questions about class 1 stablebraid eye splice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
rigged some big hickory today and she held excellent, (YES, we did a pull on it with the maasdam a few days ago, prior to rigging over a house)

Nice tight crossover.
A sloppy one is murder when trying to splice rope with a tighter outer braid like the Yale 11.7's

Brian, did you stitch it?

I usually stick a few stitches in their using some of the tapered cover I have removed. The key I find is how you try and finish the bury and splice, emphasis on not letting either side of the crossover bunch up/become loose.

Last edited:
I've never stitched them. It wouldn't hurt, but I've never felt the need. Once the tails are buried there's no way for it to loosen.

update: I have re re-done the splice (it got cut or something, and the core came out of the cover right on the apex of the eye)
it has come out even better than the last, fairly tight, did a whole removal on the eye and it didnt move at all, so far so good

ive also spliced up an 8ft ultra ring sling out of some 5/8" tenex tec, with a no.2 elevation canada thimble, im yet to load test it, but ive recently gotten a 2200 pound capstan winch, I will load test with that and my stablebraid here soon

not sure if load testing is normal, but I like to put all my eyes under 1-2000 pounds to "set" them, and make sure they arent going to slide on me, when im rigging a 1-5K piece over someones house

Back