The big picture

• Thread starter Bounce
  • Start date
  • Replies 55
  • Views 7K
Around the same time the Patriots win the Super Bowl;)

well brother looks like this one didnt happen but the boys did make it down to sunny florida.

what i like about what i do.

well for a guy like me the moments of intense concentration sandwiched between laughs and changes of scenery are just what i need.

hard work feels good.

and knowing i can do things that not many others can do. and i do it daily.

but most important is having pride in what you do. i am proud of my effort and the result from it.

i also love the humility that will find you in a heartbeat if you try to get out ahead of yourself. fear is a great motivator.

The big picture for me is what I've left behind. I dont remeber alot of stumps I've left behind but a few in particular difficult removal jobs I remember. Mostly its the trees left standing.Taking photos is certainly in the large scheme of things. Its my small contribution back to the forest that has been so forgiving to me.

Initially, I saw an ad, a photo of a tree worker rappelling out of a tree and decided that looks like what I'd like to do. I didnt fully realized all the courage it would take over the years to stay in the trees. Ultimately it is the courage thru fear that keeps me in the trees.

Over time I am finding that trees are leading me back to people, I initially climbed to the top of trees to get away from people. What I mean is that trees have been so forgiving to me that I have learned from them to be more forgiving of people. We are all different but we are all the same.

Trees continually challenge not only my beliefs about humanity but also my ethical treatment of both trees and people. I could never have a better teacher than a tree.

Jonny Hart said it best, IMO.
We're forever being asked, "So what do you do in winter ?"
I'm two, three, four different people.
And the fact is, I don't like it.
I want to be an arborist 24-7, 365.
That just isn't possible in my climate.
A gub'mnt job is a sell-out to my mind.
Sorry to all of you who hold that coveted position. It's another one of those, "Brag about how little you do..." positions, and I for one resent it.
Be me for a minute.

I find myself in agreement with extremetrees. Trees and their associates have been a great teacher. I got into the business to make big bucks ($2.15/hr) to pay for the next year of college.

TC3 I find people asking me what I do in the summer! So far learning about trees so I can teach better the next school term; and making enough money to pay the bills so I can afford to teach the next year.

Back