The Official Work Pictures Thread

Ouch! I wear a standard forestry helmet (see my avatar) no chinstrap.

No Aluminium helmets here, I should spring for a power rangers jobby I suppose.

I consider chin straps a big deal. I know a situation where a climber took a fall onto a soft sloped Hillside and survived the fall well.... that's where his helmet came off. As he roll down the hill he hit his head on a rock and it caused a brain injury.

I have since about 1989 used a chin strap; hate them some days, especially in the heat, sweating with annoying sawdust getting under it.
Saw a head strike once, and once was enough to change my mind.
Coincidentally I have always worn a helmet while on a motorcycle.

In college, while considering Physical Therapy as a career, I volunteered at the head injury Rehab Ward.

One

Do Not Want!

I had a thread here asking about helmets. I ended up with a Petzl Vertex as my construction helmet. For construction, sometimes I buckle it, sometimes I don't. It usually depends on if the dangling strap is getting on my nerves or not. That helmet saved me from a face plant in the woods a couple weeks ago. I didn't have it buckled, but it stays on *much* better than a regular hardhat, and the front of the helmet hit the ground instead of my face. It wouldn't have been a traumatic injury or anything, but I'll take no face plant over face plant every day of the week. Makes me more inclined to keep it buckled.

Funny when I first started I wore a ball cap then a cheesy hard hat... I liked it bc it was green...

Climbing like a monkey half the time the challenge was keeping my hard hat on my head...

So then I got a real helmet after the SK8 helmet. The chin strap keeps the helmet on after a side impact... often things continue to rain down in a shit storm... after the first drop.

The chin strap is like a seat belt...

And it helps a lot when leaning back to look at the anchor or limbs over you, or "walking" on the underside of a limb.

Deva and Marc get it. Trouble usually comes in 3's. Get hit by one limb, another may likely be coming. Analogy of a seat belt is good. Fussing with safety equipment that is trying to escape from your head is goofy, time wasting and ultimately can be dangerous. C'est la vie. Or WTF.

You know Sean... there is a very weird generational thing about the aesthetics of the photos. To all of us old farts it just looks like this absolutely insanely silly Power Ranger getup, as I think, Mick already suggested.

For me, the price combined with the chintzy plastic just adds to the Protos hate. But hey... at least the boys have a sweet surround-sound stereo settup in there so that they can be completely oblivious to their surroundings. Heroin can be so hard on the vein walls you know.

Sean...as I see it, H today is about like maryjane was to me and my peeps in the mid 1970's. Close to normal behavior, I fear.

This is not an endorsement of opiate use! And today's cannabis strains legally available here in my home state are so strong as to make operating anything even as complicated as a pencil mighty difficult for most folks. No endorsement there either :).

Wow. I'm out of touch if H is the norm on a crew.

A lot of the helmet protection is the suspension to try and deflect the impact off your head, neck and spinal cord.

P.s. not endorsing protos... they are a bit space bottish.

I’m not sure how or why heroin got into this thread!

I have never liked chinstraps as I feel they put my neck at risk if I get a side brush, but I can see the reasoning.

For working people prescription pills (not necessarily theirs) are more common ime. But honestly it's the same thing. Thankfully I've never been hurt bad enough that taking vicodin for more than a couple days even sounded appealing.

This illustrates pretty well, why trick cuts have their place in the forest and not around objects prone to break, such as houses.

I was trying to get this beech to go against the massive sidelean with a double hinge.
As you can see, it held really well, enough to actually pull two roots out of the ground.
The tree still went some 15-20 degrees to the left of the face cut.

No big deal, I kept it from going into all the small stuff which would have made bucking it a mess, but it would have been even easier to buck on the wet ground if I had managed to put it across the other log, as was my intention.

Since I was using a double hinge instead of the "usual" triple, maybe I should give it a fancy name and claim I invented it.

20200228_082506.jpg 20200228_082523.jpg

Back