Survival gear.

sawinredneck

Treehouser
Before I went completely off the deep end, I started putting together a BOB/emergency bag. (BOB= Bail out bag) I'm sure I've touched on this before but can't find a thread, and if I missed it I am sorry.
Basically the weather this spring spooked me bad. We have enough food and water to survive three days in the storm shelter. But I wanted more.
I may have gone to far, as my wife now referrers to it as my "Armageddon bag":lol:
A pistol, three mags, 100 rds of ammo, water purification tablets, fire starters, matches, a change of clothes, rain jacket, GMRS radio's, ham radio/communications receiver, flashlight (all set up for AA batteries) and a 50 pack of AA batteries. I also have a pocket knife, whistle and several other things crammed into it, including a small first aid kit.

So I was thinking, as take it when I cut wood as well, maybe a space/emergency blanket might be a good addition? Then I find out they aren't all that great? Then I happened across this http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com...46&catname=Shelter&prodname=SOL Thermal Bivvy and liked it.

Granted, I can't and don't get out like I used to, but how prepared are you before you become over prepared?
What do some of you carry or think is necessary if a hurricane, tornado or other natural disaster hits?
Do you have any good links or stores that have gear worth buying?
Hell, am I just going deeper off the deep end?

I use thermal blankets when I am backpacking. They do the trick. I also used them by themselves when spiked out on the fire line and I can tell you from experience that they are better than nothing.

I have decided these go in my BOB. I have them in the truck in baggies for when we have to hike in and burn slash and the propane tank is just not practical. Lightweight and will help start a fire even when the weather does not quite co-operate.

The 48 blocks break down into about 1" cubes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That makes me feel better Pete, thanks!

I love those things Stephan, I use them at home to start fires in the fireplace, they even get wet wood going! Good stuff there!

I've seen those Willie, they are nice, but I have this on my keyring: http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=79 , this in my pocket: http://www.hdslights.com/?id=ClickyHighCri , another EO1 in the storm shelter as well as one of these: http://lumapower.com/79.html in a Pelican case with a multitude of lithium batteries. Then in the BOB, I have this: http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=72
The Pak lights are nice, but 9v batteries are expensive, and there are better options out there IMO.

Light weight, compact and long hours trumps the other stuff imo. Sure there are better lights and brighter lights but a 10 year battery that small is hard to beat for semi long term

Are you in the part of Kansas that gets hit by Tornadoes? Is a pistol and 100 rds essential to surviving a tornado? I would think if weight was an issue that water and a first aid kit would be of greater use.
If your expecting a zombie holocaust, I'd pack all your guns and ammo, but a natural disaster may need you to help others as well as your own with the normal fall out of such things like health issues.
What scenarios are you expecting?

Damn nice wind up flashlight, Steve.

Is a pistol and 100 rds essential to surviving a tornado?

No, it's for blowing away any looters/thieves/pikies that may surface in the aftermath. Firearms have very little effects on tornados.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worse. It's easy as hell to NOT use your weapon, but if you don't have one and need it, then you're SOL.

Are you in the part of Kansas that gets hit by Tornadoes? Is a pistol and 100 rds essential to surviving a tornado? I would think if weight was an issue that water and a first aid kit would be of greater use.
If your expecting a zombie holocaust, I'd pack all your guns and ammo, but a natural disaster may need you to help others as well as your own with the normal fall out of such things like health issues.

Jason, being from England myself, I wasnt brought up in the firearms culture either. However since I started trying to get prepared for possible tough times ahead I first bought a hunting rifle. The one thing that I have realized is that your average American has A LOT OF WEAPONS. If Im in the woods and somebody comes at me with a stick I will pick up a stick to protect myself. If they have a gun and you dont you will lose. I just got a 9mm pistol, FWIW if the sh#t hits the fan Im staying home, anybody that attacks my home beware.

More food. Less batteries and electronics. The Thermal Bivy is useful......so is a "contractor trash bag".

In order of importance, the essentials to survival are
1. Water
2. Food
3. Shelter

It seems to me that the most likely scenarios you are trying to plan for are weather related. If weight is an issue, then I'd skip the guns & ammo and carry more essentials.

This is a dual purpose bag, it goes with me when I go to cut wood, 100 miles from home, 20 miles from the closest town. Because of the drug culture that has moved into that area I don't go out there unarmed, it's so bad out there if they can't steal it, they break it just so you can't have it! I also take 2 gallons of water with me when I go plus I have ponds close by and the purification tablets. Plenty of small game around for food if needed, but my main concern out there would be surviving until an ambulance can find me and defending myself from any type of predator if I were to be wounded.
We have three days supply of water and food stores in the storm shelter already, and it is on the fire departments locate list. But Butch hit this one on the head, looters can be common after a disaster and I'd like to keep what ever I have left!

Jason, being from England myself, I wasnt brought up in the firearms culture either. However since I started trying to get prepared for possible tough times ahead I first bought a hunting rifle. The one thing that I have realized is that your average American has A LOT OF WEAPONS. If Im in the woods and somebody comes at me with a stick I will pick up a stick to protect myself. If they have a gun and you dont you will lose. I just got a 9mm pistol, FWIW if the sh#t hits the fan Im staying home, anybody that attacks my home beware.

Yep.

I don't have a BOB.

Hell, I'm Danish.
I'll just sit down and wait for the government to come and bail me out.

Thought you knew me by now, Andy.

It was meant as a comment on how most of my fellow Danes would react to a disaster of apocalyptic dimensions.

Should have put a smiley in, I s'pose:D

maybe I missed mention of this, but I think it's pretty important.....

Attachments

• tp.jpg
    tp.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 82
Back