my house, ran through one tank in my 2511t, chipped, ran through another tank in the 2511t, chipped, then topped two leaders with the Morgan block, and chucked down the rest of the 2511t tank, then a tank in the 261 (also on-board), bucked most of the wood, and headed out at 6.

I had to bring up a bigger saw to finish chunking this big cedar from 40' to 15' finish height today.

A rams-horned cavity from the ground up a long way, on the tension side, and a 95%+ through crack on the neutral-plane, gaping about 1.5" at worst. 20210301_083922.jpg 20210301_100937.jpg 20210301_100945.jpg 20210301_154211.jpg 20210301_162148.jpg 20210301_165933.jpg 20210301_165938.jpg 20210302_103616.jpg

Forest-grown red alder barber chair protection, two independent circles from one length of chain, two wedges per loop to tighten. I cut it at 5', above a cavity, with a bore-cut, low-backstrap release cut. Scared some small ornamental plants.

You can see a crack in the bark above the hinge. Doesn't seem to follow the fiber.

Last edited:
Back