The Fiskars Pruning Stik pole pruner thread

Yup, best hand tool I've ever bought, besides my Zubat. Had one for at least 7 yrs...

I had the 5' stick first, then bought the extendable one, ditched the saw it came with. I don't think they sell them with the saw attachment any more?

Its perfect for pruning, gets you that extra reach to the tippy tips where even my weight is a problem!

Devils advocate : They must be make like crap if you have had 8 in the past few years. Marvins are easy to replace parts when needed and they literally last for decades.

Does the different angle help you guys make difficult cuts easier? Do you guys use them while climbing? They must be light then.

YEAH! They are flimsy. You've got to be real careful with them. But, you can make them last ... I've managed to nurse one along for a few years with some minor repairs and TLC. However, for making those long distance "by-the-book" clean, aligned, proper pruning cuts it's the bomb. And yes, use them while climbing. They are great for reaching to tips and tops that are way too weak to climb to. They are light ... reaching out horizontally 12 feet is no problem.

Fiona's right, the saw that came with mine had to be a Fiskar joke. :roll:

I tried one once but found it too light weight and easy to break. I use Corona Bull Loppers on fixed fiberglass poles in the tree and a 6' fixed length, Corona pole-snip, for smaller stuff on the ground.

Gerber warrants to the consumer that this product will be free of defects, in material and workmanship for as long as you own the product. This warranty does not cover damage due to rust, accident, loss, improper use, abuse, negligence, or modification of or to any part of the product. Normal wear and tear is not covered under the warranty. If the product failed while being used as it was intended to be used, we will service under the warranty. At Gerber's option, defective product will be repaired, replaced, or substituted with a product of equal value.

If you feel that you are in a warranty situation, please complete the form below and a representative will contact you within 2 business days (but almost always much less!).

You guys must be ham fisted to break the pruner or you are really stretching the envelope for what you are using it for! I've used mine to knock things, pull things, never actually broken it, just pulled the head out of the top of the stick, two seconds to pop it back in.
What broke on yours?

The angled head is the bee's knees for getting those correct cuts, light enough to climb with or send up and down as needed.

Bonner not sure still to new to replace. However, its a shorter blade. It is under three ft. In closed touch over six extended.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Devils advocate : They must be make like crap if you have had 8 in the past few years.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. For what they are, they are AMAZING. I believe they did not plan for day-to-day tree workers to use them. When you cut with the angled head, making proper cuts is a snap. Not only that, the way it works (pulling the sleeve/collar rather than a rope) is just WAY more ergonomic. Regular pole pruners are basically 1 handed. You can[\i] use your other hand to help, but sometimes you have to really reef on the rope and you have to hold the pole with one hand and pull the rope with the other. This tool is two hands all the time.

But they were thinking that it would get used once a month for a few minutes then put back in the garage.

So if it's only $80/each and lets say I go through 3/year. That's $250 that at the end of the year, I'm not really going to notice. But to make a perfect cut almost every time...priceless.

...The pruner and the saw both cut well?

The pruner cuts VERY well. I'm constantly surprised at what it can cut. It has limits (like any tool) and you'll learn what they are as you use them.

The saw? It looks super cheesy. I've never used it once. I have 3 of them sitting on a shelf if anyone wants it! It might cut well- I've just never tried. It sorta screws on to the shaft with built in c-clamps.

I buy it purely for the pruner.

What broke on yours?

For me it is either the webbing on the inside or the little black cord that actually pulls the cutter head. For whatever reason I decided last week to disassemble one and try to fix it. It took HOURS to understand how it all works- but now that I do, I know I can do field repairs as needed!

I replaced the black cord (that's what broke on the last one) with 2.2mm zing-it. I'm interested to see if It outlasts the black cord.

I think I've said this before, but I'm just completely blown away by how the internal mechanism works. Whoever figured this all out deserves an award.

The angled head is the bee's knees for getting those correct cuts, light enough to climb with or send up and down as needed.

Agreed...100%

love
nick

Well said, Nick. Agreed...100% :thumbup::thumbup: Great post!

It's the angled cutting head that's makes it so worthwhile; "the bee's knees." :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like, from the pictures, the Gerber head does NOT pivot.

And, I can add a couple of un-used saws to your give-away ... but they're not worth the shipping. :lol:

Huh...'little black cord that pulls the cutting head' doesn't yours have a short section of what looks like bicycle chain to pull the cutter...coming out of the top of the stick to the lever...?

The sliding handle, the flat webbing, MUCH easier to use than a conventional rope pole pruner...and easier to wiggle it in between branches for a good cut.

Used mine yesterday pruning fruit trees, super easy to get to the tips of some overgrown peaches, hardly any need for a ladder.

Unfortunately they are $188AUD here, so I have to take good care of it!

Huh...'little black cord that pulls the cutting head' doesn't yours have a short section of what looks like bicycle chain to pull the cutter...coming out of the top of the stick to the lever...?

Yes, but if you look close, inside the cutter head there is a black string, maybe 1/8" diameter that is mostly responsible for the pivoting of the cutter head.

You can see part of it in the pic. If you take the cutter head apart, you realize it's all about the string. The string is the connection between the chain and the webbing.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333637448.891020.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333637448.891020.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 52
Just broke one! I'm gonna start keeping track. I've had this one for about 60 days. I'm checkin the receipt when I get home to see if I can return it.

Back