• Views 10K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
you gotta love an operator who is willing to work his crane.:D

Attachments

• IKE 031.jpg
    IKE 031.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 5
now all I need is a climber who can hang, to partner up with, on all these takedowns.
we are getting a lot of work, and after the news report??????
Our salesman now schedules the work, not the estimate.8)

BTW, the butt log weighed in at 14,000 lbs (16')
around 840 lbs/ft?

Attachments

• IKE 029.jpg
    IKE 029.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 4
There is no way it weighs that much per cubic foot. Pine weighs about 53lbs a cubic foot.

Also, did you detract for the weight of the rigging, mainly the block?

54"x16'= 13480lbs
56"x16'= 14497lbs
58'x16'= 15551lbs

That's a big hunkah wood no doubt. My biggest pick has been 22klbs (crotch, about 12') after the deduction for the rigging. Had an 18k piece (10-11') that held the 22k piece off the stump.

I'm suprised the operator let ya'll/told ya'll to use the steel slings as chokers without using a shackle.

Around here, heart rot is fairly rare in Loblolly's, butt then again it's rare for one to get that size.

Grasshoppa, you're forgetting that butt wood can weigh a lot more. Edit, Dave meant the weight per lineal foot of that log....

You also might be low on your diameters...I think Dave said it was bigger than that....edit...your figures were higher than Dave's....

For reference, you'll remember our big lombardy poplar job..Woodweb shows 36 lb cubic foot, but a section 55 feet up weighed 57 lb, and 6 weeks later, is still at 45 or so! and redwood can be heavier than oak at up to 70-75lb per.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave, your success shows what a pro is capable of, and highlights the inadequacies of those who were complaining about their experiences...

I'd come help ya, but we're too busy....

That is a fat log. Been rigging a few pines down in the gulf the last week. The wood is quite different than our Sugars and Whites back home. Did a lighting struck/wind damage one the other day and it was still plenty safe. Of course Greg Liu is the absolute best guy I've EVER had run ropes for me. Incredible.:)

Ah, so that's where you went! Glad you got over that nasty flu.

Say hi to Greg for me, would ya!

Heard a blurb about Robbie Gant from a customer who had a neighbor trespass and cut his tree (s) Seems Robbie stiffed him--got paid for arbo report and never delivered. Prolly spent the ill garnered spoils on blow.....

Let's see some pics, if y'all can find the time...

Be safe!!

Mark Chisholm uses my chart. He tells me that it's rarely off for sound wood. Granted it doesn't allow for wound wood or decay.

I calculate oak (excluding live oak) at 62.5lb/ft.

To what do you attribute the increased weight of the poplar? Was the rest of the tree a similar density?

Oldest tree I've cut @ 175. White oak.

22klbs
Nexttolastpick.jpg

18klbs
Lastpick.jpg

Different job, pecan, 13.5klbs, and yes, way overkill on the crane.
Trunkheadedtotheboxes.jpg

I like to watch a pro at work! It's cool the way he set that sling so it could slide off so easily - whutta trick! And that fancy way he tied the saw - amazing!

:roll:

The way he tied the brake made the left side nipple pop out, making the chain brake harder to engage. A simple fix, but an odd way for a safety guy to tie something.

the tree has a 17' circumference.

we have a 60 ton crane, starting tuesday, and have sold more crane work.

that stump is flying to the road. FEMA's problem then.:O

I know pine grows fast, but what do you suppose the age of something like that would be?

Suprisingly young is my guess. Loblolly just doesn't live that long.

East Texas longleaf would be a different story but that was high graded years ago. What is left is RCW habitat.

I agree with TC, no problem.

I've cut hundreds of 35-40 year old pines that were 50' tall and all of 10-12" dbh.

I like pine's longevity/growth pattern better than a water oak's.

I'd guess the life expectancy is around 50-70 years. What normally gets them around here is Ipps or SPB. Normally it takes a drought to get them really susceptible to them.

thanks we had 47 guys living out of the Houston shop we had an outside shower closed in by a tarp power most of the time and cold beer a night
Its like 65 out here in NH and I freezing my ass off

thanks we had 47 guys living out of the Houston shop we had an outside shower closed in by a tarp power most of the time and cold beer a night
Its like 65 out here in NH and I freezing my ass off

Nice of them to put you up in such nice digs for your hard work and effort. :roll:
Cheap bastids couldnt put you up in a hotel?:?

Back