Ring sling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Took about an hour tops. Baileysonline.com sold me the ring for 78 bucks including shipping.
Jamie Goddard the theropeguru.com gave me a Random Hank of the rope

Have you used rings, Gerry?

They are cool. I use them for quick apps mostly. To do a big TD I greatly prefer a block over rings, ftr.

Agreed, they are nothing new. I'm not sure why they are choosing al other than for weight. Steel or better yet stainless would be ideal i would think.

To get that large bend radius, steel would be heavy, no?

The AL used is extremely wear resistant, so that's a good thing. You'd know more about how that is achieved than I would.

Also, doesn't AL dissipate heat better than steel?

I didn't think they were all that abrasion resistant; and I've seen pics of them cracking. I dunno, natural crotch and then blocks for larger stuff works well enough for me

I like em for small, quick things as I mentioned.

Mine haven't shown any wear in a couple or 3 years.

I presume cracking is due to abuse and misuse by your typical wacko tree guy.

I’ve made a few too. Very fast and simple to make. I was surprised to see how much they sell for. Anyone can make an ultrasling with no splicing experience and no special tools.

The rings from Elevation Canada are every bit as good as Xrings or Notch branded rings, and significantly less expensive.

Frans, is that 3/4” Tenex? And what length did you use and what is the finished length? I’ve got a piece stuck back for an Ultra. May take the plunge tomorrow.
3/4 tenet. Finished length is 8’. Double that for overall length. Pathetically easy to make

I’ve made a few too. Very fast and simple to make. I was surprised to see how much they sell for. Anyone can make an ultrasling with no splicing experience and no special tools.

The rings from Elevation Canada are every bit as good as Xrings or Notch branded rings, and significantly less expensive.
Huh Never heard of “elevation Canada”! Thanks I’ll check them out

I was gonna ask why it wasn't permanent also, but is that a problem? Any chance of it popping out when weight gets dropped on it?

Link to the rings at Elevation Canada, keep in mind the prices are in Canadian dollars, so the biggest ring, size #3 110Kn is 60$ and in US dollars that’s about 48$. The Notch size #3, same size, but rated at 98Kn is 110$

I’m only using the size 2 rings, 67 Kn. Plenty for my needs.

KIMG0336.JPG
I did two straight buries for the bend right ring but I like the girth idea! Seems much quicker to splice and maybe a little more versatile. I'd reckon a slight decrease in strength but probably negligible.

It appears all tuck to me.

Pulled the core?
It's teufelberger T-Rex. Hollow braid 12 strand.
I've thought about pulling the core on 16 strand and trying to make an ultra sling. Might be too tightly woven to make the Brummels though.

16 strand locked brummels are possible, slowly increase opening between strands. Reducing the tail tip gets it through enough to then grab with pliers. Don’t space the passes too close, they just form a lump no matter how hard you try to pull it flat, the orange XTC is good example.
6D58723E-9A0D-485D-AC90-CBFFB0128E10.jpeg

Back