The Official Random Video Thread!

From his website, this is quite a cool brief story about a wise old bull elephant, referred to as a pathfinder. I was thinking about that term- to be truly a pathfinder is pretty cool as it would involve a lot more than simply finding the right route but would involve many key decisions and tactics/strategies for keeping the traveling group intact and healthy along the way.

​ELEGENDS
LEGENDARY AFRICAN ELEPHANTS

​Profile#1: Voortrekker

Legendary pathfinder of an isolated population of desert adapted elephants in southern Damaraland, Namibia, Voortrekker richly deserves the status of my first elegend profile. Many elephant have a story to tell, but Voortrekker?s is especially meaningful. It is one that not only transcends our contemporary understanding of elephant biology and behavior, but the captivating mystery of these magnificent animals too. A capacity that is unfortunately under-acknowledged by science, yet is crucial to elephant awareness.

His story goes something like this.

During the 1980?s, the turbulent war years of southern Africa that preceded Namibian independence, the desert elephant population was virtually wiped out. Conditions were lawless. Those who survived found refuge from the poacher?s guns deep within the remote and desolate gorges of Kaokaland in the north. As a result, the Ugab and Huab River systems, the southernmost ephemeral waterways of Damaraland were devoid of elephants for well over a decade.

Voortrekker, born on the Ugab River some 45 years ago, was one of the bulls to trek north during the conflict years. And in the early 2000?s he decided to return home, and began a relay of south-bound expeditions, penetrating deeper and deeper into the dry and uncertain landscape before commencing with an epic traverse through to the relative bounty of the Ugab. It was a marathon across arid plains and ancient craters that would ultimately redefine what we know of elephant endurance, intuition and behavior. Just how he navigated is anyone?s guess. And furthermore, as the conflict years coincided with a serious drought cycle, just how he knew he would find water (let alone where), is one of elegend?s most enduring mysteries.

But his ultimate legacy does not end there.

For over two successive summer seasons he returned north, returning each time to the Ugab with a small family unit in tow. A true elephant patriarch? These elephants are still resident in the region and have formed the nucleus of three distinct breeding herds, making the Ugab/Huab Rivers perhaps the most viable desert elephant habitats in the world. Voortrekker continues as one of the dominant bulls, a true legend of the Ugab. His ancestral knowledge has been passed down to a new generation of desert dwellers. What a legacy!

For me, all of this addresses one of the most crucial fallacies of elephant conservation, trophy hunting, and the notion of sustainable consumption: that older bulls have no value to an elephant community and can be hunted under the banner of ecological benefit.

This is a fundamental calamity.

And is precisely why Voortrekker?s story needs to be told to a wider audience. I invite you to share widely. Elephant, generally, are considered as a keystone of an ecological circuit, but THIS elephant could be considered as a keystone of elephant consciousness.

That's what the kid does, lip sync to random songs. He has a rare disease similar to dwarfism too. Since he is hilarious, and has very good upbeat personality, he's actually a YouTube star from a few years ago, and got to meet (and make videos) with a bunch of celebrities, including Jennifer Aniston lol.

Speaking of wow...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gl9mum47wdY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lol, I'm petty sure he failed the field sobriety test!!! In all seriousness tho, that's amazing the cow can do that. I wonder if someone has to lift him up first tho?

I know a blue heeler who got caught in front of a sickle mower in a tight swing turn...lost her left front leg at the shoulder, and her right rear leg just under the hams. To be clear, this dog had only two legs, on opposite corners.

The vet was all for putting her down, but her peeps wanted to give her a chance.

Less than a year after the event, that dog (a three year old then) could stand quietly, run fast, jump up into the open tailgate of a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup.

All on two legs. That still blows my mind.

She's 9 now, showing her years a bit, but still an amazing beast. Muscles like most of us can only wish to have :). She has my admiration.

EqYxSbr.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DYzT-Pk6Ogw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is just so neat.
What a fine way of commemorating that first climb.

I love the Swiss Alp, and after marrying my Swiss gal, Margot, luckily get to spend time in them regularly.

That is pretty much how I sound, when I speak German.
Like a Swiss guy who is trying to speak Hoch Deutsch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UW7g9MX-Mns" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you don't know the story of the first ascent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_ascent_of_the_Matterhorn

Interesting:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1HotrHNXwpE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My favourite was the Scarampella.

Back