The Official Work Pictures Thread

Thanks for the comments on the white birch job. Here are a couple pics of one that I looked at today. The tree is has three cables, it is 6 inches far from the deck. The cables are at least 10 years old and you can see all the new growth over the house since the tree was initially cabled and maybe pruned. The client wants the cables inspected and all the deadwood removed. I was thinking of quoting the removal of everything above the house since I will be up there cleaning it. I wish I could do the whole removal but it is way above my gear and over the client's budget.
over the house.jpg quote.jpg

I'd recommend lighting the hell outta that limb. Removal isn't really necessary unless they're tired of all the crap on the roof.

Maybe for another thread but what sort of liability do you assume down there i wonder by 'inspecting' 10+ year old cables?

@ squisher and Gary
The plan: I will go up to the cables, look for fraying and damage to the bolts. Make a report with pictures and give my opinion whether they should be replaced or not.

@Masterblaster
Which part of the forum do you think this discussion should go? It could be a long and interesting thread.

You buy the gear as your get the jobs that need the gear.

10 year old cables would likely have been outgrown, proportionally.

Your opinion, as a professional, is where the liability comes in.

I'd imagine I'd already expect to suggest replacement and pruning, based on the likely growth, and cycles to failure. There will be things you can't see.

Why risk it IMO.

Just remove and replace. Send the bill!

A lot easier to give an opinion that is accurate on new equipment/cabling than to hazard a guess at some 10 year old kit.

Great feedback. I now only see two options: Suggest replacement and not get the work or suggest replacement and get the work. In any case, I will leave the client with a well documented situation and suggestions for next steps. After that it is up to them to make a decision.

By suggestions, you mean what? Maybe you mean 'service options', like installation of a cable system designed around the current state of the tree?

CYA.

We did a job for the National park that meant we had to bring in a forwarder.
As luck would have it, we had 3 other jobs along the same gravel road, 2 sceduled and one " While you are here anyway, could you............?).

So we were able to use the forwarder for all clean-up.
I made a deal with a local chip guy, that he could have the would if he'd chip it and get it off the property.
He'll probably make about a grand off of that and I was rid of it for free.

Anyway, having the forwarder there meant we could give the clients real low prices while at the same time making an obscene amount of money, a real win- win.

Total time including clean up on the 3 big Linden.....1½ hour:D

P1060968.JPG P1060962.JPG P1060970.JPG P1060974.JPG P1060977.JPG P1060979.JPG P1060982.JPG

Old mossy thatched roof.
It will be renewed when they fix the house up.

Nice forwarder! Got to love the drop it and it’s moved immediately by a machine jobs!!

Back