texas tree work

• Thread starter Treeslayer
  • Start date
  • Replies 106
  • Views 10K
Heck yeah I did. I ran my own show for a few years but made the most money when I was a contract hitman working out of the back of a VW. Odd huh? Do what you are good at, where the margins are the widest and leave the other stuff, especially the labor intensive stuff to someone else. ;)

Attachments

• 81 Polo.JPG
    81 Polo.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 126
Heck yeah I did. I ran my own show for a few years but made the most money when I was a contract hitman working out of the back of a VW. Odd huh? Do what you are good at, where the margins are the widest and leave the other stuff, especially the labor intensive stuff to someone else. ;)

Roger that!

In a heart to heart with my wife recently, I lamented about the good 'ol days when we were barely making it and I was going to school and stacking brush in my dodge dakota...

She convinced me to keep my day job. Good thing one of us is smart:)

Nice you could make some extra loot with your skillz. Hurricane season is upon us in the NE....big nor easter coming this weekend:D

My in-laws place in La Porte (southeast of Houston) was so devastated I didnt get to make a dollar this time around. Was there for 3 days.

Everybody I know has pulled out as of today, good money is long gone. The tree damage was so bad that there was visibly LOTS more sunlight in the neighborhood my inlaws are in after the cleanup. Kinda spooky - forest to desert type stuff.

There is still good money there running a crew with skid loaders, dump trailers, etc doing clean up.

It was my first storm to chase. I have worked storm damage, but just tornados, ice storms, and snow storms. I know now with hurricanes, have your boots on the ground when the wind stops. If you can't go for a few days, don't bother. Oh, and make sure you have a real saw. The 460 Mag made all the difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
our next project.

Attachments

• Photo-0016-1.jpg
    Photo-0016-1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 94
  • Photo-0017.jpg
    Photo-0017.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 91
Man, I hate pines. I'm always surprised that they don't fall on houses more often. Down in Houston, they'll clear a spot for a house and leave all the pines around - minus the windbreak it had when the forest was there. When a pine is 60 feet tall it has a lot of targets available.

When I was getting started there was a guy in town who had a nice vermeer 752, that cat would give stumps for 5 bucks a pop. No kidding. He stopped by a jobsite and I had 7 pine stumps to get out, 35 bucks. Guess he needed beer money. He ground for me for a year and then just vanished.

I just heard another tree company from the Key's is in TX. I just hope our phone starts ringing or we might head there also.

the tree has a 17' circumference.

we have a 60 ton crane, starting tuesday, and have sold more crane work.

that stump is flying to the road. FEMA's problem then.:O

Attachments

• IKE 014.jpg
    IKE 014.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 3
and approx. $50 ton from the mill, If I haul the logs. 30' of sellable log.

Attachments

• IKE 013.jpg
    IKE 013.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 3
we need another climber for about a week, anybody near beaumont TX want some work, please call asap.

dave
757 784 4574

we lifted the big pine today, and made it on TV here.

Attachments

• IKE 024.jpg
    IKE 024.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 5
whats funny is all they showed on TV is the log pick, while I dismembered a huge loblolly with a bunch of BIG fractured hangers over the house.:what:

Attachments

• IKE 026.jpg
    IKE 026.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 5
we had to put 45,000 lbs pull on the stump, and it lifted, and weighed 10,000.

Attachments

• IKE 027.jpg
    IKE 027.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 5
Back