The Joke/Funny Pic/Video Thread

I've seen def pumps at the bigger truck stops, but usually it's in the semi truck area and is right by the diesel pumps, so you could do both at once. My 350 uses so little i don't really need it, but i had a company dodge that just drank the stuff so having that at certain stops made life much easier.

Got to admit, that one went over my head.

I still don't get it.

Def stands for diesel exhaust fluid, aka urea, aka piss. I think it just has the def thing on it as an advertisement, but if it's really a def pump that would mess up an engine pretty bad

Got to admit, that one went over my head.

I still don't get it.
What Kyle doesn't explain for you, @stig is that here in the US, most modern diesel engines require this DEF in addition to diesel fuel. Helps with pollution emissions, I think. Separate on board tankage, mixed in automatically as you drive. Without DEF in the DEF tank, the vehicle goes into limp home mode...in other words, nearly undrivable.

Def is only around 3 bucks a gallon, if even honestly. I haven't stopped at a truck stop lately, but it was less than 5 a gallon even at the pump. The true blue def is for people who don't know that urea is urea, a special brand doesn't help unlike oil. I refuse to buy that overpriced crap, i usually buy kleen def brand at menards for around 10 bucks for 2.5 gallon, 5 gallons every oil change and I'm good. Walmart has a similar priced deal

I just remember being told to buy some for a work truck, not knowing anything about it. The guy at the counter said get the $20 colorless stuff instead of the $30 blue. It may have been 2 gallons per $20, I can't remember.

The thing I don't get is, it's supposed to counteract nitrogen oxide from lean (clean) burning, but they also put soot filters on diesels, which is caused by rich or cold burning as far as I know. Sounds like the EPA partnering with manufacturers to sell emissions equipment. I feel like there should be a better way to get engines to burn cleaner, but I could be wrong.

I looked into it a little bit. DEF is not a fuel additive, never mixes with the fuel. It's sprayed into the exhaust. Here's a short copy/paste...

What is Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)?
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a non-hazardous solution, which is 32.5% urea and 67.5% de-ionized water. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream of diesel vehicles to break down dangerous NOx emissions into harmless nitrogen and water. This system is called Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) and can be found on 2010 and later model year trucks and many diesel pickups and SUVs. DEF is not a fuel additive and never comes into contact with diesel. It is stored in a separate tank, typically with a blue filler cap.

The above is from this website...

Last edited:
It's synthetic piss. I've been led to understand that the purpose isn't to reduce total emissions, but to make the emissions particulates heavy so they fall out of the air. Airborne is bad, but falling on the ground is ok. So the DEF basically makes the airborne pollutants heavy so they get caught in the filter. Then the regen process burns off the filter and turns it all into ash so it falls on the ground.

Meh is selling stroopwafels today, and I thought their ad copy was pretty funny and true. frig sugar cookies...

The holidays are upon us, and as we all navigate the nuances of our own particular routines and traditions, it’s a time for setting aside difference and focusing on the simple truths which unite us all.

Of course it’s also borderline impossible for anyone to agree on anything anymore, so let’s keep those simple truths extra simple:

Trading Places is the best Christmas movie and sugar cookies are gaaaaaaaarbage.

“Sugar cookie” isn’t even a real name for a cookie. All cookies are sugar. Calling something a sugar cookie is like asking the bartender for an alcohol beer. That could mean pretty much anything, up to and just barely including Bud Lite.

Besides, sugar cookies know they’re terrible. That’s why you have to dress them up with cute icing to make them even remotely palatable. Now you’ve got a crappy cookie that at least looks kind of like a snowman, which makes it slightly less chalky and dry than something Santa would feed the reindeer for Christmas Eve carbo loading.

Ugh. We were going somewhere with this, right?

Right. Holiday treats that you actually want to eat. That’s where we’re going with this.

Stroopwafels are what you get when your holiday dessert is the result of countless generations of traditional Dutch treat-craft instead of something that seems like it was created on a bet about who could turn the fewest ingredients into something that’s technically still edible.

If you’re familiar with stroopwafels, you’re probably already sold on this preposterously good deal for less than thirty bucks. If you’re not…holy crap you need to get on the Daelmans train, like, right now.

They even come in these legitimately stylish gift boxes and if you show up to your holiday gathering with a couple under your arm, someone will absolutely throw Aunt Mary’s sugar cookie spread right in the damn fire to make room on the dessert table.

‘Tis the season for showing up your relatives.

Stroopwafels will be gone at midnight, so link won't reference what I'm talking about after today.

Well, I have never heard of DEF before, ever! Learn something new every day.

No it is used here under the name AdBlue.

I'm still somewhat derped out.
If it is a diesel SUV, which most here are, what would be the problem about her filling AdBlue on the AdBlue tank?

I honestly thought the joke was something about her being negro and having Texas number plates.

Most here aren't diesel because of how bad diesel emissions are, even though I would consider Europe ahead of the USA as far as emissions and chemical safety goes. I tend to think the fuel efficiency of diesel could out weigh any increase in emissions it might have over gas.

Europe is moving back to gas in smaller vehicles again because of emissions.
Of course the big move is towards electric.

Back