texas tree work

• Thread starter Treeslayer
  • Start date
  • Replies 106
  • Views 10K
All of the sudden everyone is a tree guy, right?
You would be surprised .I've seen that in action .

A few years back in the aftermath of a bad ice storm I could have easily made 5 to 7 thou had I chosen to ,per week . Just to clear a driveway they were getting 500 for about an hour and a halfs work .They didn't haul it away either .:what:

I think every con man and PT Barnum type in the country was here during that time .Now I suppose they are all in Texas .:O

Some how I would not doubt that.. (PT Barnum). But then again... I heard yesterday that a guy in my trade was offered the work for 1/2 the wood in trade for labor... Gimmee a break.... If I wanted to work for minimum wage.. Burger king comes to mind.. Oh wait! ... they pay more .. just part time .... LOL
We are talking HAZARD trees here by fire.... WTF???
We wont talk about the terrain here... The command meetings for the fire crews here told the guys coming in "this is the worst terrain you have ever had to work in"
I kid you not!... You have to rope off on slopes here to drop trees... Let alone brush out..

I heard yesterday that a guy in my trade was offered the work for 1/2 the wood in trade for labor... Gimmee a break....
Oh they try that about everywhere but I don't think the success rate is too high .--or they try and get the treemen to cut their prices if they haul off the wood .Not many takers there either .

I just think we should leave the storm work for the local guys. --IMHO.

Jamin, I agree for the most part. That said, those folks in Texas need the help. I can remember after Wilma, I was at a stop light, (the one of 4 in town) and there was a tree company on each corner. That was pretty cool, we needed the help.

Yeah, I kind of frown upon "storm chasers." I think the locals should get all of the work. Why should I go down there and take some guy's work, you know? Unless I was invited or something...

They need more pros. My comment was about the jack of all trades-master of none types that are suddenly "tree professionals"

The homeowners are the worst. I saw several people doing really STOOPID stuff. Putting themselves in danger of death. To prove that point, 2 homeowners were killed so far and one killed his 9 yr old daughter when he dropped a tree on her. :(

I think more pros would be a welcome sight. I think pros prevent gouging and provides better service. Heck I got a $100 tip on a $1500 job. After throwing several large tops from split/f'd trees and bucking up all the wood to manageable pieces, I then went and pulled 6 hangers of various sizes from other trees. Another tree co gave him a high price which I am sure reflected the lack of skill involved. I am sure for them it would have been a 2 day job. For a pro, a good 6 hrs of getting it.....I mean getting it. No lunch breaks, no time to tickle a chain......just blowing and going - if you are going from the back yard to the car, you run ;) Sun up to sun down....no short 8 hr days.

Physically, I am finished. Anymore would just be dangerous at this point.

How did you do that?

The six P's helped ;) Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Lots of hard work, just blowing and going with the new 460 MAG. :D

Landed in an affluent area, started working and then would keep getting shoulder tapped to go check out more trees. Never had to ask for work. ;)

Best margins are in thowing difficult trees. The kind of fellings that would take a person with a lot of experience or a lot of bad judgement to even attempt. This is where the 460, falteimer, harrison rockets, rope, and pulleys to z rig made the most money.

I threw my 1st double in 3 years yesterday :\: 8)

Where s most of the damage houston or austin?media shows galvaston all the time.be safe!

When my bro & I started a biz our first big break was doing storm damage in 2000. I learned a tremendous amount.
First thing was people were shocked and scared. That quickly turned to anger. Once they settle down a little, they start prioritising.
Put yourself in their shoes. Freezer full of rotting food, still gotta get to work, asshole insurance agents, etc....
Work orders marked "Immediate Hazard" do not have to wait on a claims adjuster.
Estimates need careful wording / itemizing :
Remove storm damaged oak lead from shed $780
Remove and dispose of all related debris $470
Insurance is very quick to tell people that they only cover up to $500 in storm damage, just before reminding you that your deductable is $750.
:X
Be safe.... and smart.

I went back again for a day. I still left with some benjamins but it was picked over.

Wood ticks have worked the areas with money and tree guys have poured in from Florida. People are still without power, getting tired and not so concerned about trees anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know where the work is, and I ain't telling.

local tree guy here got killed yesterday in front of his 3 year old kid, in his own yard.

dave, deep in SE Texas

I was kidding. the work is spread all over the rural areas, as implied by my statement "deep in SE Texas". we are staying in Beaumont.

and what matters is a good man came home from LA helping others and got killed. and his kid ran in the house and said "mommy, a tree fell on daddy and he's dead"!
The same day I took a solid shot to the head from a small hanger, and I have 4 kids at home dependent on me.
I will post pics tomorrow, when my laptop is online.
I have seen some wild stuff.

Robert, call me again, your # did not register.

A small tree problem

Attachments

• IKE 012.jpg
    IKE 012.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 14
  • IKE 013.jpg
    IKE 013.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 14
our salesman brian is a master at getting us paid. we get at least $25.00 apiece grinding these stumps.
;)

Attachments

• IKE 002.jpg
    IKE 002.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 15
a leaky roof, I think.

Attachments

• IKE 007.jpg
    IKE 007.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 14
I know where the work is, and I ain't telling.

dave, deep in SE Texas

ha! I didn't mean to say there was no tree work left. I just meant that the trees+million dollar home jobs are already taken.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the days of a climber making $1500-$2000 a day are over too. Glad I hit it when I did, right after Ike passed. ;)

There is always lots of tree work anywhere you go. Finding trees + money, now that is the trick ;)

dead on there. The insurance companies are moving real slow, so plenty of work eventually.:? all middle class though, and they usually get screwed by the insurance companies.

Attachments

• IKE 001.jpg
    IKE 001.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 14
Insurance companies need to do their part. The ones that won't let them get the tree off their house until an adjuster comes need to be shot.

Flip side is a lot of tree co's bank on the fact their is no insurance limit on treework and tend to bill hard.

Back