The Official Work Pictures Thread

Nope.
The guy who bought the forest behind my house is a somewhat retired seed merchant.
He got rich by being the first to collect and sell abies Normanniana seeds from the Ambrolauri region in Georgia about 40 years ago.
Those are simply the best, most sought after variety for making x-mas trees in Europe, way better than the stuff we used to get from Turkey.
He was able to establish local contacts to harvest seed for him and get permission to export them, which was no mean deed during the cold war.
He made a lot of money doing that and eventually branched into all kinds of forestry seeds.

He can't sit still even though he is in his late 70es, so when we had a load of seeds on the Beech trees this year, he asked if he could hire us to help out.

It is tedious work and not something I'd want to do for long, on the other hand it was a fascinating glimpse into large scale seed harvesting.

We have only done cone picking and collecting for genetic material.

I used to go nuts collecting acorns (he LOVED them!) for my pet squirrel... you gotta inspect each one for a worm hole! :whine:

Very cool job and post, Stig.

Rich, we've seen lots of similar pics as yours above but somehow yours looks most excellent, danks for posting

Yeah Cory. That’s something I tend to do. Placing my top handle on the cut is something I do because of a pic that Reg used for his avatar for a while. This one was because I made a pretty decent sized cut with that top handle. I took a 30’ log off. It wasn’t even short bar syndrome. I was just to lazy to want to pull up the 462. I had to take the brush off fairly small because of the power lines. I guess they are the main lines connecting the East and west side of the city. They seem to be important enough that the power company has a truck sitting down the road all day long. Just another day in paradise. Gotta hurry. Almost time for the shutdown.

Back