Stihl's locking caps

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 71
  • Views 7K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, but what tree guy doesn't want to make sure the damm oil is full up?

Hate those caps.

I guess I am just not as passionate about this as some of you. I had guys mess up with both styles of caps, resulting in oil running down my pant leg. It happens. Nothing's idiot proof.

One thing I've seen on the old caps is the flat hole in the top would get "stripped" and rounded so that the scrench would no longer open it. (i've never used a saw long enough to have it happen to me...but seen it on the company saws a couple times)

I wonder if that had something to do with it, too.

Deva- I thought I was a genius when I figured out the air bubble trick!

love
nick

One thing I've seen on the old caps is the flat hole in the top would get "stripped" and rounded so that the scrench would no longer open it.

That or a hole would get punched through. I've always thought a metal insert woulda solved these problems.

Or just eliminate the screwdriver slot completely. The new cap design was like a government overengineered solution to a minor issue. Now it's a major PITA but the repair costs have multiplied, since the new caps cost $15 each.

I must be somewhat lucky, Never had a problem with the caps, and I love 'em. No more clowns tightening my damn caps with a sawtool.:evil:

screw this

A one time hater myself of the new caps i wondered why they never just made the flip-up portion allow the screwing motion to tighten threads, not an o-ring.

But maybe its the new ethanol in the saw fumes, because I kind of like them now.

That's a huge madrone slab. Its in really good shape too. What will it get used for?

I gotta say that I NEVER had to wear oily pants/chaps around until these new "improved" caps came about. My son has a real problem with them sometimes. The only reason I don't beat him is he runs the ropes really well and I don't want him to take revenge on me while I'm up there.

While I don't use them near a fraction of what you all do, when I have....I loved them. I HATE having to 'strong arm' caps open.

You forget how annoying it is on the old style when you stick the screwdriver in the center and punch a small hole or miss on the ribbed edges and stab yourself in the hand.. The new style does suck very much as well... but I like them a little better .

As usual, I am the odd man out.
Must be a european thing or something. I really find the new caps to be an improvement.
When they first came out, I didn't believe they would hold up on a saw used for logging, but they proved me wrong.
I have ruined one by getting it on the hot muffler on a catalysator mounted saw ( those get seriously HOT!!)
That was before I founf out about the little slot to put the string on the cap in, to keep it off the muffler.

The only Stihl I own with the locking caps is the MS 200 T.They can be a pain in the back sides at times .

Some of my older models have been over tightened with a scrench or some thing because they are wallered out . Funny ,I must be strong as a bull because they never leak when I just hand tighten them .Must have been some wimpy saw operators who owned them before me or something .:lol:

I never used a scrench on a oil/gas cap unless some fool has tightened it on before me with one. My 660 has the old style caps, never a problem on or off by hand.

I never used a scrench on a oil/gas cap unless some fool has tightened it on before me with one. My 660 has the old style caps, never a problem on or off by hand.

I take em off with bar wrench and put them on by hand

Ahhh..the inevitable oil cap thread!

My left boot is now waterproof, and now I know what gas on skin feels like!

To make sure the oil cap goes on properly, make sure its not out of whack, like the other fella said...then use the corner of that little protective ridge molded just in front of the oil hole as a sight and line up the black/white divide on the cap with it, and the cap should drop right in to the proper spot with a little clockwise turn...does that make sense?

My gas cap on the 200t has started misbehaving lately too.

Back