Ring sling

Holler if you do! Something that won’t rust I guess. Paint won’t last, but maybe there’s a hard coating I could do with a kitchen oven. Some type of stainless would probably be best though, I doubt I’d ever subject it to abuse that would chip or crack it.

Even unpainted steel would last for years and years. I'll see what i got sitting around come spring when it all melts :lol: If i ever get around to it I'll send you some, the least i could do for the bosuns seat you sent!!!

Yep, heavy duty frictionsaver exactly. We often rig Whole trees, install a running bowline using throwline on removal tree. used to natty crotch in an adjacent tree if a hardwood was available, but this is kinder to the Rope imo. Also allows rigging from conifers where natural crotch isn't an option. Used to set a block, but this way you don't have to climb back up to get it.

Can the poor thermal conduction of steel be an issue in this application, justifying the aluminum in all the brands?

If it is you should be using blocks. I can't wrap my head around aluminum as a rigging material, stress cracks are real.

Add me to your steel thimble list Kyle! We very rarely do repeated long lowering with this technique. It's mostly cut, pull into rigging point, cut a log off the bottom, lower, cut etc.

Back