The Official Work Pictures Thread

Whittled away at two more today. One of the larger ones on the property line and one that tops had died out after some storm damage. Trying to get this job wrapped up by Friday, but I feel a Saturday tree coming on. :/:
IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0370.JPG IMG_0371.JPG

Took down this leaner two days ago. We have been watching it for a few years and the homeowners decided it's starting to lean worse and worse. We got two power lines dropped by the power company. This tree was right in the middle of two service lines. I was able to make 8 or 10 cuts up in the top and bomb everything out except 2 tall leads.

It all went pretty smooth except for the throw ball part. Made a great throw and then when I was pulling the throw ball up to dance it past one of the higher limbs for a better drop it got stuck. Ended up climbing without a top rope and had to advance the lifeline by hand once I got up within throwing distance of limbs. Once I was able to get to the stuck throw line I could see it came through a quarter inch wide gap between a limb and the trunk and just dug its way down into the gunk and was nicely stuck.

I used a pull rope to direct one tall lead away from the house next door.

And I got snookered by a shadow. I had one large top, maybe 20 ft, that I was going to initially cut to go straight away from me but was concerned that the tips of the top would hit another tree and it might kick it back towards me. So I put a pull rope in it and face cut it 90° left and threw it off that direction and it went where it should. But as it fell the shadow it cast was coming back at me suddenly and I was thinking wtf just happened. It didn't seem possible but suddenly it looked like the top was coming back at me I dodged around to the other side of the tree. But it ends up only being the shadow that got me. That was a weird one.

Attachments

• 20200804_095220.jpg
    20200804_095220.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200804_095207.jpg
    20200804_095207.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
I got hit by a shadow once. Didn't hurt much. I'm tough like that :^D

Cranes are good for that if you aren't explicitly giving them attention. You know it's there, you know it's working, but you're busy with your own stuff, and suddenly a shadow's coming for you :^O

Whittled away at two more today. One of the larger ones on the property line and one that tops had died out after some storm damage. Trying to get this job wrapped up by Friday, but I feel a Saturday tree coming on. :/:

Your shots often remind me of growing up in southern California! We lived in the foothills west of Alpine (San Diego County) and I roamed the chaparral searching for remote groves of oak and hidden caves among piles of boulders for years until I headed to South America in the mid 70’s. We go back every couple of years and those foothills still tug at me. Some of the valleys I would backpack into are now developed so I reach them by bicycle in a couple of hours, Thanks for the memories!

Howard

Do you find good dumps out that way? If so, I'd expect the treasures to be well preserved. One of my favorite things about my job is finding evidence of humans deep in the woods, especially a nice glass dump. My most interesting find was a log cabin I doubt was made after 1820. I couldn't go inside, cause it was collapsing, and exceedingly dangerous, but it was cool to see, cause going by the existing "infrastructure", it wasn't obvious someone would have ever lived back there.

Leaners are all legs and balance.

A loose 540 wrap ( two legs pinched in each hand) adds security. Fall arrest, if you let go. Steel core flip lines are easier than rope. Twice as thick in hands, so easier on the hands.

I'm climbing on a long Blaze lanyard, relatively new. Needs washing of the braiding wax. Too slick and small.

Lunch break, at the Double-Whip tackle show. Haven't broken out the Rig-n-Wrench yet.

" IMG_20200806_124010830_HDR.jpg "Chill" by the lake, eating lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_122431932_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200806_122431932_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5
Do you find good dumps out that way? If so, I'd expect the treasures to be well preserved. One of my favorite things about my job is finding evidence of humans deep in the woods, especially a nice glass dump. My most interesting find was a log cabin I doubt was made after 1820. I couldn't go inside, cause it was collapsing, and exceedingly dangerous, but it was cool to see, cause going by the existing "infrastructure", it wasn't obvious someone would have ever lived back there.
Yeah, there are a lot of "dump holes" on properties. Mostly find old tin and crap. An occassional old bottle. People have been scouring these hills for treasure for a long time. Catch them with metal detectors down at the miners shack all the time on our place. Slim pickens these days.

Got 2 and 2/3s of them done today. I might have this licked by tomorrow. One tree gave me fits getting a line in it, but it paid off in spades when I was able to dead wood it in about an hour or so. First tree this morning was a PITA for work positioning and required a lot of redirects. The 2/3s I did was a good sized tree, but got a really sweet tie in and banged it out. SO should be like doing a couple small and one medium sized tree tomorrow.
Fodder IMG_0354.JPG IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0377.JPG

The beautiful growth habit on those oaks you get into. Look like it'd be tricky climbing all the time, but they sure do look nice

They do present certain challenges at times. However, blue oaks are quite forgiving in fiber strength. SO you can tie in to some pretty small stuff if you know what you can get away with. Strong wood.

Gary, please don't tell me, that you only have one throwline??
That is like asking the gods( whatever religion) to mess with you.
Haha! Indeed. There are no less than six throw lines in my truck, if you count the brand new polypropylene lined throw bag I bought from Bailey's years ago, and never opened. I shortly thereafter switched to Zing-It and just stuck it behind the seat for hard times. I have four Zing-It lines and one Dynaglide (1000#) setup. I have had three lines hung up and had to use the fourth to set a line to get up the tree.

Back