Stand Up Climbing Systems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks CllimbMIT, I appreciate it. I'll be updating this thread on a fairly regular basis, mostly with pics though.

Hey Levi, innovation for me is kinda like a disease, almost a mental disorder. You guys would crack up at some of the stuff I slap together at times! I too dig portable 18, 24, and even 36 volt electric tools to power some of my contraptions.

But commercially speaking, pneumatics is the cat's meow for the tree biz, with a minimum of 35 GPM on a portable compressor, some Maibo hand shears and chainsaw, a custom made hose assembly on my reel at the base of the tree?
You guys will get spoiled rotten like me too, in fairly short order!

Jomo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 46
How often do you wear that?

I like transfering from D's to feet.

FWIW to the general audience, suspension trauma is supposed to be managed in a tree situation if you can get the lanyard from D to D looped under the feet, giving a way to bear weight on the feet. This could be helpful if its not possible to bring them down quickly, or while waiting for help.

Catching big trunk wood with a block and Hobbs Sean.

I let my Block's bull line get too short on an overly fat cedar lower piece. Not enough line on my timber hitch wraps to go around 50% piece's circumference, only about a third.

Came undone hit me like a 3/4 inch string trimmer, around the middle of my back, knocking all the wind out of me, leaving a black and blue welt around my sides and back despite the thick bull riding polyester vest.

Called it a day, went and got a thirty foot long pulley block bull line, suffered for days, but nothing broken. Luck O the Irish!

Jomo

The climber becomes a marionette?
I think an impaired blood supply causing skydiving compression fractures is highly speculative. And nonsensical.
Carry on, Jomo.....I'm enthralled.

Guess I'm just.....Falling to pieces mate!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9yZ1uI5yPbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Jomo

This is my favorite new song to climb to. Good stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s3u9IrGgtXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomo

This is my favorite new music:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kZxEI9E9aP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Having watched a few vids of younger climbers doing crane removals, I've noted a common mistake many make on excurrent conifers with horizontal and droopy laterals going out in every direction. Particularly those behind the climber when he makes his release cut.

If something's not done? Said climbers get the snot brushed out of them, that's what. Magargal and I attended a seminar on the campus of SFSU, on crane removal, with a live demonstration, with a big 70 ton crane.

First climber got brushed from behind when a droopy lateral spun on the hook, then a second climber, same deal. Both a little scraped and bloodied but nothing serious. The third climber got the pine done without incident.

Rich asks me how I avoid that happening?

I keep enough rated nylon loops and biners on my saddle to tie off and cut any threatening laterals behind me, to the next pick below me, and cut it off the piece above/behind me.

The groundies can send the rigging back on the hook once that lower pick is on the ground.

Somebody got a better method?

And yes Bixler my man, you made that very mistake in your Grass Valley crane removal vid.

Jomo

Thanks CllimbMIT, I appreciate it. I'll be updating this thread on a fairly regular basis, mostly with pics though.

Hey Levi, innovation for me is kinda like a disease, almost a mental disorder. You guys would crack up at some of the stuff I slap together at times! I too dig portable 18, 24, and even 36 volt electric tools to power some of my contraptions.

But commercially speaking, pneumatics is the cat's meow for the tree biz, with a minimum of 35 GPM on a portable compressor, some Maibo hand shears and chainsaw, a custom made hose assembly on my reel at the base of the tree?
You guys will get spoiled rotten like me too, in fairly short order!

Jomo
Airsaws have obviously come a long way in the last 30 years, I can remember gnawing on poles and cross arms back in the day and wishing for a handsaw.

Actually they haven't changed much at all. These Unitec pneumatic chainsaws have been used by our underwater Seal Teams for a long time.

http://www.csunitec.com/saws/air-chain-saws.html

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BSrRm_S6_ZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

25 lbs is bearable for a 24 inch bar.

Jomo

Okay, back to the T bar, the collapsible T bar, used in the stand up saddle.

For reasons nautical, I'm going to call it a ballast bar, where I want to store all the bulky BS normally attached to my saddle. Trimsaws, loppers, first aid kits, whatever, except my boot saw and knife.

Even if that ballast weighs 20 lbs? It's still going to feel like a feather, almost a comforting counterweight to balance yourself with out on a long limb walk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 66
Can someone with an IPaD explain how to spin that bloody pic 90 degrees?

Thanks,

Jomo

Regardless, my apologies, thanks MB.

At any rate, I'm sure many of you are familiar with the varieties of squiggly coiled airhoses used on most air tools, allowing a full range of reach, while retracting into a neat little coil when stored in the ballast bar, above, behind or in front of you.

The ballast bar can be widened up a bit, maybe a tad over the thickness of an equipped climber. Becoming almost a protective and deflective umbrella above your head when vertical. Containing a treasure trove of pneumatic, cutting, drilling, reciprocating etc air tools, from which to choose and configure for each task performed aloft, removal, trim or cable.

All the while you the climber remain sleek and trim with no hard edges, like a seal in the ocean above!

It's quickly becoming a push button pull trigger world!

Jomo

Turn your head 90 degrees counter clockwise

That's what I did Bix buddy, when I watched you get brushed on that crane pick in Grass Valley!

You gonna cop to it or what mate?

Jomo

Another old school technique that saves energy when dealing with bigwood and you still have an upper TIP?

Be that TIP crane or tree? Make all your pies/directional cuts while on your lower D's, right up until the release cut, before switching to your upper D's, and pulling your upper line out, in the case of a crane TIP.

Take advantage of the comfort and ease of maneuverability an upper TIP affords for as long as safely possible cutting fat wood with a med/large saw.

Life on the wall with just your upper D's is tiring, IMO.

Jomo

Can someone with an IPaD explain how to spin that bloody pic 90 degrees?

Thanks,

Jomo

I have an iphone but would assume they are similar. Go to the photo you want to rotate and then hit the edit button and it should have a rotate button on the bottom. It is the bottom left in my case, with the iphone with the newest ios update...hope that helps

Greg

The pics I post from my iPads library are oriented right when I download to attachments here. Quite annoying.

Perhaps best solved via photobucket?

Jomo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 100
K B n chill.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 94