Stump grinding tips/ tricks/ tools.

Deva, as a part of your planning for stump grinder purchases I think you should also ask yourself this. When you have more treework pruning and or removals than you can do, what will be your level of interest in stump grinding?

This is is exactly what happened to me. I don't chase stump work because it interferes with the flow of my regular work. I'm not currently set up to have others operate the grinder for me so any stump stump job that pops up essentially prevents me from putting on a full day that day. It doesn't have to be this way permanently but that's the current set up. I'm with Justin on the obliteration appeal factor but it gets a bit old when you have a mouth full of dirt...

I have witnessed these machines grabbing chokers and old logging cable out of the ground, and beating themselves to death. In the meanwhile the operator, and anyone else standing around, is running for their lives!
The new generation has a sensor that automatically shuts down the motor if no one is stanbding in front of the control panel. I didn't like the feature at first,. but do think it is safer after using it a while..

Have you ever used one???? don;t let the numbers fool you.. the lawns have to e pretty sloppy for it to leave tracks.. This machine bumped mine to the next level..

Attachments

• big stump with black dog.jpg
    big stump with black dog.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 48
That Rayco RG100X at 3,860 lbs versus my Vermeer 252 at 1,050 lbs would kill my stumper grinding business

I'd then have to get into a lawn repair business as a sideline :D

Do you mean A. That if someone else had one of those machines you'd lose all your clients, or B. That the lawn damage would lose you all your work.
If the answer is A. you probably would, if it's B. You're wrong.

Very nice.
I think the only person you're convincing is yourself about the little Vermeer, a bigger grinder would be a godsend for you.
I don't buy this boreal forest stuff, your already tearing the arse out of a section of garden anyway taking the stump out, what's the diff if there are a couple of ruts? If it's really wet put some boards down.
You're making good coin (apparently) why not get something made this century? Tax deductible surely?

Today's grinder. Bad boy.
5c9046c4f111ea9be77d65c80c93409d.jpg

Holy chit Murph, that is a mighty fine machine. You apparently bought it new?

I have an RG 50 which makes me want the rg 100. Rayco grinders have been good to me. Did you look at any other brands?

Have you ever used one???? don;t let the numbers fool you.. the lawns have to e pretty sloppy for it to leave tracks.. This machine bumped mine to the next level..

Yeah that's right mother effin Horse Power is what slays stumps! I agree it has to be pretty wet to leave a mark in a lawn my sc652 has yet to leave a rut, and I work on golf courses and heavily irrigated yards daily year round.

We had a small 25hp grinder for a long time, and I would would rather lick envelopes all day than go back to running that machine. It reminds me of mowing the lawn. High powered self propelled stump grinders are the way to go. The wheeled versions are very turf friendly.

Willard I think you overestimate the skill required to unload and operate a grinder, the wooden head who works for me was as proficient as me within a couple of hours.
It's not exactly piloting a helicopter.

My Kohler command never missed a beat in 13 years (meaning you might have a long wait!)
when I bought my new one the guy said that the three wheelers were still fetching money because of their amazing ability to get into difficult gardens, you can skip, crab and pull them into the craziest places.
The 4 wheelers not so much.
Phone them up, trade it in!

I got about that or more with my old Kohler Magnum, sold everything now except my 3 wheeler. I've had that in places most wouldn't believe, there's some tight spots around here.

I'd love one like Dan's but not much call for one like that, maybe something a bit bigger next year though.

Back