Splicing Double Esterloin

jtrouse

Treehouser
Just wondered what length i should make a eye sling for using with a porta wrap, also what size eye have you found works well to choke it off on?

Just wondered what length i should make a eye sling for using with a porta wrap, also what size eye have you found works well to choke it off on?

depends on what size tree your going to wrap the sling around. Make a real long one and a shorter one if needed.

Or are you refering the length of the eye?

I use loopies and shackle/binner to connect the porty to it.

The size of the eye depends on how you attach your sling to the porty. If you're like Carl and use a shackle/biner to attach it then your eye can be pretty small. However if you're girth hitching the porty directly to the sling I'd say you'll probably want at least an 8 inch eye.

As far as length, it depends on what size trees you have around. If you want to be safe make it longer than you think you'll need.

I spliced mine to the porta wrap and made it 4m long. It was 6m long but i cut it back cause i never used the full length.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wondering what the rule of thumb is to work out the length for the short section of fid and long section of fid for making marks 2 and 3 for double braid.

this is right isnt it for the first mark on the rope its 24 rope diameters, since i dont have fids i use fire wid and splice wand but am unsure about the 2nd mark on the core whether i do it 8 diameters? what does 1 1/2 tail lengths mean on the bt directions?? ive got 5/8 inch line im trying to splice.

Back