The Fiskars Pruning Stik pole pruner thread

Devils advocate : They must be make like crap if you have had 8 in the past few years. Marvins are easy to replace parts when needed and they literally last for decades.

Does the different angle help you guys make difficult cuts easier? Do you guys use them while climbing? They must be light then.
You got that right. Complete garbage. And the pruning hook needs to be set just right, or it leaves a small stub, or worse, tears. This pruner is perfect for the homeowner who's only going to use it once a year and doesn't mind the crappy scarring left on the callus roll.

My buddy had gone thru three within a few years before I kicked him down my old Marvin fiberglass pole pruners. Spend a few dollars more the first time, to avoid spending less -multiple times.

I'll read every other page on larger threads- sometimes skipping a few, sometimes not. But being this is an opinions thread, I don't find it imperative to scrutinize all comments— especially considering I have practical knowledge of the tool in question.

It's how I roll... :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just to catch you up to speed, I do not buy this whole printer to avoid the expense of getting a proper pruner. In fact I'm sure I spend more per year in pole pruners then many of you guys combined! Ha ha

I prefer this tool because there is no tool on the market that allows you to adjust the cutting head to make a perfect cut on every cut. That means a lot to me and my clients. There is no way around this. And as soon as someone comes out with a better tool for the job, I really do not care the price, I will purchase that tool. But until that day, I'll tolerate the Stik

love
nick

My apologies.

I had to google that to make sure we're talking about the same tool. I was confused with the Fiskars pole pruner that has an orange nylon webbing running down the poles shaft -where you press the two poles together In a sleeve like configuration — that then causes the pruner to cut.

I am familiar with that- and from what I felt, it wasn't worth looking into.

That's similar to what I remember. What I didn't care for was it cut with an anvil type head, rather than a shear. This would make it difficult to make a proper cut if you couldn't get in at just the perfect angle.

Have you used the Fred Marvin heads and not liked them? I can't imagine anything better.

This isn't an anvil cutter. It's a bypass shear and yes I've used fred Marvin and Jameson poles. They are wayyyyyyyyy more robust- but can't get in the angles to make the proper cuts that the Pruning Stik can.

love
nick

I did two fruit trees at all sorta of crazy angles (leaving a couple bad cuts out of 100, maybe, and they're my trees). I have another to do tomorrow at home, and try it on some plum (dense) suckers. Didn't leave the ground. The cherry was at max extension.

I did make a point to sharpen the blade before use today. Well worth it. I don't know if the blade was banging on other tools in the box or what.

I think about getting a second for fruit trees. So much less ladder work!!! This will be true on all of our repeat fruit tree customers (Feb/ March work).

I've seen that there is a ratcheting style Pruner head compatible with certain Silky models. Once the season picks up, its on my list. I appreciate how it can be adapted by just a removal of a few screws and placed on your Silky pole. No, its not produced by Silky, but it retrofits and looks similar in style. Its received good reviews as well.

Thanks Nick. Remembered this thread and swung by Home Depot before going to do one nice ornamental tree. Bought two in case one broke before I finished out the tree.

I think it saved me at least an hour on that one tree. It also kept me from having to use the 16 foot orchard ladder I brought. Monday three more ornamentals. I am leaving the tall ladder but taking the two Fiscars.

Again, thanks Nick.

Oh...Pro Tip:

When returning, ask for cash back...and get your receipt back, too. Now you have $87.17 in your pocket AND you can claim the initial purchase as an expense.

love
nick

Ha, buying two to complete one small tree probably points in the direction of me being aware of and taking personal responsibility for my actions with regard to this tool.

Thanks for the tip about keeping receipt handy. Tax management tips - you're aware they backsearched three years of the Boston bombers electronic activity right?:)

I'm on my third in Tassie in six years...something went 'pop' up in the head last month (the head of the Fiskars, not mine) and the pull cord went all slack
Took it back to Bunnings, no problem, got a new one.

The sales lady said they are coming out with a new version soon...anybody else heard that?
BTW, they cost $199 over here

Wouldn't be without one. Did buy another shorty with no extention as I saw one with a superficial crack in the handle right on time so I can rebuild the extension pole version.
Be glad to see a upgraded version for sure.

I hear Henry Ford researched what want wearing out in time with everything else, and adjusted durability downward. No need for a seeing column that would last 100 years.

Back