Tapatalk voice recognition posting

Thanks for that tip. I'll try to use it next time I try to edit. OK, on my Android operating system handheld, when I pressed and held my fingertip on the screen, instead of a magnifying glass, it gave me a pop-up box of options whose heading was "Edit text". If I pressed on "Select word", it did give me a much more easily controlled cursor, which went where I wanted it to more readily.

Tim

Ok I'm hooked, I've got an iPad, how do I start? Using tapatalk is a start I guess, how do I get that?

Hey, Mick! I do not own an iPad. Try to see on your on your on-screen keyboard if there is a microphone icon in place of a letter somewhere. That is what my Samsung keyboard did I did not have to download any special software.

Nope, this is what've got.

Hey, Mick! I'm working off my laptop right now. I did a Bing search on this issue and found this web page that I'm hoping will work for the version of the iOS that you already have. It just involves making a change to settings within the operating system, no software update or software download is required. I'd love to hear back whether or not you are able to navigate to this set of choices within the iPad that you own.

I'll try to embed a link here, but if it doesn't work directly as a link, maybe you can copy and paste it into a search engine and get to the web page in that manner.

http://www.imore.com/turn-sirilike-dictation-ipad

Tim

Ok, couldn't resist a go, I tried to follow the instructions, but that dictation thing doesn't come up. Ps on iOS 8.1.2

One thing people should know about all of these voice recognition programs is that your own device is not what powers them. They rely on servers that are owned and operated by the software companies, I think because it takes that much power to do the job adequately.

The net result is that everything that you type is not held only on your device, it is processed elsewhere, which has privacy implications. It's kind of like the Sony e-mail hack. Don't type anything you do not wish to share with the world, worse case scenario. I'm sure the companies that provide the service must make assertions about how the information will be used, and that you can trust them and everything, but the bottom line is that you do not have a lock on the data that keeps it private only to you. Just sayin'.

Ok, couldn't resist a go, I tried to follow the instructions, but that dictation thing doesn't come up. Ps on iOS 8.1.2

It may be that since the article is two years old the software has changed. I do know, however, that an active internet connection is required for any of these voice recognition software programs to work. I'd make sure that your iPad is connected to the internet and then try to navigate to those settings again.

If it is still a non-starter, there is a free software download available for the iPad from the company that makes "Dragon Naturally Speaking".

Here's a link to the software download for iPad.

http://download.cnet.com/Dragon-Dictation/3000-2064_4-75000022.html

Hopefully one of those two proposed solutions will work.

Tim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In time, each post will be a video clip of someone saying something, ime.

Stig, people may not be able to spell, but it will be far better then the texting gibberish, like the above 'ime' (in my experience/ estimation), that some people think forms sentences. k? ya kno?

Hey, Mick ! Have you tried to acquire the download for Dragon Dictation ? They seem to imply that it might be difficult to obtain in Europe. Not sure.

I don't know why I care so much. I guess I would just like to see you be able to experience it.

Tim

I use Dragon on my iPhone...excellent results with Dragon. You have to speak clearly with good articulation.

Hi Tim,
I'll have a crack at it tomorrow I've finished work now and the client has given me a bottle of Bordeaux as a tip (plus a nice cheque of course!) so you won't get a lot of sense out of me later.

Agreed. My wife is not so sure why it amuses me, but I love it.

Tim, that's one of the things I like about you. You care. Pretty consistant theme here.

Ok I've done all the settings, keyboard stuff no joy, then I downloaded Dragon Dictation which is great but cannot see how I can put that on my keyboard.
Anyway I give up.

Okay, so I figured out if I copy and paste and then put onto the box thing that works so will see how that goes so the search is over I have succeeded I am over the moon with this.

That is what I do with Dragon on my iphone...dictate, copy and paste into my texting program. I don't usually do TreeHOuse stuff from iphone but can.

I have iphone 4...newer ones might be simpler to use dictation. If you say "period" or "question mark" at the proper point it will insert those punctuation marks into the text. You're getting there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
new paragraph, exclamation mark.

You can spell out difficult words, or words of commands "c-o-m-m-a"

I used to go to my desktop to type at a keyboard. Some things are still more difficult/ impossible with Tapatalk, like videos, IIRC.

I can post things without using Tapatalk just using my android phone although the voice recognition cuz sometimes coffee or it just puts in words that it wants like cuz and coffeewhich should have read sometimes potty sad it not potty OMG technology is lackingspace but in due time it'll catch up I really need my internet connection

Back