Starting a saw in a tree

Actually just yesterday afternoon I did resort to drop starting my 2100 Husky .I had the damned thing flooded :( It was a hand full with a 32" bar but it wasn't all that bad .

Now then on those throttle locks on the Stihls or at least the ones I own do not open it all the way ,only partial .

The noob is watching and has yet to determine if it's right wrong or application specific( I need a patiently waiting for definitive answers while tapping fingers emoticon here)
I do drop start saws but not without giving it a few seconds of thought first,I like decomp's when I do and my MS310 is the biggest I'll can handle doing it.
My rotaor cuffs have had it so lack of safety hurts..
Thottle locks have been around a long time and I can remember drop starting a Homelite #17 35+ years ago while employing the lock.
I was under the impression it was there to use while cutting,c'mon I was 12 and 75-80 lbs. soaking wet.
IMO the main thing is never take the saw/excavator for granted,have the werewithall to know when you're doing something potentially more dangerous than normal.
A scale of 1 to 100 of danger factor would be in order here.My take starting a saw on the ground is at a 10, drop starting after a second of extra consideration 45,doing it when your tired,have alot of brush and limbs around,in a hurry,with unsure footing, and as second nature...
I suggest keeping a tube of Super-Glue in the tool box right next to the tourniquent(SP)

I nearly never drop start. It didn't feel "right" so I never got in the habit of using it.

Left hand on the wrap handle and pull with the right.

I don't see the log start offering 2x the RPM?

Some of the older model Stihls won't start unless the throttle lock is engaged. My 090G is that way. You can pull the starter all day long and it wont burp. but engage the lock and it starts right up.

I don't see the log start offering 2x the RPM?

I'm sure that you could calculate the exact force, but the point is that instead of starting the saw by just pulling (sometimes the saw come toward you a bit when doing this). by dropping the saw, at the same time you are pulling, it is also moving away, giving you more RPM's...........

A scale of 1 to 100 of danger factor would be in order here.My take starting a saw on the ground is at a 10, drop starting after a second of extra consideration 45,doing it when your tired,have alot of brush and limbs around,in a hurry,with unsure footing, and as second nature...
I suggest keeping a tube of Super-Glue in the tool box right next to the tourniquent(SP)

As far as your scale goes. At home I've drop started many a saw in shorts and sandals, without a second thought. Starting a saw by any means should be a 1 on your danger factor.

If Butch doesn't want to read something like I just typed on his forum, feel free to edit it out.8)

No offense is meant here Sothere, but if you're actually worried or stymied about this whole discussion as to how to safely start a saw maybe you should take a training course.

Just like using a saw one handed, drop starting is a calculated risk. That risk goes down if you use a chain brake, etc.

The thing about one handing is that if you accept and do it all of the time out of laziness, you will fail to find efficient ways to 2 hand a saw.

if you one hand long enough, you will get bit. I have been bit and still one hand but it is a deliberately calculated and accepted risk....

As far as your scale goes. At home I've drop started many a saw in shorts and sandals, without a second thought. Starting a saw by any means should be a 1 on your danger factor.

If Butch doesn't want to read something like I just typed on his forum, feel free to edit it out.8)

HuH? :?

Just thought that you might not like blatant safety infractions posted. I'm sure the safety nazis would have lots to say about running a saw in flip flops.:D

Justin, I'm sure there will be at least 3 threads over at TB with lots of teeth gnashing and hand wringing over your blatent safety infractions. :lol: But everybody here figures you're smart enough to be as safe or as dangerous as you want and nobody here is going to mother you over it. We are all adults here and if you want advice, we'll give it. No safety nazis here though.

I wonder how many saw accidents are the result of complacency? I'll admit I don't chap up to make a trim cut when running the mill, but it is a very calculated operation, and not done in a hurry. Out in the woods slicing and dicing tops, in my view, ups the odds of an injury considerably.

It's all good then. I don't look for dangerous situations and I try not to be complacent around saws. But somedays I do just feel like they're an extension of my body.:D

My uncle who works for me is a constant reminder of why not to lose respect for the action end of a saw. He took the worst saw cut I've ever seen or heard about to the face. Countless surgeries later he can almost breath through his nose and is nearly as handsome as ever. I'll add it didn't happen while drop starting a saw though.

One of these days if I ever get a passport and make my way up there, I'd love to spend a few days working with you and your uncle. :)

You'd be welcome to. We do have almost to much fun some days. Usually if the customer is around we'll have them in stitches atleast a few times.:lol:

Back