Stihl 500i

They have a spring seal for the cap, so they do ok, but I'm sure they would leak some. I've never had that problem, and they are required on construction sites, being a safety can and everything.

Metal gas containers create issues in itself. I prefer the plastic.
And as I use a more stabil fuel, store it out of sunlight, I have no worries...

IME, they don't tip over easily.

You know...employees.

Even good ones have bad days, like yesterday, when I came back from selling work down the road to see heavy rounds manually piled (lifted for zero benefit) against/ around the the yet-to-be-cut-stumps, still at felling height with hinge whiskers.

Evidently, there was a Sunday birthday party.

I have an emotional attachment to metal cans, but plastic has served me better aside from the various terribad epa attachments. I keep them out of sunlight, and the ones in back of my truck are bagged.

Plastic orange Husqvarna combi-can...with the green no spill spout. Tough as, and the nospill spout really works.

I like them too, Bermy, especially the older with black pipes. The plastic somehow was better in black. I have the 1-3 generation of the orange. I have red and yellow too.
These are made 5km from my house! You know you can get parts for the pipe if its missing something or brake? Newer pipe with the o-ring sealed valve in pipe is not as good as the earlier.

Ha, good to know Magnus thanks! I have from time to time just wanted to buy a new spout (pipe)
For some reason they have started selling the two parts separately here in Tasmania at the hardware store...so I got a new fuel can side with a new no spill spout, gave the old one to the hubby for other stuff

The ones I've seen always had a built-in cap to seal it off. But in any event, you could always use that bit of fuel to pour on the gas and oil cap, before you unscrew them. I clean mine up, always - with every refueling

Ha, good to know Magnus thanks! I have from time to time just wanted to buy a new spout (pipe)
For some reason they have started selling the two parts separately here in Tasmania at the hardware store...so I got a new fuel can side with a new no spill spout, gave the old one to the hubby for other stuff
Another fun fact is that they were up to a couple years ago assembled in prison here.

Here you can get the parts, cans separate, pipes separate and parts for pipe. Spring, rivet or vale etc
Husqvarna want to sell their new can so they got these off the shelvs too boost sale of the newer nobody like.

Black plastic holds up better to uv light. Downside is it gets hot.
How is that? Its same plastic just different pigment in it. I watched them make it and asked same thing. Response was I probably just thought so, it was no different.
But the black do last longer and has none of the issues the green has. Same plastic it is, but there must be something with pigment that affect something...

That I don't know. I've read something to that effect in the past, and it's been my experience with field equipment over the years.

edit:
Some further thoughts... I'm a little embarrassed that I don't know fundsmental ways in which the world works, but I think the color issue has something to do with how reflective the object is. All the colors are there all the time, but are only revealed when an object reflects a specific color. If it reflects all the colors it looks white, and none of colors it looks black. The other colors are somewhere in between. I'm not exactly sure how that relates to the durability of plastic, but that would be an avenue of research.

Last edited:
The plastic that is to be black is colored with sot. It is mixed in when plastic is melted, before its in mold and pressurized. That might change something to something...
The plastic that was to be green is colored same way with some green stuff... Not sure what that was from.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bermy @Magnus you guys talking about the husky combi? I went with one for my carry all into the woods. That way I only have to carry one thing in beside saw.

I just use 5gal and 2.5gal plastic ones to store in the barn. Then use them to pour into the carryall. Never any issues.

hcombix.jpg

Hell's bells, girl :)...my "older one" has no flow control at all. Flat plastic plates that screw down under the nozzles to seal. That beastie has to be near to if not over 40 years old now. I suppose that means it's "really, really older"!

Its this one:
husqvarnakombidunkorange.jpg 611001.jpg kombidunk_jonsered.jpg

If you run clearingsaw you remove the oiltank and add a holder for the discs.
There is other accessories for them too as sadlebags etc..

The combi can is enough for a day if its not bigger saws.
There is adapters from Aspen 5l can to this green filler as well.

I have a plastic 1qt bottle like that Mudpro. Got it years ago for a camp stove, and it's somewhat of a collectors item now. For bar oil I have a ~1qt metal drinking bottle I got from the thrift shop. I used to use a gear oil bottle, but I repourposed that for my mill.

They are Husqvarna combi-can with the no spill spout.
@Magnus...what accessories are there? I've not heard of that before.
Yup Burnham... Yer stuff will be the really old stuff LOL :lol:

Plastic colored ...
Usually, they use the plastic in the form of raw color pellets. Then they add the "masters", which are other pellets of the same plastic (more or less) but with an high concentration of dye or pigments, following the recipe to get the right color. They mix that in a tank and pour the pellet's blend in the molding machine.
For big volumes, the plastic maker can do that for you, so you don't have to worry about the mixing and be sure to get the good and homogeneous color.

There are pigments which are a solid finely divided, like dust, often minerals or metals. The other form is the dyes, which are chemical products with a liquid-like behaviour in the plastic (when melted). The first ones are about completely opaque, the last ones are more translucent or even transparent.
The light is the murderer of plastics, overall the polyethylene family (others are less sensitive). The light breaks the bonds in the giant molecules, making them smaller and smaller, thus rending the plastic brittle, or even actually breaking the part in small bits.
If you can stop the light soon enough in the wall, you keep a fair amount of good plastic with all its properties. With light/translucent colors, the sun light is reflected/transmitted (at least partially) inside the plastic, wrecking deeply the molecules. The color itself can be destroyed, like often the red for example. With very dark/black pigments, most of the light is absorbed in the first layer, converted into heat and doesn't have a chance to penetrate. The plastic molecules are still destroyed at the surface, but under the grits of pigment, they stay almost untouched. So, with enough concentration of pigments and not too much mechanical wear on the surface, the plastic can stand a long time in the light.

Back