The Official Random Video Thread!

Ed, I am looking past inducing fear. I want a secure perimeter when I am not home. I have had my fill of thieves the past few years and they seem to be getting more brazen. I talked with some friends who work overseas and they said this Shepard will defend it's zone and family quite effectively.

Still suffering from thievery, Dave, that is terrible. Must indeed be a bad feeling. Man, what is it with people that they have to stoop so low? Hope you find a solution.

What you need is an Insanity Wolf.

courage_wolf_vs__insanity_wolf_by_remus71.jpg

o69qj.jpg

o69sm.jpg

Tattoo

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8GBVF8FzPI0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ed, I am looking past inducing fear. I want a secure perimeter when I am not home. I have had my fill of thieves the past few years and they seem to be getting more brazen. I talked with some friends who work overseas and they said this Shepard will defend it's zone and family quite effectively.

My Rottweiler was the perfect yard dog...only bite once, (stupid friend). They will guard your fence line well. Just make sure your home owners insurance will cover you...not may do.

Rottweiler's are also very good with kids, (part of the family kids) and very protective. I was holding my new born son when my oldest sons friend approached too fast...my Rottweiler barked with a lunge and stood between us. That was not my Rottweiler's fault...that was mine...I should have known better.

I was once held pretty frozen in a front yard by a Rottweiler. Guy had an illegal enterprise going on in his garage, I did not like that experience at all. Had a similar experience with a Doberman, going to a custoner's house that wasn't home. The dog didn't want me to leave the porch, standing between it and my truck. It was making such a ruckus that a neighbor came out and yelled at it and it went around the side, my chance to leave.

Stig, have a question. I am looking into getting a good dog for protecting shop and house. Seriously looking at the Caucasian Sheperds. Any insight?

You are thinking about the Kangal, right?

Tough dog to find out stuff about, because both the Tyrks and the Kurds consider it their national dog and compete in hyping it on the net.

The traditional way was to raise them away from human contact and let them grow up with the sheep.
That way they became extremely protective of the flock of sheep they spent their time with.

You could try to raise one with only your chainsaw as company:lol:

Joking aside, I once thought about getting one myself. beautiful dogs and I think for your purpose, it would do very well.

The problem with those large assertive breeds arise when wimpy guys buy them in order to have a large dog to bolster their manlyness.
Then you get a dog that has no respect for it's owner ( notice I didn't say: Master) which always equals trouble, but especially when said dog weighs 180 pds!!!

Since you strike me as a person who would have no trouble taking and keeping the alpha role, the Kangal should work out fine for you, provided you take the time to train it.

Actually there is a whole line of shepherds going from the Kangal over the Anatolian, the pyreneean and the spanish breeds, which are pretty much the same type of dog.

Perimeter dogs, bred to protect their flock, not to drive it. Those I've known have all had pretty much the same personality, and the exterior only differs little.

I have a ½ pyreneean/shepherd mix, worlds friendliest dog when I'm around. When I'm not, my wife tells me he gets extremely protective of her. I have also seen him get very, very aggressive towards people who got too close to the truck. ( Heguards the truck when we work in the city, so no-one lift a saw or something from the bed.
He also starts and ends each day by walking the perimeter of my 4½ acres, making sure everything is ok.

He also starts and ends each day by walking the perimeter of my 4½ acres, making sure everything is ok.

off-topic (surprise): I was wondering, Stig, how much land you have. I thought about it after you're ballooning guests post.
Me 1.75 acres, no balloon. I don't know that Rupert is exactly a 'guard' dog, more of an 'Alert!' dog, though his size does intimidate some, somehow, wagging tail and all.

Is the Hungarian Kuvasz in the category of dogs that you are referring to, Stig? A breed that is observant and cautious of strangers, and prepared to make their own decisions and wisely act in an instant if required. It's one dog that I have long admired and read about. In ancient times, travelers tying their money around the neck of an accompanying dog was apparently not uncommon, an animal that a potential robber would not want to mess with. It is my impression that headstrong dogs like that don't just get trained once, then they are set to perform as you want for the duration. The training needs to be enforced regularly, and working with them requires a time commitment. Space and the time to keep them in good form is something that needs to be considered. If you take an animal like that to work with you, and it is getting regular attention on a daily basis, that would seem pretty convenient. if you are just leaving it at home alone all the time, then you are coming home tired and not having the reserve to spend time with the animal, is that going to work out?

Caucasian Ovcharka, Stig. I looked at the Kangals and I am thinking if I go down that road I want the most durable animal that can run the woods any season. From what I gather, they are super smart and the Alpha role never stops. If the dog sees the owner weaken then it will take over.

Is the Hungarian Kuvasz in the category of dogs that you are referring to, Stig? A breed that is observant and cautious of strangers, and prepared to make their own decisions and wisely act in an instant if required. It's one dog that I have long admired and read about. In ancient times, travelers tying their money around the neck of an accompanying dog was apparently not uncommon, an animal that a potential robber would not want to mess with. It is my impression that headstrong dogs like that don't just get trained once, then they are set to perform as you want for the duration. The training needs to be enforced regularly, and working with them requires a time commitment. Space and the time to keep them in good form is something that needs to be considered. If you take an animal like that to work with you, and it is getting regular attention on a daily basis, that would seem pretty convenient. if you are just leaving it at home alone all the time, then you are coming home tired and not having the reserve to spend time with the animal, is that going to work out?

Jay, the dog(dogs) would be on post while I am at work. I spend 2-3 hours each weekday running my dogs to exercise them and at least all day in the woods every weekend. The animal I am looking at can be trained to watch the 15 acres it is responsible for. I am exploring getting 2 maybe more. They seem to work well as a group. There is a pretty good video on Youtube from Georgia (Russia) that shows an old Shepard talking about the 8 that he runs.

Thanks, Dave, I am going to check out that site. i really enjoy reading about dogs, the temperaments of the various breeds and what is required to have them fulfill their potential. Some people will come right out and say, "Don't get this breed unless you.....". I didn't realize that you are already so attentive with ones that you currently have, that is cool. Good luck finding one that suits your needs to watch over things.

Seems like a good choice.

I'd get two males, so they can keep each other company and work as a pair. Unless you plan to leave your other dogs at home with them. Then one would suffice.

But don't get them at the same time. Two pups of the same age are really hard to train as they tend to gang up on you and turn training sessions into fun and games.

Whereas once one is well trained, it'll be a huge help in training the next one.

The first lady looked serious.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/47e3vjA_4uc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is good to know!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y_m6p99l6ME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back