SRT near miss

I sipped, not chugged. He sipped 'shine and miller lite with the Vortex neck bottle! Erik helped. Jay did the big dent in the 'shine, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haven't had a chance to try it. We went out today but 25mph winds and single digit high temps kept me grounded. Next week isn't looking much better. Monday and Tuesday I am going to be at the Arborist conference but it's supposed to be - 4 and - 6 for highs those days. We can't win this winter. I'll let you know how it works in spring.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I haven't been able to footlock since blowing out my knee in the late 90's. I'm afraid to even try SRT because of that. Still lots of residual pain from nearly two decades ago.
:(

I'm lucky all the trees here in Fla are short. I put a 25' ladder up in them and body thrust with an O-rig the rest of the way.

ya, that suck!.

What does that have to do with SRT, at all (no offense!)? You can SRT without both legs (single foot ascender), or just your arms, especially with a 3:1 set near your PSP (primary suspension point)/ TIP.

Pardon me, but fighting friction from a moving rope all the time is like fighting the tide, IMO. Its useful for going down, like from a crane, or before felling the stub, and certain situations, but few, IME/ IMO.

If I climbed more than a tiny bit of DdRT, I'd probably be looking at the O-ring system closely. You can go with theoretical 3:1 with a pulley up top, rather than a theoretical 2:1, and still pull your way up.

Can't beat a ladder for those trees, a lot of pruning trees, too, IMO.

Something as detailed as SRT I'd learn better if I had someone showing me personally. Say a coworker. And since it requires a fair amount of gear -I can't justify buying it all only to find out I suck. Plus at nearly 50, I can't imagine going to my local park, setting up and practicing.

No way would I purchase everything then go out to a clients home with zero experience, only to fumble my way through it. Talk about embarrassing. I learn best one on one. I'm slow like that....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear ya. It's not for everyone. My partner has tried just about every piece of SRT gear around and he is not a fan of most of it. He keeps trying it know because he sees how much I like it. We have wasted more than a few bucks on gear we didn't like. The Petzl Rig being the last at $170. But I also found a way of climbing that is much easier for me and allows me to do things that I have never been able to do before. So it was money well wasted imo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Almost everyone learns best with individualized instruction. I WILL get my helmet cam dialed in at one point. SRT is free, with the gear you have, plus a piece of wood... Wooden Rope Wrench. OG.

I will make some step by step videos at some point. I really, really believe that if you were to so much as practice without gear weight, saw snangles, etc on 5 climbs, you'll be sold, and working more efficiently for the rest of your career.

Not to worry about keeping up, as I can't edit, so the boring parts in between will
be there.

You might at least start with a foot ascender for your O-ring system. You've got a lotta miles on the shoulders, etc.

Might be different in FL trees. Sometimes, here, we can be 50' or more feet to a branch.

Szajer, we are the same age...I learned to climb SRT in the last 6 months, from reading all about it here, watching the videos, then bought some gear, maybe $200 worth (Hitch Hiker, petzl basic, revolver) made up some homemade bits, already had a pantin...and tried it out from the rafters on my back porch! Then I moved to the tree out front of our house on a day off...short up and downs to get the feel and adjust the gear.

I also thought I'd never get it without being able to see it in person, but I tried it. I deployed it first time on a small tree job that was only going to take and hour or so anyway, and told the client I had some new gear and I would not charge him extra if I was slower than normal just because I had new gear.

Its been a learning curve, but I would NOT be without it now. It made Monday's large oak deadwood job much more pleasurable than DdRT...but today in a little liquidamber, it was back to the Hitch Climber DdRT, more options in the box!

Fear not...and by the way, you got THREE more years till 50...plenty of time :)

As Sean suggested to use a foot ascender with the O-rig, I really like that idea. I also have CT foot pantin I recently purchased and will give it a shot when I have another long climb.

Up north where it was 60' to the first branch I would've probably been an SRT pro. But I'll tell ya, I do like not doing those long pulls day in day out as I did for years. We're getting old my friends -and I worked this body real hard proving my worth for a loooooong time. Thank Gawd I cook for my main living now...

Back