Summer Climbing and Rigging Workshop in Minot, ND

Underwor

Treehouser
On June 12-13, the North Dakota Urban and Community Forestry Assn. (NDUCFA) will sponsor a workshop featuring Nick Bonner of TreeStuff.Com fame. We will be concentrating on Climbing and Rigging Gear with demonstrations from Nick and other attendees. It will be a great chance to see and try some of the new gear on the market.
It will also be a great opportunity to interact with other professionals in the region, US and Canada. This is the most important part of such workshops developing contacts to help you learn how others work and deciding which of these ideas will make you work easier, safer, efficient and more profitable.

Nick is passing through on this way to the Midwestern TCC in St. Louis. He will have a truck load of goodies with him, so bring the checkbook or credit card.

The following is a press release on the subject and I have attached a registration form.

Spring Tree Workers’ Workshop and Day of Service
The Minot Park District Forestry Department will be hosting a North Dakota Urban and Community Forestry Association spring workshop on June 12-13, 2014. The goal of the workshop is to introduce some of the newest equipment for climbing and rigging to area tree care providers. It is also a time for the group to network with their peers and share ideas and techniques to make work safer, easier and more efficient.
The Thursday morning session will feature Nick Bonner an associate of TreeStuff.com Arborist Supplies. He along with volunteers from the group, will demonstrate, some of the newest gear on the market for SRT and Ddrt access and work positioning, as well as rigging in pruning and removal situations. Check-in and registration will begin at 8 am, the program will begin at 9 am. Lunch will be provided on site.
The afternoon sessions will feature a hands-on approach to demonstration and sharing of ideas. There will be multiple trees available for these activities. There will be a little something for everyone, from beginner to a long time forester. Be sure to bring your PPE and gear to get in on the action.
There will be demonstrations of equipment including stump grinders, chippers, aerial lifts and other equipment from Bobcat, John Deere, Vermeer, and other suppliers from the region.
A Day of Service
On Friday morning at 8am, the group will once again meet at Oak Park for a day of service. There is a large area that needs to be addressed following the flood of 2011. This day of service will be another great opportunity to learn techniques and network with your peers, all while giving back to the community. Lunch will once again be provided on site.
Pre registration form is available through www.NDUCFA.org website.
Camping will be available at the North Dakota State Fair Grounds.
Call Bob Underwood at 701-871-1041 for more information on events or camping.

What a great opportunity to learn and up-date your climbing gear!!

Oh, and meet Bonner!!

...Camping will be available at the North Dakota State Fair Grounds.
Call Bob Underwood at 701-871-1041 for more information on events or camping.

Hey, Bob. Are the fairgrounds the best game in town for camping? Do we need reservations?

David

Bob,

I sent in my application this morning. I'll finally be able to meet you after all this time. I look forward to the experience. Thank you for notifying me about this opportunity.

Joel

I will likely have a checked bag full of goodies. I may sell the things I bring to show if people want to buy them but I wont have 'stock' to sell! Excited to be there though!

Yesterday I used some of my new climbing and rigging gear that I received from TreeStuff.com to help the groundsman at the local cemetery. Memorial Day is just around the corner and he wanted the place to look good for the ceremonies that will be taking place there.

At some point over the past month, the operator of the backhoe decided to drive through the area before unloading his machine from the trailer and the backhoe boom struck several low-hanging branches on the way through the place. The groundsman was impressed with the gear I brought with me. Trimming up those few trees gained me three new jobs that will keep me busy for the next few days.

I think he was most impressed with the new Samson Vortex Hot climbing rope. Truth be told......I like it a whole lot myself.

Nick, I'll be digging through that bag of goodies when you get here. I know of a few things that I'd like to have for a job that's coming up after the gardens are harvested and the first frost hits us. If you don't have all of it along with you, I'll have time to get the order placed before I'll need it. It will be great to get a chance to meet you, as well any of the other members of this fine group who decide to make the trip.

Joel

Sylvia and I had a good time in Minot ND with Bob and Nancy Underwood. There was a small but very interested group for the climbing workshop and I believe we were able to answer many questions and introduce new concepts.

However, the highlight for me was meeting the infamous Mr. Nick Bonner. We have exchanged many e-mails and talked on the phone often but that is not the same as face-to-face, as you all know. Watching Nick in a tree I was reminded of an extremely tall, and loud, tailless spider monkey. :lol: Nick is actually a very good climber and moves with great ease.

This short clip doesn't show much but it is what it is.

David

http://www.kmot.com/story/25763580/forestry-department-hosts-spring-workshop

Back