Stand Up Climbing Systems

Jomo

TreeHouser
This year's project/hobby for me is a stand up climbing system, coupled with a remotely controlled winch/spool attached to the base of a tree, like a typical Hobbs or GRCS, except this is powered by a gas generator. Generator, Hannay powered reel, with a 500 foot 3/4 inch line capacity, all incorporated onto a hand truck. The whole shielded system will look a a small aluminum boat, strapped prow up to the tree.

So setting the pulley up top, I'll hang from the end of the line like a spider, no ropes below me, able to redirect anywhere with additional pullies in broad trees.

But I want to attach to the end of the line using collapsible triangular T bar, 20 inches wide, half inch lines, about four feet long, terminating with rated rings on each side. The T bar lines thread through my upper D's first, lower D's second, then end at the ring, which can't pass through the D's above.

This is where I now can attach to each of those rings, four additional rated nylon straps, two to each ring. These are relatively short straps, each about eight inches long, terminating in swivel snaps, that can be clipped onto each side of my highly modified Wesco High Liners, like so.

I'm not suggesting anyone try any of this in any way shape or form.

Jomo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's my opinion that conventional saddles are somewhat unnatural. Spending 2-3 hours suspended by your lower D's restricts normal blood flow, atleast in my experience. Spending hours on trunks with your upper D's as your only support is even worse. So bad that I carry a very short climbing line specifically to tie onto an upper lateral and rest a few minutes on my lower D's. both get old and uncomfortable after many hours.

This stand up system redirects the forces supporting you to the bottoms of your feet, where it naturally belongs, IMO.

I'm a bit surprised our military hasn't incorporated such a system into their parachutes. Too pricey for them I guess!

Jomo

Pulled up by your boot straps huh?

Buy a Wraptor and be done.

A Wraptor just gets you up there.

I'm building something that raises or lowers me at the touch of a button, with a completely unimpeded work zone all around me, like a spider.

Jomo

So you are concerned about suspension trauma more or less. Interesting. I hope it all works out.
Question/ How do you keep from flipping over?

The lines on each side of the T bar coming down on each side of me thread through my upper D rings first, then through my lower D's where they terminate at rated rings. These are the rings the four lines coming up from my boots can be attached to for stand up mode, or not, at which point your lower and upper D's support you like a traditional saddle, except the lines on each side. You want traditional? Disconnect from the rings. You want to stand up? Connect the four boot lines to the rings, two on each ring,and stand up, takin the force off the lower D's entirely. The force is then shared between the upper D's, the fulcrum point, and the boots, taking the vast majority of the weight.

You can assume the superman flying position very easily, looking down with no fear of tipping, or kick back and stare at the clouds like you're swimming the back stroke. All your weight on one leg, or the other.

The femoral artery will not get crowded in the stand up mode. I've always suspected the reason so many parachuters break their legs upon landing is poor blood flow to the legs caused by their body harnesses, which also have two attachment lines.

Jomo

Are you the fella that does entire removals with a handsaw? I cant remember if we have met on the forums before.

I've been climbing wearing ergonomic Moto-X knee braces now for about 10 years. Asterisk is the brand I wear. I love them, even this pair's about six years old and outdated. Getting them to stay up exactly where they should be was problematic, atleast if you followed their instructions tightening the upper calf straps to hold them in place. Another blood restricting bummer that I solved. Now all the straps are comfortably loose, allowing the blood to flow. Thanks to my manly girdle!

That's surgical tubing keeping my braces comfortably in place. Takes me half an hour to get dressed to climb though!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 36
Well yeah, I'm one of those strategic take down climbers that likes to brush with a handsaw, putting it into a neat pile, butts all forward. I spoil the snot out of my groundies! All the wood's done with a 200T though. That's usually chucked on top of the brush piles to avoid making holes n stuff.

Don't get me wrong though. I loves my Hobbs n bull lines n pullies!

Takes a pretty strategic tree removal though before I break them out.

Jomo

This is radically new shit!

Thanks Jerry......I think,,,,,,

I made my disclaimer right there in my first post mate!

Seriously though, I'm an old schooler in the sense that a certain level of physical fitness and strength should be a requisite for the nastiest strategic removals, at least commercially.

Developing these push button, or even voice actuated up and down, out and in Cadillac climbing systems has a huge potential of hurting folks, who probably shouldn't be up there, if they can't muscle up their supporting line 15-20 feet on arm power alone. This in the case of emergencies, that will happen if yu do it long enough. 40 years now for me.

You're the best Jerry, seriously!

Jomo

The climber becomes a marionette?
I think an impaired blood supply causing skydiving compression fractures is highly speculative. And nonsensical.
Carry on, Jomo.....I'm enthralled.

Interesting concept. Do you find it hinders your legs maneuverability ?

Just the opposite, it increases leg maneuverability exponentially.

Perhaps even dangerously, though I don't think so, because all you have to do is bend your kness, which causes the rings to bottom out against your lower D's, which then takes on the burden, like a traditional saddle's lower D's do.

This stand up system may even be safer in that there're two major supporting lines you're hanging from, both of which would have to be cut for the climber to fall.

Jomo

Thanks Jerry......I think,,,,,,

I made my disclaimer right there in my first post mate!

Seriously though, I'm an old schooler in the sense that a certain level of physical fitness and strength should be a requisite for the nastiest strategic removals, at least commercially.

Developing these push button, or even voice actuated up and down, out and in Cadillac climbing systems has a huge potential of hurting folks, who probably shouldn't be up there, if they can't muscle up their supporting line 15-20 feet on arm power alone. This in the case of emergencies, that will happen if yu do it long enough. 40 years now for me.

:thumbup:

Thanks for righting my pics MB.

I'm obviously a fairly lame IPaD user.

I'm somewhat embarrassed with my Jack fiasco. But it was an honest mistake, my apologies again to Jack and his friends here.

Hope I can still climb n cut at 70!

Jomo

Jomo I like your ideas man. Thinking outside the box is where great inventions come from IMO. I am an ex sport skydiver and have experienced horrific leg pain when I was jumping rental gear. One of the last jumps I made before I retired to the sport (for now) I had to rent a rig since I had sold my customized personal rig. After opening the leg straps were cutting the blood supply to both my legs on my flight down to the point where it was almost unbearable! By the time I touched down my legs were asleep! Pins and needles they could have easily given out and caused a break. In short I agree with your theory.
Getting back to your design I am thinking about the movie Mission Impossible ;) I don't have the problem with my tree harness but I can see the advantages of your ideas. Definetely get some video for us if you can!

Mark

Jomo, I recently had a similar idea only tying into your normal bridge ring. Check out the battery powered ascender thread in the gear forum.

Back