The Fishpole Technique

MB's technique and the text book "fishing pole technique" are WAY different.

Roger that, Wagnaw and Arborworks...MB's is to contain pieces that could break loose from a limb that might tend towards comminution when it is subjected to stress.

The fishpole technique from the ASPR book (with the pulleys) is to disperse the forces involved when cutting the end off a limb but where you need more holding power than just one block over the target area can give you...the multiple pulleys share the load.

The same technique that Butch illustrated was used on some of the dead limbs we took out of the Tree House. Brian Noyes and Mark Chisholm marled a 3/8" yellow tenex line about 20 feet long around the limbs a dozen or so times.

Much to my surprise not a single limb broke. I was kind of hoping one would just to see how it would work. I've used marls to rig out multiple sets of limbs. That was sometime before I started using snap-on gear (loop runners)

Brian's idea with the loop runners would work better on the dead limbs, because in order for marl to hold anything it has to stay loaded with the weight of the object on the side of the bite.

Did I say that right? Well, anyway, I found that out the hard way rigging out the limbs with the marls. And it was the very reason I started using snap-on gear.

The guy that taught me to climb showed me this trick. Ive used it occasionly. I have had a REAL punky piece break up with this method. Didnt work out too good as the half hitches just "turn and release" if you dont have at least 2 on same piece. Luckily for me I had told the customer no garantee and the limb did swing back away from house before raining down. Basically its one more little trick to use but not failsafe.

Does it ever occure to you how ironic it is that just when you have learned ALL the tricks its time to die.......:|:

Ray of light:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, there isn't a guarantee it'll hold every time. It'll usually hold good enough to swing away and hopefully miss the target, but I hate relying on "hope."

Brian's idea with the loop runners would work better on the dead limbs, because in order for marl to hold anything it has to stay loaded with the weight of the object on the side of the bite.

Did I say that right? .

"Bight".
now that I have proven my great intellect, I shall slink back into Gerry's shadow.

:|:

I think Butch's deal looks a lot more practical and useful than putting a bunch of pulley's along a limb.

As was noted, the two are different procedures. One is to get the last block out at the cut, and adds blocks as needed as back-up in case the branch breaks. The cut is made past the farthest out block.

Butch's method is very useful for limbs, wood of suspect strength. However, marls must be used, not half hitches. If anything breaks, a half hitch will roll out, while a marl holds.

This also works well for vertical loads, be it in tree rigging or crane work. It allows the load to hang straight down by being tied way high, and is best to marl it till you're into bigger wood.

Like Jerry says, if marls are used instead of half-hitches they won't 'roll out'.

Oh I just saw you there rb :)

Cool, I've been schooled. Marls instead of half-hitchs - only I'm a tad confused exactly what the difference is.

+1 on Brian's slings and 'biners. -Don't you love it when "quick and dirty" is also BETTER?

Cool, I've been schooled. Marls instead of half-hitchs - only I'm a tad confused exactly what the difference is.

Try tying off a small piece of wood....then remove the wood. a marl leaves an overhand knot in the rope, a half hitch nothing....

Because of their subtle difference's and similarities alike marls and hitches are often confused. The terminology is the main culprit here. Because in different geographic regions people call marls "hitches" or half hitches.

Marls by them selves can only hold in one direction and will roll out the other way.

The embeded picture shows how I used marls for taking out multiple sets of limbs in the past. The lowest limb is fixed with a clove hitch. All the rest above it are marled.

In the event one of those marled limbs hung up on the way down and turned over the marl would roll out. Also if one of the marled limbs was just a stub of deadwood the weight in the line below it would flip the stub upside down and the marl would roll out again. Likewise a very light limb.

If half hitches were used instead the work would stay captured either way. But very timely to tie and untie. The virtue of the marl as illustrated here is it's much faster to tie and very quick to free all the limbs once their on the ground. Because once the line is slack the limbs fall right out. That's the risk of the method, and the reason I went to snap on gear.

Attachments

• marls 3.jpg
    marls 3.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 17
Try tying off a small piece of wood....then remove the wood. a marl leaves an overhand knot in the rope, a half hitch nothing....

So a marl = overhand knot? I mean, from your statement, how can it not be otherwise?

Back