Sprayer/Liquid Fert. Rig

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I keep getting calls to do spraying, and unfortunately I don't have a sprayer so I have been referring someone else.

I might be in the market for a sprayer unit once I can pay off one of my loans.

What brands should I be looking at?

Do they make a sprayer that I can also use from liquid fert injections into the soil? (very important $$$$:)

Please help!

B

I've heard good things about Jim Bean pumps, and I'd have it on a trailer rig.

Here local like, I'd be tempted to put it together myself.

What kinda specs? A normal water transfer pump doesn't make the kinda pressure you need to get your squirt on.

i built my own soil injection set up but i to would like to get into PHC next year. watching this thread with interest

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carl, it is a water transfer pump...can we use the engine and maybe all I'll have to do is buy a pump? I am picking it up tommorrow.

I am kinda clueless to all this home made stuff, your the number magician, hook me up!

Willie, post pics/specs PLEASE...this is something I want to start doing.

First off, I don't know a single thing about spray rigs. But if I were contemplating getting into spraying, I'd be researching different brands and then I'd be shopping for a used rig. Even if it's not the best or most desirable brand, it will get you into the business at a lot lower cost than new. Use it to learn and build a client base and then in 2-3 years you can buy a new unit with the experience and knowledge necessary to make the right choice.

First off, I don't know a single thing about spray rigs. But if I were contemplating getting into spraying, I'd be researching different brands and then I'd be shopping for a used rig. Even if it's not the best or most desirable brand, it will get you into the business at a lot lower cost than new. Use it to learn and build a client base and then in 2-3 years you can buy a new unit with the experience and knowledge necessary to make the right choice.

I look every week in the local classifieds, nothing to be found as of yet. Not necessarily wanting a new one, but now that Carl mentioned building one it doesn't seem like rocket science and can keep the cost down....

It's also plausible to build it on a skid you put in the back of the 1 ton, however, I'd prefer a trailer getup (cost a bit more).

What HP engine?

Do you want to do foliage apps, or just soil inject? Soil inject uses less pressure, foliage I'd suppose could be used for either (pressure is or could be adjustable).

Give me a day or so (probably tonight) and I should have an idea drawn up with a guestimated price.

You could get setup fairly cheaply ($1k or less) but your GPM will be reduced. Like I says, give me a lil time.

I have a sprayer and have never used it since I have been in the tree business. It is a 3 pt. hook up and has a 100 gal tank and a pto driven piston pump. I was thinking about it at one time but I get only a couple of calls per year and I would have to get a bunch of permits and stuff to operate legally here in CA. To squirt up in a tree very far and to break up the material you need 150 psi pressure or so, to spray stuff with a spray nozzle you only need 40 psi or so. I don't know about fertilizer injection I've never done that. I had a weed sprayer that we got from my uncle and it had a 5 hp honda motor and a Hypro pump and a 200 gal stainless tank and was all homemade but my Dad gave it to my cousin. I don't know if they are even listening Burnham.:)

ill get it together and get some pics tommorow. i can load mine by hand in the back of the truck as i have quick couplers. id like to build a skid so i could load it with the mini and forks, just havent tackled that in a while.

steve, you have a bucket, ive been thinking that a regular spray rig on a skid in the back of the bucket could get your height, minimize over spray and give more even coverage. may have to pass on large back yard jobs though

i caught it the first time around but the only thing i like jim for is bbq sauce:D

Yeah yeah, what's in a name anyways?

For squirting the tops of the trees I figure 400+ psi, gpm is where the $$$ starts adding up.

Carl, if I can reach 50-60' that would be great. According to a guy who has looked into purchasing a unit before, you would want 20-30GPM to reach my goal.

Oddly, my insurance coverage includes spraying.........but I can't legally apply pesticides without a State license....which I CANNOT simply take and pass a test and pay a fee to adquire. The Special Interests got a handy dandy law passed that one must have 2 full years of experience applying pesticides commerciallly to qualify to take the test.
Meanwhile , my customer who is already in the pest control biz can't justify getting into tree sprayng because it will jack his insurance $4000 per year.
I had a guy offer me a tank, pump and wand 3 years ago for $500 along with an offer to perjure himself regarding my experience working for him. I passed . Silly me. A pox on the infernal government.

Not to sound like Tom but....:P I have a soil injection rig I built up myself but I don't have pictures right here right now.

I will post pictures tonight.

Here are some points to consider.

In calif. to spray herbicides/controlled chemicals, you need to have a Lic. which is expensive and requires not only money (3-4 bills a year) to maintain the cert, but you also have to do alot of paper work, from taking GPS coordinates of every location sprayed, to amounts used, where and how much and what for. Also you must attend classes where they 'teach' you how to understand new labels and material handling requirements.
Quarterly reports must be submitted to the state.

Public perception is set against spraying aerial sprays in my area. Anyone sees a guy out there with a geyser hosing down a tree and they freak out. Drift onto a neighbor's property, on their car, etc. and it is a lawsuit just begging to happen.

Most insect/disease problems can be dealt with by micro-injection (IMO). No one really even knows you are doing it.

So, I built up a soil injection rig and do soil injections with it. It also works well as a pressure washer which is handy for me in hosing off mud and stuff from my equipment.

I just replaced the engine with a 9 horse honda.
You MUST get an engine with a gear reduction. You cannot easily buy an engine without the gear reduction and then install the gear box separately as they are mated to each engine.

Overall, I don't make a hell of alot of money doing fert. jobs, but it is a valuable tool to have in my arsenal. I have gotten alot of work from other tree services which refer me to these jobs.

I will post pictures tonight. Hope this helps.

200 gallon tank with agitator, manual hose reel (which works just fine), and 200 feet of hose.
Got the tank used and built up everything else from scraps and odds and ends.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=584

In kit form, minus the tank and frame:
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1193

That's a medium height rig, should get you to 45-50'. The main thing I was looking for was the pump specs, which is 21gpm @700PSI.

Here is a larger pump (28gpm), for similar money (from these folks) as the smaller 21gpm pump. (Just figured this out=>) the pump below is spec'ed to run off a PTO, 540rpm max.

http://www.shopetsonline.com/product-p/9910-d1064.htm

You'll need at least 17hp (at 540rpm), assuming a 70% effiecency (based of the above pump/engine setup).

The D813GRGI (rated for 3600rpm input) cost nearly $800 more

http://www.shopetsonline.com/product-p/9910-d813grgi.htm

For the (well) under $800 bucks, you might be able to purchase a reducer to slow the 3600 down to 5-600rpm. I'll look into that this eve.

Back