The Official Work Pictures Thread

There is a limit to how thick one can make a hinge.
After a certain point it stops being able to flex and simply breaks off.
A couple of years ago someone here posted a video of someone using a " triple hinge".
A VERY thick hinge in the tension side, with vertical cuts set into it, to let the 3 parts flex as individual hinges.
That was an epipheny for me.
I immediately understood the workings and set off into the world to experiment with it.
I don't often have a use for it, but have found it to work extremely well.

I stuck to making a double here, because that way I could utilize the two roots a parts of it, one root per hinge.
Look between the two pulled roots, you can see what is left of my vertical relief cut.

Last edited:
HardtofindCookedHedgehog-size_restricted.gif

Yeah........simple.

Here's video of a triple hinge...

I don't necessarily endorse this guy, and I'm not qualified to judge his cutting, but it'll give you a feel for what's involved.

Yep, logger wade is the guy who popularized it on youtube, I saw it there and posted here awhile back. Stig, that was some crazy hold you got out of that double hinge, massive root pull!

Speak of the devil: this one has the triple hinge, a sizwell , and a pusher tree

Nice!
I quite enjoyed watching that.
It is a rare thing that I'll use a pusher tree, in hardwoods that makes for an ungodly mess to clean up.

Setting a facecut in two precise cuts like that is just dead wrong according to Murphy.

Glad you liked it.

And though the triple hinge looks pretty effective, I like how you said you wouldn't use it near houses etc

I won't use the double/triple hinge ever because it's not in the bible, (the Fundamentals of General Treework by Gerald F. Beranek) because I'm a dogmatic person and the bible is always right.:lol:

Of course I'm kidding, but I gotta be honest, when Jack used that I just about flipped. I never thought that any PNW guy would EVER use that, but wow was I wrong. Funny too... I've never, ever been opposed to techniques demonized as "trick cut," just because an old-fart hand't been familiar with them any more than I would refuse to use a power-saw just because my granddaddy never had one. I LOVE the Sizwill, and HATE the triple hinge for some (probably very stupid and obstinate) bigoted reason. Plus it's not in the bible. Plus... we have no emperical data to suggest that Stig's beech would have swung less if he would have just cut it up normal.

Sean: :lol: I seriously laughed when I realized that you were just chiding me for spelling Heroine wrongly.:lol: Made me feel super good when my hero Mick spelled it the exact same way.:lol:

No Sean, I think you actually spelled it rightly... might be worthy of a google search. :lol: No... I KNOW you'll be on my side with this one... I had merely been suggesting that it was INSANELY irresponsible for these poop-stain kids to run around the removal jobs with itunes up in their Protos muffs; but then sadly noted how much better this type of opium is that the type that daily kills tens or hundreds on our Seattle streets.

And yes... our little treeshop is HUGELY detrimentally effected by Heroine use.

Crazy hinges...

Crazy H... When I went back to Jersey to visit some family...
They told me about public safe shoot up shelters...
Like go in and shoot up in a safe environment..... blew my mind away...

Yea Deva, here in the armpit of America the liberals/progressives that run/influence everything have no problem supporting wacky shit like that, while at the same time suffering from a major case of NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) so they try to push it all into the bigger towns/cities (small ones we have), making them all the more f'd, sort of making them like what you have going on in your's on the left coast...

Ohhh... so NIMBY... the usual aristocratic response... "Let the stupid proletariat destroy themselves... the earth's overpopulated they say."

:(

No Sean, I think you actually spelled it rightly... might be worthy of a google search. :lol: No... I KNOW you'll be on my side with this one... I had merely been suggesting that it was INSANELY irresponsible for these poop-stain kids to run around the removal jobs with itunes up in their Protos muffs; but then sadly noted how much better this type of opium is that the type that daily kills tens or hundreds on our Seattle streets.

And yes... our little treeshop is HUGELY detrimentally effected by Heroine use.
Internally, or theft/ crime?

Btw
There is heroin- dope, and hero/ heroine, iirc.

Got a call yesterday that I answered in a whim. Mostly, I screen calls sure to telemarketers, and the influx of telemarketer calls for a while after answering one.

She didn't know if it was going to be "$500 or $5000".

1.5 miles from home, so I popped down, sold it, told her if come back after second breakfast.

Less than two hours onsite.
Homeowner cleanup.
Remove the largest bigleaf, remove a dead little, entwined bigleaf maple, and a little pruning on the rest, from the same ground-set TIP.
Kept her husband of the ladder were his new chainsaw and how-to- chainsaw YouTube video.

Hat-racked a couple flowering cherries are 6', before the bid... brutal.

Got her interested in planting the next generation of trees (properly... YouTube of how to plant a tree, not how to use a shovel).

House is barely out of frame. Retaining wall around low side of maples.
2511t-one-tanker, fuel to spare job. IMG_20200302_130634558.jpg IMG_20200302_132522808.jpg IMG_20200302_132602009.jpg IMG_20200302_132539022.jpg

Back