The Official Work Pictures Thread

And since you gave me an honest answer, here is a big kiss from me.

That answer really made my day.

Thanks, Mick.

Last saturday I whacked the tops off of 2 lovely Birch trees, because the German tourists who rent the cabin, where they grew, all year, complained that they couldn't get German TV.
Stupid trees blocked the signal.

I didn't even tell the cabin owner that it was a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD thing to do, since I figured all those Euros, the Germans paid him, made him care less than nothing.

Does that make you feel better about me. :D

I bang wedges all the time BTW.

I don't like the idea of a wood wedge either. It has to sustain an huge load and hammering it, you tend to split it apart like an usual fence post or stake. What becomes its load bearing capability?
I do use one cut in a limb once in a while, but it's at the very end when the tree needs just a little bit more to tip over and I have put all the wedges I have on hand (sometimes, just laziness to get some more in the truck). Almost no force on it.
There are high lift plastic wedges, twice the common thickness, stackable too. Very useful.

I got to do some tree work today! \o/

This post will be a little longer than this dumb little thing deserves. For you all, it's a day that ends in "y", and before your coffee break, but I don't get to do it that often.

Here's the tree after I stopped to refill my saw, and dropped the bottle cap :^S
20191102_133339.jpg
Fetched my cap, refilled my bottle, and dragged some branches out of the way.

Bird's eye view...
20191102_142900.jpg

I set a rope on my way up, topped it, and started to work my way down, taking 3'-4' chunks. My 2511 was starting to get a little small, and I was getting irritated with my spurs sticking hard in the spruce. If I did this as a career, I'd get myself some pole gaffs for these kind of trees. This is what I was left with, the rope's attached to a maasdam/walnut...

20191102_151434.jpg

Crispy...
20191102_155218.jpg

Against better judgement, the stump(bad cut, and a dutchman, but I wasn't too worried about it with the rope)
20191102_162514.jpg

My gear...
20191102_160118.jpg

Finally, me!
20191102_151454.jpg

A couple thoughts... I wasn't as comfortable as I'd like when I got high up. A lot of it was the spurs really burrying in wood. Whenever I stopped to work, it was a chore to move again. Twist, twist, bend bend, "Hnngh..." pop!, then the other side's stuck :^S I also tried latex coated fabric gloves for the first time today. Seems like all the tree guys use them. I don't like those at all. They're hot, stick when shouldn't, and slip when they need to grip. I'm going back to my plain leather shells. Easy on, easy off, and good function on wood, metal, and rope.

All in all it was a good day. Wasn't flawless, but I accomplished exactly what I wanted. Got the spruce down, and saved every locust sapling that was below it. Those will be the replacements. I'll thin them later, and get a couple persimmon I think. Nothing was damaged, and I didn't hurt myself :^)

We had a nasty nor'easter rip through NJ on Halloween night, and my phones been ringing of the hook. Took care of this wayward oak limb for a friend today. Had to bottle jack a 6"x6" stud to keep it upright, but when cutting pieces off the deck, it slipped and crushed/detached that section. Was able to get the final piece off w/the Masdaam and a 3:1 on the rope, and avoided hitting the windows or the house, and the hot tub escaped unscathed. Awaiting the pics/vids my friend took to show the team in action:

IMG_20191102_093806.jpg IMG_20191102_093829.jpg

90 ft tall pin oak, straight as an arrow, about 15 ft from the corner of the house. Tree is okay except for the fresh wound at the top. I'll be drone examining the wound in a week or 2 to see if I recommend total take down or leave as is. That limb fell 60 ft and amazingly only landed on the deck.

That was some good luck. Could have taken out a good bit of house. Not the time of year for extensive house venting.

90 ft tall pin oak, straight as an arrow, about 15 ft from the corner of the house. Tree is okay except for the fresh wound at the top. I'll be drone examining the wound in a week or 2 to see if I recommend total take down or leave as is. That limb fell 60 ft and amazingly only landed on the deck.

Take it out, don’t give it another chance.

Pictures of it and the trees around it would be cool. My inclination would be to leave it if it will have benefits for the homeowner, like afternoon shade and protection against trees behind it reaching the house.

Cleanup the tear and any over-extended limbs and it may be the safest tree on the lot for years to come.

I'm always about leaving trees. My place would be virtually 100% destroyed if all the trees came down at one time. They give me my cloak of green in the summer, and low cooling bills, while allowing me to pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. It's what I like most about living in this suburban hell. No trees, I might as well hit the road. My Aerial view above was the neighbor's property. I picked that so y'all could see something. They cut down their trees for their stupid solar panels, and still use more energy than me. This is my house. You can kinda see the roof...

20191102_142848.jpg

Pictures of it and the trees around it would be cool. My inclination would be to leave it if it will have benefits for the homeowner, like afternoon shade and protection against trees behind it reaching the house.

Cleanup the tear and any over-extended limbs and it may be the safest tree on the lot for years to come.
I'll see if I can get pictures of that next weekend after the expo (as he's not close by). The tree is on the side of his house right on the border of his neighbor's yard (so nothing behind to be concerned with).

I agree on the keep if viable senario. Besides, if you look in the background of the 2nd pic, you'll see the nasty looking, twisted ash that he and his other neighbor will be having me remove sooner rather than later (splits their border, leans towards neighbor's house, and the big limb hangs over my friend's driveway where his cars are parked; EAB concerns strike again)!

Back