Wet looking spots on liquidambar

Good call Steve.

Shothole borers like to munch on over 200 kinda trees.

But it's the fungus they distribute that kills.

Helluva way to get business....

Jomo

Bleeding canker, I'm thinking for sure. You can close the thread. :lol: I might not be so sure, but the fungi really likes Liquidambar.

Attachments

• tree-diseases-bleeding-canker.jpg
    tree-diseases-bleeding-canker.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 34
  • clip_image002_0016.jpg
    clip_image002_0016.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 33
mmm i dunno, pics are too small to zoom in much. The biggest blotch looks like it has a hole at the top, indicating insect. But the others look like lesions.

Seeing that hose at the base and suspecting sgr/deep planting indicates phytophthora; VERY treatable. Attached has my protocol fwiw.

Attachments

• Dendro 0912 Stubborn Streaks 295kb.pdf
    282.7 KB · Views: 11
The canker is also a result of stress to the tree, too deep planting or other irregularities. The brownish coloration at the sunken areas in Nick's photo is also an indicator. Good to consider species susceptibility.

Adding to this post from many years ago. I’m going through something similar with black spots on my liquidambar. As you can see from the pictures, the black spots are moving up the trunk, and we are concerned that they will soon take over the tree. Curious if the original poster has any updates from that tree?

We are almost certain that the spots are a result of root damage and soil compaction from construction that we recently had done near the tree. There used to be a brick pathway next to the tree, and we had that pathway removed and replaced with concrete. A small retaining wall was built 8 feet away from the trunk as well. Construction workers probably cut a few roots in the process unfortunately.

First picture was taken in August, and the most recent one a few days ago. We had a few arborists come out back in September, and both said that all we can do is add mulch around the tree and see what happens. There used to be grass on one side of the tree, and they think that in addition to construction work, the lack of water during the many months of construction may have caused additional stress to the tree. There was some crown dieback, and leaves turned a little early this year, but other than that and the ugly spots, the tree looks relatively healthy. We would hate to lose the tree, so any advice would be appreciated.
IMG_4026.jpeg IMG_4243.jpeg IMG_4309.jpeg IMG_4474.jpeg IMG_4610.jpeg IMG_5072.jpeg

These arborists that you had look at it, are they in the business of pesticide or fungicide application? If not, I’d get a consult from and arborist that really specializes in PHC.

Root collar excavation/ stem-girdling root investigation and treatment.
It's too deep in soil.

Mulch 1-hand width deep with wood chips, with a 1-hand wide gap at the trunk ( once you find the root collar).

Deep root irrigation needle for watering.

Pic of retaining wall. How much soil was added or taken away?

It's multifactorial.

Lots claim to be arborists. Some lay-people think it's the politically-correct name for the tree-cutter-guy.
Last night I heard about an arborist dumping a tree on a power line.
There is no "studying care of trees" when killing trees or removing dead trees... That's a service an arborist may or may not perform.

I do lots of killing of dying trees...sometimes arborist training is the knowledge-base I rely on to indicate to the client their tree is dying or higher risk, and why... But no care and study of trees is involved in removal, which is the basis of many tree service companies work.

I know a two local Certified- Arborists with loaders, big chippers, big chip trucks. These tools are for large tree demolition. I think they are likely going to keep demolishing big trees, as cable-and-brace support systems and soil drenching with fungicides doesn't make the payment on an 18" chipper and big trucks.

Last edited:
Back