Trunk Injections: Fertilizer

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Any of you trunk injectors out there using ferts? We were using Mauget's Stemix for a while, then when we switched to Arborjet, we eventually switched to their fert formula, but I'm thinking about switching back to Stemix. Anyone else used either of them enough to chime in?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Arborjet product we get is MIN-Jet Iron w/ Manganese

Guaranteed Analysis:
Iron (Fe): 0.75%
Manganese (Mn): 0.38%
Zinc (Zn): 0.2%
Boron (B): 0.1%
Copper (Cu): 0.1%
Other Ingredients: 98.7%
Total: 100.0%

The other product we use is Mauget Stemix Plus HP

Guaranteed Analysis:
Nitrogen (N) 1.21%
Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) 0.92%
Potash (K2O) 1.00%
Calcium 0.18%
Copper 0.08%
Iron 0.27%
Magnesium 0.09%
Manganese 0.08%
Zinc 0.29%

I've used stemix, uptake was super long, like 24hrs. So I've kind of gone away from using them because of it, I hated leaving them unattended. I think you can buy stemix in bulk to use with Arbor Jet, or other systems. I'd probably go that route if I did it more.

Nick, those are two completely different products, apples and oranges. What is it you are trying to fix? Without a soil or tissue sample you are just shooting blind. I consider trunk injections for nutrients a last choice for special situations.

I've used stemix, uptake was super long, like 24hrs. So I've kind of gone away from using them because of it, I hated leaving them unattended...

What you're describing is exactly why I left the capsule system. I never have time to come back. And waiting around 3 hours for uptake is absolute bull crap. Ever since switching to Arborjet, uptake takes seconds or minutes. I ain't looking back!

Nick, those are two completely different products, apples and oranges. What is it you are trying to fix? Without a soil or tissue sample you are just shooting blind. I consider trunk injections for nutrients a last choice for special situations.

Very often I see trunk injection as the only fertilizing option. What makes it different from other options that to a last resort?

I want a general purpose fert. That is what stemix is sold as. Minjet, sortof, too.

love
nick

Once you guys have sorted the original question...I have another one

What's your take on repeat stem injections on the same tree? I'm using the Wedgle Direct Inject for elm leaf beetle. Some of the first trees I did this spring were massive and the uptake wasn't entirely effective. What's the chat about repeat injections next spring, position of old holes vs position of new ones?

I try to convay soil amendments/proper mulching first, then I'd go liquid soil fert, then trunk injections as a last resort. Always spiral holes upwards to minimize chances of hitting the same spot in the futur.

....Very often I see trunk injection as the only fertilizing option. What makes it different from other options that to a last resort? ?....

It is not a good idea to bypass the soil's biosystems unless there is no better option. Like when a tree is land locked by concrete with no way to get at the root zone, but even then don't assume the tree would benefit from NPK. Not all trees need a perfect forest setting to flourish, many do very well with bacterial associates that don't need the massive amounts of forest litter for nutrient cycling.

Of the two products you mentioned, Min-Jet Iron is a micro nutrient formula designed to correct specific deficiencies such as iron chlorosis. Chlorosis is the flu symptom of the tree world and many things besides lack of iron will cause yellow leaves. Stemix is just a macro, NPK formulation, with some other things the tree may or may not need. How do you determine what, if anything, the tree needs? We do a soil test or if needed a tissue test.

Trees are not an annual or an ag crop. They put a great deal of their photosynthesized nutrients back into the soil to create a long term and stable biosystem. This is a system of dependency, beneficial to all involved as long as there is the need. Many studies have shown these nutrient exchanges stop if an outside source is introduced. Trees will actually break a mycorrhizal bond if there is no need.

DMc that is a very interesting post. Thanks for that, it makes sense.

It is not a good idea to bypass the soil's biosystems unless there is no better option. Like when a tree is land locked by concrete with no way to get at the root zone, ...

Apologies- I think that's the issue- We just weren't speaking about the same things- the concrete-locked trees is like my WHOLE world..

I have used mauget.

Most of my experience is with injecting fungicides, not nutrients, though the principles of injection are the same.

You don't want to just blast the stuff into a tree whatever it is. You still are gunning for uptake. I preferred the larger volume tank method of injection. Injection site and transpiration rates are crucial to injection. Root flares are amazingly active sites on trees. Another very important factor is using super sharp bits for injection sites. You want the drill to cut in without high temperature. You do not want it tearing and burning into your injection site.

I have injected hundreds of trees. It was my gateway into arboriculture from college. When there wasn't injection work, I got to chip brush. Hence, I learned to climb fast ;-)

Agree 100% with Dave. Also see Nicks point in the urban jungle. Rarely have seen N,P,K shortage in house yard or forest situation, usually shortage was in trace elements due to pH related availability issues. This is usually a soil problem needing pH adjustment or moisture management corrections. Saw this latter situation mostly with curb planters in parking lots. Limited moisture to carry nutrients to absorbing roots.

Back