Splicing X Rings

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
attachment.php

Cool Nick.

What do you recon the WLL with the 3/4" tenex is?

I'm wondering if it would be worth splicing one with Antals and keeping it in the bucket.

Just an update: I have been using this thing a lot lately. I really like it. It is quick, bomber, and easy on the rope. We have been negative blocking wood down on it, catching tops, etc. Working down the spar Duane was using like it a R/r friction saver with the rings spread apart like you would see working a spar down DRT. After making the cut he just spread the rings and slid it down 5 or 6 feet to make the next cut, once the piece is tied the tension keeps everything in place and once its caught it isnt going anywhere.

I tried to break them, then tried to break the rope using them, no luck! I havent set or retrieved from the ground yet (the way I have it set up you have to use the throwline for both, replacing the rigging line at the end with the throwline then removing the rings), but I dont think I would go with the small ring/big ring setup. The large rings offer increased bend radius and accommodate larger sling material. Considering the type of rigging we have been using it for so far I am glad I went with the 3/4's tenex.

It is great in the bucket!

I definitely exceeded my estimated 1000lb WLL. Both videos in the winch thread used this setup as the terminal point.

A little late in the thread, but I found this vid for the locked Brummel with only one rope's end workable, :
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rU1b1iYgdgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The problem is trying to get the thimble in the eye and have it be tight enough that it wont fall out... the reweave brummel worked fine for me. IT looks a bit loose upon inspection but it has certainly handled the loads without sliding or tightening.

With the mobius, above, you set the eye length before flipping it inside out.

Thanks guys. So as I mentioned I used throw line to lock stitch it. Is there a reason it should've been larger diameter thread? Samson specs say use a thread the same width as a strand or in the case of TEC both strands.

Nick, what's that penny surface, and what is it coated with? Is it a table, counter, floor? Saw a floor in one of the threads coated with pennies, perhaps the Random Picture Thread.

That is a coffee table I made. I have (mis)matching ones. One is a scrabble board laid into the table and the other is 2 layers of pennies, the lowest is flush edge to edge and the top layer is random so the whole surface is textured. Both have a heavy layer of poly-acrilic on top.

This one is for a friend, I will call it the Redi-Rig. It wont be used with a pulley or a prusik. It uses the small XRR and the 2.5" pensafe ring. Its essentially a rigging oriented R/r friction saver. It can be set from the ground with a throwline or in the tree remotely using a rigging line. Retrieved with a simple overhand knot and designed for light rigging it should be a sleek, simple, effective tool for climbing and bucket prunes or small takedowns.

Used as a redirect for a rigging line, as long as the small ring is set on the 'up' side a ground man can tie a knot in the end of the line and the climber/cutter can easily pull the Redi-Rig back to themselves.

IMG_5823.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

IMG_5832.JPG

[
IMG_5835.JPG

The 1/2 inch rope has a MBS of 9500 lbs.

This one is for a friend, I will call it the Redi-Rig. It wont be used with a pulley or a prusik. It uses the small XRR and the 2.5" pensafe ring. Its essentially a rigging oriented R/r friction saver. It can be set from the ground with a throwline or in the tree remotely using a rigging line. Retrieved with a simple overhand knot and designed for light rigging it should be a sleek, simple, effective tool for climbing and bucket prunes or small takedowns.

Used as a redirect for a rigging line, as long as the small ring is set on the 'up' side a ground man can tie a knot in the end of the line and the climber/cutter can easily pull the Redi-Rig back to themselves.

IMG_5823.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

IMG_5832.JPG

[
IMG_5835.JPG

The 1/2 inch rope has a MBS of 9500 lbs.
You should market this to the tree world as The Bonner Rigging Ring Sling and have your name printed on the side of the Antal. LOL

Here is the retrieval end of Randy's uSAVER. The XRR, in addition to performing the choked retrieval, also allows you to use the saver in traditional basket setup or with a equalized TIP setup.

10mm OP

IMG_5844.JPG

IMG_5847.JPG

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5855.JPG

Back