Targeted Vertical Speedline

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Moving some big sugar maple logs, FAST

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HMkbOD40CTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(I felt like this got lost in the other thread, and continuing to post different topics in that thread didnt make sense, so I broke this out on its own and will continue to do so as new content comes out. I apologize to those that see it twice as a result of the crosspost, also it plays into the SEO thing we were talking about, a beginner mistake on my part!)

Cool post, but fwiw I honestly couldn't see/don't fully understand what the method is, maybe a diagram would help (me)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure, no problem. It is essentially a speedline (or zip line) but instead of moving brush or logs laterally, a taught rope is set between the cut and a 'target' on the ground. This directs the falling log into a specific target zone and contains any 'post impact' movement. There are a lot of different reasons that you would use a technique like this, but it really shines when you want to eliminate the impact to a climber from negative blocking or reduce the strain on a possibly compromised stem.

aimingaVSL.jpg

** In the video example a munter was not used, the VSL was redirected through a biner at the butterfly knot and then to a portawrap. A munter, figure 8 or other holding method all work but you need to choose wisely based on the size of the rigged loads. This is an old diagram. **

I have used a similar set up when blocking down a spruce in tight quarters, just hooked the bottom to the bottom of the tree. Stops those unwanted bounces and rolls. Also works for restraining those springy branches that you want to just drop to the ground in that tight space.

I have used a prussic loop in place of the alpine butterfly so that the targeted landing can be moved if necessary.
Easier than moving the whole line with the alpine in it.

Sure, no problem. It is essentially a speedline (or zip line) but instead of moving brush or logs laterally, a taught rope is set between the cut and a 'target' on the ground. This directs the falling log into a specific target zone and contains any 'post impact' movement. There are a lot of different reasons that you would use a technique like this, but it really shines when you want to eliminate the impact to a climber from negative blocking or reduce the strain on a possibly compromised stem.

View attachment 47733

** In the video example a munter was not used, the VSL was redirected through a biner at the butterfly knot and then to a portawrap. A munter, figure 8 or other holding method all work but you need to choose wisely based on the size of the rigged loads. This is an old diagram. **

Thanks much for the diagram. Um, so does the falling log smash into the red rope pictured ("rope with alpine butterfly")? And Why do you need a Munter, for easy release/untying of the system once the log is on the ground? Why not just use only the green VSL rope?

Yes it smashes into the red rope, generally we wont use our climbing lines for that one :). In truth we will use a crap rope, or a scrap for that, but it has never cut it or anything.

A munter or some way to hold the tension on the VSL is required to guide the load down. If the VSL isnt tensioned the piece can do whatever it wants. It doesnt have to be 'tight' but it has to be fixed. In the video we ran the VSL line through the carabiner on the butterfly knot as a redirect, then over to a porty on a nearby tree. We originally used a prusik and pulley to tighten it but the heavy shock was making the prusik to hard to break. Had we not used some sort of friction brake the logs would have done whatever they wanted when they hit the ground. THere is no way a person could have 'held' the line firmly enough with their hands.

When working logs you leave the VSL locked off, working brush you may want to 'run' it once one side of the piece hits the ground, so that it ends up laying down not standing up. Again, a figure 8, munter, porty etc all work depending on the size of the rigged loads. The nice thing about tensioning it on the ground is the cutter just chokes a running bowline beneath the cut and attaches the tether, everything else is ground support until its time to push the log off.

Interesting! I've never used it but now that I'm aware of the technique maybe I will find the right application. Nice job, Nick!!

Yessir. I used another alpine butterfly (or inline bowline?) towards the other anchor tree, and then an all rope MA setup and locked it all off with 3 or 4 half hitches on the bite.

We use pulleys and an AMP rope grab for simple set ups. Makes for an easy way to release slack for the climber and taking slack in. Can also let slack into the system for targeting a run so to speak, rope man sort of lets it run out a tad just before it hits.

Here is a quick clip

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7mZVbc7Erc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have dumped some good cedar mill logs on a VS on a hill. Even got them milled (3 years later). Used a porty butt line to skid down toward the truck.

Back