Stump grinding tips/ tricks/ tools.

Hey Chris.

The sub I use would have wanted 400/piece.....probably an hour a piece with his dosko. It's not hourly more like like item...His thinking is Pay up or Grind it yourself...So, You see why I don't mind grinding and picking and looking for a bigger machine. San Fran is friendly but Competitive and Cut throat. Lots of work if you can get it.

Really just for when you have the space. Big machine kicks big debris....windows and people everywhere. I think a self propelled sharp machine is key.....Something on the order of a 252 or something stronger a bit.....the bonus is if you hit a rock....you can rotate the tooth instead of changing the tooth out like the AM.

Always something to save for.

Deva, as a part of your planning for stump grinder purchases I think you should also ask yourself this. When you have more treework pruning and or removals than you can do, what will be your level of interest in stump grinding?

I expect you will be swamped with work in the not too distant future and without the answer to that question it might be easy to buy more machine than you will one day care to focus your efforts around.

I work a different market/situation admittedly. But, I don't enjoy grinding that much and just rent a grind 3 or 4 days per year.

Merle, for me stump grinding is the cherry on the cake, easy if a bit boring, super lucrative and an easy sell to lots of clients.

Yah yah, unless you're remote. You're still there eating dust staring at the ground.

The only satisfaction I got from it was the ability to completely make a tree disappear. It appealed to my sense of complete obliteration.

Most tree guys around here rent or sub out, and want to do the entire grind, haul away grindings and topsoil fill. Most have to wait for schedules to get a grinding done, they try to get 4 or 5 in an area to make it worth their time. I like the 15 minute, leave a mess and HO happier than a pig in slop not tripping over the stump anymore jobs, a good pay for me, usually leads to another stump or tree job, and I get to check up on my parents and get some errands run. Works good for me.

A cheap ass.

Merle. You raise a valid point.

I agree with wanting the ability to make it all go away.....lining up with a sub is a PITA for me....people usually won't wait here in this dial it done community I live in.....my personal interest will probably wane though my someday employee will love it.....

Great advise Merle. I love and appreciate "look before I leap" attitude.

A small strong sharp machine I can stow in the garage or the one I rent theoretically for $500/month.....going to take a minute to save up for it too.

:)

You guys are great.

I have clients who are happy to have the mulch, it appeals to their green side.

With pine stumps I mention that it might be a bit acid so good for azaleas and rhododendrons.

With other stumps like oak I say it's the right PH for their normal beds.

They pay more for removal of grindings, it's up to them. I just make them aware of its uses.

In my area people are broke/cheap. They are usually over the moon that it's 2inches below grade and all they have to do is smoke a doobie and do a little raking.

"A stump grinder is a machine hell-bent on its own destruction." That's a quote from my last boss, Mitch White, proprietor of the Egger Beaver Tree Service in Ft. Bragg.

I have witnessed these machines grabbing chokers and old logging cable out of the ground, and beating themselves to death. In the meanwhile the operator, and anyone else standing around, is running for their lives!

Oh, stump grinders!

Makes me think of my days on Enterprise messcooking . I was the pigman and operated the industrial garbage disposal, which devoured garbage cans of food waste. Every now and then a utensil would work its way into the mix... EVERYBODY hit the deck!!!

Back