The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 291K
Just checked this thread, sorry for your loss Mike. So hard to loose your best friend. My last dog died of natural causes at 16, had 1 bad day and died in the night. Such a great dog he didn't even make me put him down...

Just checked this thread, sorry for your loss Mike. So hard to loose your best friend. My last dog died of natural causes at 16, had 1 bad day and died in the night. Such a great dog he didn't even make me put him down...

Thanks Paul, I appreciate it. That sounds like a very noble way for a dog to go out, especially after living what I am assuming was 16 great years.

I'll soon have to go through it again I'm afraid. My Redbone hound, Bowzer, is at an advanced age as well. He's been here with me since he was just a pup too, and is 12 or so.

I wish dogs lived as long as humans....

No, though it might be somewhat easier to look after dogs compared to humans, old folks homes generally suck. I wouldn't hesitate to send an old dog to a Filipino staffed rest home though, they tend to be excellent and compassionate care givers. It must be something in their culture, perhaps respect for the aged.

That's a worse thing to put a dog through than the other way around, perhaps. When my father died, his Brittany spaniel was never the same. They were tight. She was lost without him, worse than me and my sister...though maybe not worse than my mother. But only maybe.

Burnham, it isn't the first time I have heard the story of a dog being lost when it's owner passed away. Sad. I have a friend couple that had a beloved aged Shepherd. They went to Europe for a year's stay and had to leave the dog with someone that would be house sitting. The dog seriously mopped around and ended up dying...perhaps of a broken heart. I think that my friend ended up questioning the wisdom in leaving the dog. It might still haunt them.

Burnham, it isn't the first time I have heard the story of a dog being lost when it's owner passed away. Sad. I have a friend couple that had a beloved aged Shepherd. They went to Europe for a year's stay and had to leave the dog with someone that would be house sitting. The dog seriously mopped around and ended up dying...perhaps of a broken heart. I think that my friend ended up questioning the wisdom in leaving the dog. It might still haunt them.

It would haunt me, no doubt.

Faithful...if there is anything else but a dog that can carry that ideal to the extreme, I'm not sure what it might be.

Terribly sorry to hear that Jack. It is very tough. It is nice that your daughter and spouse got to say goodbye to her though and be with her til the end.

Back