Stihl 500i

The plastic was liquid and transparent. It was IBC containers and pigment was powder I think added separately in molding machine.
Not sure if they still do it this way, but I think so as there is a bunch of IBC containers around factory.
They had other machines making other products from pellet. Not sure what that was, looked like covers.

...ahhh...I'm not sure anymore we seem to have perpetrated a classic derail...:/:

That Quote is laughable on so many levels. That guy was never an owner of anything. Or just too damn lazy to do anything on their own. Being a small business owner sucks at times because you have people who work for you that don't GAF about anything. Ruts in the yard because they don't GAF, tore up gear because they don't GAF, taxes more taxes, insurance: on gear, equipment, and people. "Oh BTW we pay net 60" says the customer, employees still need to get paid while you are juggling a business line of credit. IMO that quote is laughable. That guy should be happy he doesn't have to deal with any of that crap. Just show up do the work and collect a check and know nothing of running a business.

Last edited:
He’s not wrong imho ... guess it all depends on your perspective ... been on both sides of the coin

That quote is telling me that I am going to blame other people for my own misery. If you aren't happy with your station in life then do something about it and stop blaming other people.
I have been on both sides and just collecting a check is easier but not as gratifying.

I kind of like just collecting a check. I work for a very small company, have seen the hardships, and wouldn't want to do it for myself. Working for myself, I wouldn't want to go beyond under the table, side money kind stuff. As soon as it turns "official", especially with a few employees, it gets exponentially more difficult.

That's a quote from someone who is staying up too late, so gets up at the last possibly time to rush through the morning. Personal choice.

Anybody can open a tree biz, or recycling plant, or hospital. All they have to do is all the work.

It's a quote from an alcoholic dirty old man, who lived a tough life in pursuit of his writing career. If you've never worked jobs like that you are lucky. I also disagree that we have that much social/ financial mobility, we have some, but in reality the American dream is largely an illusion. A small business is obtainable, but a hospital or large industrial plant is wholly out of the question for most people.

It certainly is unobtainable for the average person. They certainly won't start there, not get there from 9-5, and won't get it by 35 y.o..

In high school, summer after my freshman year, I packaged lots of Brach's caramels and popsicle sticks in plastic bags, then put them into a box. Another person weighed and added or subtracted caramels, and put them in a box. The crimper operator took them out of a box, and heat-crimped the end, and put them in a conveyor belt. Someone else boxed, taped, and palletized them. Lame, "factory-ish" job. Didn't stay long. Moving forward with verifiable employment.

If it's bad, get on the internet and learn new skills. Easier and cheaper than ever to learn new skills.

I had an office temp job once, 40/ week, counting out insurance forms to resupply agents. 943 copies meant counting 943 copies. I didn't stay there long, before moving on up, but did what I had to do to put money in my pocket. Moving forward...

My first hour of my first day in Olympia, I picked up dog poop and fir cones, then cleaned a roof, and sorted used marine parts throughout the day. That guy's been good for about $3k in tree work since then.

Moving forward.

If you don't want to be rushed through the morning, go to bed earlier.
If you don't want to have a shitty job, do better for yourself.

Life is hard. Be strong.

Ah yes ! The beloved 044 , Hans Peter STIHLs’ baby ... I’d luv to get me paws on a good runner , mod it and run it against me 462c ... “wood” be interesting to see the results !

When buying the 500i, I carefully read the operating instructions and found interesting information - it is recommended to change the spark plug after 100 hours of operation. It is interesting to know the opinion of all 500i owners about this.

Sounds about right. I think 100 hours is longer than most people think. I figure that is every 2 years up to twice per year for the average arborist. I wouldn't change it, though. I would just inspect it, adjust the gap if needed, and clean it.

I can't find it now, but Stihl makes a device to monitor power equipment. I think it's geared towards fleet use to monitor stock. It's small, and looks like a tachometer, and I'm guessing works in a similar way through induction. I wish I could remember what it's called.

Back